Below we’ll provide all the details about the exam process for the three certifications, but first, let’s go over some basics about Salesforce developers.
Who is a Salesforce Developer?You probably already know that Salesforce is one of the top cloud-based customer relationship management (CRM) platforms in the world, related to sales, marketing, and service. What you might not know is that there are two main types of Salesforce professionals: administrator and developer. The developers write code for the client or customize the existing code. They typically work for a Salesforce partner, generally a big software company, or an end client such as a bank.
Go through this Simplilearn video on “Why Salesforce is Good For Your Career” delivered by our Salesforce experts that covers all the Salesforce basics.
Roles of a Salesforce Developer
As Salesforce developers write or customize programs for a client, they need to be able to test and implement those applications as well. But a lot more is involved. The roles and responsibilities of Salesforce developers may also include:
- Understanding and analyzing business processes, such as sales and account management
- Developing CRM workflows
- Maintaining user roles and security
- Producing design documents and technical plans
- Conducting informational workshops for other teams
- Collaborating with other engineers and developers
Why Become a Salesforce Developer?
The obvious benefit of becoming a Salesforce developer is salary. According to Indeed, the average salary for a Salesforce developer in the United States is more than $110,000. There are plenty of job opportunities around the world too, as companies big and small are adopting Salesforce. Plus, there’s job satisfaction and continual growth—it’s hard to be bored when technologies are continually evolving, and applications frequently need to be updated.
How to Become a Certified Salesforce Developer
Think becoming a Salesforce developer is for you? As mentioned above, there are three possible certifications you can obtain:
- Salesforce Platform App Builder: To learn how to use the APIs and the pre-built functions on Force.com to build custom applications.
- Salesforce Platform Developer I: To learn how to build custom applications for the Salesforce platform using the Apex programming language and Visualforce user interface (UI) framework.
- Salesforce Platform Developer II: To learn how to leverage the advanced programmatic capabilities of the Salesforce platform and data modeling to include more complex business logic and UIs in applications
To receive each certification, developers must prepare for the exam ahead of time—ideally through an accredited training organization (ATO)—and schedule it at a test center or online. Simplilearn’s Salesforce App Builder certification course and Platform Developer I (Apex and Visualforce) courses will teach you everything you need to know to pass the exams. Specifically:
- In the App Builder certification course, you will get 10 hours of eLearning content, including projects, case studies, quizzes, and simulation tests. You will learn to use the declarative “clicks not code” capabilities of the Salesforce.com platform
- In the Platform Developer I (Apex and Visualforce) certification course, you will get 42-plus hours of instructor-led live training, as well as hands-on practice, projects, quizzes, simulation tests, and more. You will learn to develop custom applications on the Salesforce platform utilizing the Apex programming language and Visualforce user interface framework. You’ll learn to write customizations for both business logic and interface layers, develop a testing and debugging framework and extend an application’s capabilities using AppExchange.
Salesforce Developer Certification—Eligibility and Certification Exam Process
Salesforce.com is the main accreditation body that dictates the structure of all three Salesforce developer certifications. The company also allows ATOs to oversee the training of eligible candidates, who then must take the exam from Salesforce.com. The examination structure, sample questions requirements to qualify are available on the website.
There are no prerequisites for either the Salesforce Platform App Builder exam or the Platform Developer I exam. However, preparing through an ATO like Simplilearn is highly recommended. You must have the Developer I credential to qualify for the Platform Developer II exam.
Accredited Training Organizations
Salesforce.com allows ATOs to run training courses for the exams. Simplilearn is one of the best training providers, having trained over 200,000 professionals all over the world. Learners also get access to a 24-hour lab to practice and real-life case studies. The pass rate has been high over the years.
The Platform App Builder exam costs $200, is proctored and may be taken online or at a test center. There are 60 multiple-choice questions, and test-takers have 105 minutes to complete the exam. The minimum score to pass is 63%.
For the Developer I exam, the cost is also $200, and there are 60 multiple choice questions, but test takers have 110 minutes. The minimum passing score is 65%.
The Developer II exam is also $200, and there are 60 multiple-choice questions. Candidates get 120 minutes to complete the exam, and the minimum passing score is 63%.
Retaking the Exam
The Salesforce Developer certification exams are intensive and all-inclusive, and adequate preparation is required. However, even after studying, it’s not uncommon that some candidates don’t pass the first time. Luckily, retakes are allowed. Candidates who wish to retake the test must resubmit their registration details together with a retake fee of $100.
Gain hands-on expertise in managing and developing apps for one of the most popular CRM products with the Salesforce Admin & App Builder Course.