Australia is a highly developed country known for its high GDP per capita and relatively low rate of poverty. It offers a high quality of life, excellent education, extensive political rights, and more. As of this point in 2019, the Australians economy is doing well. The country offers great employment opportunities and has attracted many immigrants. That's great news for professionals, specifically those in certain IT segments.
Before getting started with the article “Highest Paying Jobs in Australia” let us understand the job trend happening in Australia.
Australia – A Quick Summary
In 2018 the economy grew by a healthy 3% GDP and is expected to grow by 2.7 percent between 2019 - 2023, with a modest slow-down anticipated in 2020.
There are several reasons for Australia's healthy economic condition, among them its growing status as a significant commercial force in the Asia-Pacific region, and its links to China and other growing regional economies.
This all bodes well for employment prospects in IT as well as other industries – if you have the right skills and certifications.
Moving forward, let us see Highest Paying Jobs in Australia density
Top 10 “In-Demand” Jobs in Australia
Here are some of the top available jobs in Australia, both in terms of demand and reward:
IT Systems ArchitectAverage salaries here are around A$ 140,000(approximately US$ 99,000). Senior positions may carry a much higher remuneration. Currently, various recruiting sites are showing 800-1,200 vacancies nationwide.
IT ManagerThese roles are less to do with “administrative management” and more to do with your ability to be an agent of change through the effective deployment of technology. When consulting on leveraging business benefits out of IT, senior roles here can earn an average of A$ 125,000 (approximately US$ 89,000). Vacancy statistics are showing around 8,000 such positions available.
IT Security ArchitectOur society is increasingly aware of the need for a higher emphasis on all-round IT security. As such, the demand for experienced IT Security Architects has never been greater. Currently, experienced professionals in this discipline are earning salaries of A$ 124,000 (approximately US$ 88,000) on average. There are approximately 166 vacancies in this domain.
Cloud EngineersAnother area where demand and salaries are high, experienced Cloud Engineers can expect to earn average salaries in the region of A$ 112,000 (approximately US$ 79,000). Vacancies in this area are also high – numbering approximately 700 across Australia.
Data ScientistData scientists are essential to many systems development and exploitation activities. Positions in this skills domain carry an average salary of around A$ 100,000 (approximately US$ 70,000). There are plenty of positions around too – approximately 254 of them across the country.
Python DevelopersOne of the most popular development languages around, Python is now a significant force in the IT industry. Salaries for experienced Python developers average around A$ 100,000(approximately US$ 70,000). There are currently around 2,600 vacancies for such developers across the country.
IT ConsultantsExperienced IT consultants are always in demand – whether freelance or salaried. An experienced consultant might be able to earn an average of around A$ 80,000(approximately US$ 57,000). There are in excess of 11,000 vacancies of this type available in Australia.
Project ManagersThe business world is always on the lookout for more people with skills in recognized PM methodologies. Salaries are around an average of A$ 80,000 (approximately US$ 57,000 and higher for more senior positions). Right now, there are in the region of 634 such positions available in various locations.
Telecoms TechnicianAnother skill set in high demand, Telecoms engineers can expect average salary levels of around A$80,000 (approximately US$ 57,000). At the moment, there are at least 1,416 such vacancies open.
DevOps EngineerPeople with this broad-based skill set can expect average salaries in the region of A$70,000 (approximately US$ 50,000). There are at least 2,400 such positions currently being advertised.
Points to Note
It's worth keeping in mind:
- To secure these types of positions, and others like them, you'll need experience and the right form of industry-recognized certifications.
- If you're not an Australian or New Zealand citizen, appropriate work permits will be required.
That was all about the Highest Paying Jobs in Australia. Next, let us have a look at the skills.
How to Get the Relevant Skills
As with employers everywhere, Australian businesses will look for applicants seeking premium roles to bring three essential components to the table:
- Evidence that they have a track record of “coal face” experience in the discipline concerned. This is sometimes referred to as the “been there, seen it, done it” qualification.
- A personality type that indicates the applicant will be likely to fit into the culture of the working environment in question.
- Recognized, relevant, and accepted certifications. These can sometimes offset a lack of in-depth practical working experience in the subject concerned.
For experienced and more senior positions, relevant academic qualifications from schools/colleges/universities may be sought after in addition to the above three requirements.
To position yourself with the appropriate certifications, you may wish to consider the following courses:
- IT Systems Architect – Big Data Architect. This is a Master's certification covering over 100 tools and techniques
- IT Manager – IT Service Expert Master's Program. Covering all aspects of the IT services lifecycle
- IT Security Architect - Cyber Security Expert Master's Program. This delivers 96 hours of live online training and an invaluable advanced certification in this important discipline
- Cloud Engineers – Cloud Architect (AWS and Azure). This covers over 40 skills and 25 services
- Data Scientist – Data Scientist Master's Program. This provides 150 instructor-led online classes over a year and covers 30+ skill sets
- Python Developers – Python Training Course. This is three separate courses delivering instruction in the development language that has now surpassed Java in popularity
- IT Consultants – ITIL Lifecycle Expert Program. This delivers online instruction to help you master all five phases of the IT as a service lifecycle program
- Project Managers – PMP Plus Master's Program. Here you can choose from six different skill sets including MS Project, Lean Six Sigma and Agile Scrum Master, etc.
- Telecoms Technician – CCNA Routing and Switching Certification Training. Here you'll learn how to install and configure/manage networking switching solutions
- DevOps Engineer - DevOps Engineer Masters Program. This covers 40 skills and 15 tools, leaving you well prepared for progression in this career field.
With that we have come to the conclusion of the “Highest Paying Jobs in Australia” article.
If you're interested in pursuing a career in any of the above in-demand job areas within IT Australia, it would be worth finding out more about Simplilearn's certifications. They could be your springboard to a top position and a total change of scenery!
If you liked our article “Highest Paying Jobs in Australia”, leave a comment below or you can also ask doubts and our experts will get back to you.