Flowcharts are essential agile project management tools used in agile project development. An agile flowchart is used to represent the flow of the processes in agile project development. An ideal agile flowchart should indicate where a process begins or ends, the direction of the logic, input or output operations, processing being done, a decision being made and so on. The flow chart for a process should try to capture each activity from the starting point to the end point in order to visualize the processes better. Different symbols in an agile flowchart denote different things and some of the most commonly used symbols are reflected below:
Benefits of Agile Flowcharts:
Here are the benefits that an agile team can utilize using agile flowcharts in agile software development.
Agile Spaghetti diagram:
- Helps analyzing a process
- Enables designing a process
- Helps documenting a process
- Helps managing a process
- Visualizes the loopholes in a process
- Helps in identifying steps required
A Spaghetti diagram also termed as the physical process flow or point-to-point work flow diagram is used in agile projects to visualize the physical movement of items on the work floor during the process of the project. Spaghetti diagram helps to identify the unnecessary movement in the process that is creating waste and enables opportunities to expedite the process flow.
Steps to create a Spaghetti diagram:
- Step 1: Sketch the work floor
- Step 2: Mark the locations of major points on the floor
- Step 3: Draw a line to sketch the trips made by the people on the project to accomplish their work
Along with more trips, more lines get added to the diagram. The more the number of trips, the thicker and more cluttered the diagram turns. This helps to identify any redundant trips and triggers that will serve better for the work floor ensure a better definition of the process itself.
Benefits of Agile Spaghetti diagram:
- Identifies inefficiencies in the work floor layout
- Identifies areas where the number of hands that touch a work item can be reduced
- Identifies opportunities for better communication in the work force
- Identifies opportunities for resource allocation
- Identifies opportunities for safety improvements
This is how agile flowcharts play an effective role in agile software development. To know more about flowcharts and agile project management tools, you can join Simplilearn’s PMI-ACP Online training. You can also attend our agile certification classroom training in your city. Know the upcoming dates of PMI-ACP certification training courses for your city.
Learn about Agile Flowcharts, Agile Spaghetti Diagram and its uses and improve your PMI-ACP exam prep towards attaining an Agile Certification Training.
Chandana is working as a Senior Content Writer in Simplilearn.com and handles variety of creative writing jobs. She has done M.A. in English Literature from Gauhati University. A PRINCE2 Foundation certified, she has a unique and refreshing style of writing which can engross the readers to devour each sentence of her write-ups.