DevOps is a methodology that has evolved from the experience and best practices of managing the development, testing, and support processes in a software development project life cycle. These practices help organizations manage the development, tools deployment, integrated testing, and assistance with increased productivity and speed. At the same time, they bring the critical elements of continuous integration and continuous deployment to the DevOps engineer’s sole responsibility.
Typically, the development, testing, and support departments were used to working in silos, creating process gaps and conflict in duties as different people managed these functions. Such barriers were the significant causes of misunderstandings, miscommunications, and conflict in prioritization and were proven detrimental to productivity, resulting in customer dissatisfaction. DevOps’ evolution as an approach and a DevOps engineer job profile has tried to close these gaps to a great extent.
Additionally, it brings various technical benefits such as continuous delivery, early detection and correction of problems, and easy management of the project. Business benefits are also super important, such as faster delivery, KPI management, and improved collaboration within the teams. These aspects are crucial for the customer experience.
DevOps Engineer Job Description
When we begin discussing the DevOps engineer job description, we may begin by saying that the role of a DevOps engineer is critical to the project’s overall success, right from planning to support primary KPI as customer satisfaction and productivity. A DevOps Engineer has an essential role in integrating the project functions and resources across the product life cycle, right from planning, building, testing, and deployment to support.
DevOps Engineers are conversant with all the technical as well as IT operations aspects for integrated operations. They are expected to know about the various automation tools which may be required for process automation and testing.
Suppose you find this DevOps Engineer job description exciting and would like to make a transition to become a DevOps engineer, you must understand how to become DevOps engineer with a systematic approach to understand the job function in detail, and to identify the required skills and gaps for further improvement. A DevOps career guide is a good start in that direction. This guide provides comprehensive information about the roadmap to career development as a DevOps engineer, the technology involved, and the skills required for performing a DevOps engineer’s responsibility.
Next, let us look at the roles and responsibilities as a part of the DevOps engineer job description.
DevOps Engineer Job Description: Roles and Responsibilities
A DevOps engineer’s roles and responsibilities are a combination of technical and management roles. It is essential to have excellent communication and coordination skills to successfully integrate various functions in a coordinated manner and deliver the responsibilities to the customer’s satisfaction.
The DevOps engineer’s responsibilities are multi-prong - they need to be agile enough to wear a technical hat and manage operations simultaneously.
Some of the core responsibilities of DevOps Engineer include –
- Understanding customer requirements and project KPIs
- Implementing various development, testing, automation tools, and IT infrastructure
- Planning the team structure, activities, and involvement in project management activities.
- Managing stakeholders and external interfaces
- Setting up tools and required infrastructure
- Defining and setting development, test, release, update, and support processes for DevOps operation
- Have the technical skill to review, verify, and validate the software code developed in the project.
- Troubleshooting techniques and fixing the code bugs
- Monitoring the processes during the entire lifecycle for its adherence and updating or creating new processes for improvement and minimizing the wastage
- Encouraging and building automated processes wherever possible
- Identifying and deploying cybersecurity measures by continuously performing vulnerability assessment and risk management
- Incidence management and root cause analysis
- Coordination and communication within the team and with customers
- Selecting and deploying appropriate CI/CD tools
- Strive for continuous improvement and build continuous integration, continuous development, and constant deployment pipeline (CI/CD Pipeline)
- Mentoring and guiding the team members
- Monitoring and measuring customer experience and KPIs
- Managing periodic reporting on the progress to the management and the customer
The video below will help you understand the basics of DevOps, who is a DevOps engineer and career roadmap for a DevOps engineer.
Next, let us look into the skills that are a part of the DevOps engineer job description.
Essential Skills for a DevOps Engineer
A DevOps Engineer’s role requires technical skills in the development cycle and operations skills for maintenance and support. Computer Science or Computer Technology graduates can bring some of the technical skills necessary to become a DevOps engineer. However, the skills required for managing the operations usually come through the experience or by enrolling in specific development programs, which can help further the career in the set direction.
Pre-requisite skills required for a DevOps Engineer role include:
- Experience working on Linux based infrastructure
- Excellent understanding of Ruby, Python, Perl, and Java
- Configuration and managing databases such as MySQL, Mongo
- Excellent troubleshooting
- Working knowledge of various tools, open-source technologies, and cloud services
- Awareness of critical concepts in DevOps and Agile principles
Interested to begin a career in DevOps? Enroll now for the DevOps Certification Course. Click to check out the course curriculum.
DevOps Training and Skill Development
At Simplilearn, we have developed comprehensive DevOps skill development programs to upskill future engineers.
Simplilearn’s DevOps Engineer Master Certification prepares the development engineer to take a leap by acquiring the knowledge and skills in DevOps principles like continuous integration and continuous deployment pipeline, process automation, configuration management, collaboration, and team management, service and support agility and make you competent in operations management. The training and knowledge of DevOps specific tools such as Git, Docker, and Jenkins is a big advantage to bridge the gaps, and get a step closer to becoming a DevOps Engineer.
The Post Graduate Program in DevOps is a unique program designed by Simplilearn in collaboration with Caltech CTME consisting of extensive collaboration and online interactive sessions and hands-on experience to deliver projects in continuous integration and deployment using management tools such as Puppet, Saltstack, and Ansible. This program is most suitable for learners aspiring for the role and responsibilities of senior DevOps engineers and above.
For job seekers, Simplilearn has a JobAssist Program (India only). The extended support to the learners is given to build their resumes, career guidance and mentoring, organizing career fairs, preparing them for the DevOps interviews Questions, and providing membership on prominent job portals too. What are you waiting for? Give your career the edge it deserves, start preparing now and get a step closer to your dream DevOps engineer job role.