A system should be optimal in terms of reliability, speed, scalability, robustness, stability, and performance. An application may be delivering the desired results with 100 active users, but will it be equally efficient with 10,000 users? How do you figure this out? Performance testing is the answer. Read on to learn about performance testing and the various performance testing tools.
What is Performance Testing?
Fortunately, there is a way to measure the exact response and behavior of information systems. It is here when performance testing comes into the picture. Performance testing is a process of testing the application before making it available for the public. The performance testing tools used in this method find the bugs and faults in the application (if there are any).
Why is Performance Testing Needed?
Through this testing process, you can be assured that an application is capable enough of withstanding the load of requests, data volumes, and concurrent users.
Now before we go through the various performance testing tools, let us first look into the types of performance testing.
What are the Types of Performance Testing?
There are different types of performance testing, each with different uses and purposes. In this article, we have elaborated on the best-rated load testing tools to help you find the right pick for testing the capability of your unique application(s). So, let’s get started.
What are the Top 10 Performance Testing Tools?
A cloud-based advanced load testing tool, LoadView offers the benefit of testing a variety of web applications, websites, etc. This fantastic tool is the choice of several Fortune 100 companies because of its robust performance.
- Easy to set up and use.
- Allows users to opt between browser or HTTPS based testing. Offers the ease of point and click for recording complex scenarios and custom scripting.
- It comes with a load injector control option that allows testers to adjust the number of users for each server.
2. Apache JMeter
Next, in the performance testing tools list is pure Open Source, Java-based application ideal for performing tests on both dynamic and static resources. Additionally, the tool is designed to simulate heavy loads on a single server(s), objects, or networks. To understand the interoperability of the applications in a better way, you should go for a Java Certification Training Course. The program will increase your expertise in analyzing the performance and testing the strength of an application helping you to create an industry-standard product.
- Best for performance and load testing.
- Used for testing databases, REST and SOAP web services, web apps, FTP, etc.
- Comes with an intuitive and simple GUI.
AgileLoad is a scalable and robust solution perfect for the performance optimization of web applications. Created specifically for large organizations, AgileLoad elevates the productivity and ROI of the information system.
Using this tool will bring you the benefits of faster testing and in-depth performance issues analysis. Plus, to ensure optimal performing applications, you must have the proficiency in the field. Programs like a Angular Certification Training Course can help you attain the needed efficiency in the subject.
- Automatically detects problems in the application.
- Allows customization of reporting engine and scripting.
- Supports testing of multiple protocols and applications.
- Repeatable and measurable load/performance generation.
- Records the test results automatically.
4. The Grinder
It is one of the most popular Java-based, free performance testing tools that require a BSD-style open-source license for use. The brainchild of Paco Gomez, this tool facilitates the users with distributed testing and flexible parameterization. The Grinder can create testing data in no time by using databases, files, and other sources of external data. But most importantly, developers should have a Selenium Certification Training so that they can handle such performance testing solutions expertly.
- Test script/modification leveraging the power of Java API and Closure/Python combined.
- TCP proxy for network activity recording.
- Offers complete access to end-results for verification/correlation.
Counted among the best performance testing tools, AppDynamics helps users to analyze and optimize complex applications. It is suitable for the systems created using GoLang, .Net, PHP, C++, Java, node js, Apache Web Server, or Python. The tool can measure an application’s performance in real-time. With its help, developers can compare user experiences and system performance with their business’s performance to improve it further.
- Data retention
- Powerful alerting and baselining
- Highlights performance-related issues during the production process
- Easy to install and use
- Database agents
- Synthetic monitoring
- Server visibility
Stephane Landelle developed this open-source, cost-free performance testing solution to benefit the testers with a self-explanatory tool that can develop tests in easy to write and read DSL (domain-specific language). It comes with a powerful Graphical User Interface and HTTP Recorder. At the same time, it is to be noted that courses like Node.js Certification Training can help you use Gatling and other similar performance testing tools optimally.
- Uses non-blocking asynchronous approach for high load production
- HTTP(S) standardized
- Ideal for JMS and JDBC load testing
- Generates data-driven tests by using different input sources
- Powerful assertions system
- Offers in-depth analysis of load reports
All those who wonder why we need performance testing should try NeoLoad for once to experience the various benefits offered by such platforms. This automated, enterprise-level solution is designed for APIs and application performance testing. The tool will benefit the developers and testers with Automated API testing, user behaviour simulation, and real-time analysis of the issue.
- It designs, runs, and maintains performance tests.
- Uses plugins for CD and CI tools for real-time analysis of test results.
- Creates quick test scripts for complex systems with the help of a power-packed graphical user interface.
- Has dynamic and dedicated testing Infrastructure.
This Open Source, performance testing solution, enables the developers to define the behaviour of the users. It uses Python for running application performance under concurrent users up to millions. The tool is highly scalable and implements code-based scripts that can be used with SVN, Git, and other similar version controls.
If you need some hands-on experience of handling Locust and similar tools, you may sign up for a Python Training Course.
- It can run tests on any operating system.
- Has advanced power assertion mechanisms.
- Allows web-based performance monitoring.
- Capable of testing all kinds of applications and APIs.
BlazeMeter is a continuous testing tool that comes with a web-based, powerful interface for performance and load testing. It is capable of running JMeter scripts, which makes it a perfect solution for sophisticated load tests. This platform also offers multi-tool support and monitors mobile and desktop user experience.
Blaze Meter undoubtedly eases the task of developers to a great extent. But it is not easy to handle the complexities of the application testing process. Fortunately, there are training courses like that of a Full Stack Java Developer that can prepare them for handling various challenging issues.
- Ideal for testing up to 1 million simultaneous users
- Easy to set up and use
- Facilitates both on-premise and cloud testing options
- Offers the advantage of report and script sharing with the team
- APM and CI tools integrations
10. Load UI Pro
LoadUI Pro is designed for sophisticated, scriptless load tests that can be distributed on the cloud with the help of load agents. This solution is efficient in monitoring server performance and offers access to detailed performance reports. It is recommended to take certification courses such as a Full Stack Web Developer - MEAN Stack training program to increase your efficiency as a developer.
- Preconfigured performance test templates
- Drag and drop testing on cloud
- Creates Sophisticated analytical test reports
So, this was all about the smart load and performance testing platforms. The best way to find a relevant performance testing tool for your project is to opt for the trial versions. Go ahead with its premium version if it fits your unique requirements. Certification course in performance testing will also prove out to be of great help to the developers/testers. If interested, you may enroll for the Automation Test Engineer training program.