The PMP®, or Project Management Professional, is an exam conducted by the Project Management Institute (PMI)®, is a globally recognized certification. The exam consists of 200 multiple choice questions that outline the five process groups (Initiation, Planning, Executing, Monitoring and Controlling, and Closing) and nine knowledge areas (Integration, Scope, Time, Cost, Quality, Human Resource, Communication, Risk, and Procurement).
Of the 200 questions, 25 of them are pretest questions. Pretest questions appear randomly during the exam, do not affect the candidate’s score, and are used in examinations as an effective way to increase the number of examination questions that can be used in future PMP exams. The passing score for the exam is almost 61% (106 questions correct out of 175 scored questions).
2. Assuming that the ends of a range of estimates are +/- 3 sigma from the mean, which of the following range estimates involves the LEAST risk?
30 days, plus or minus 5 days
22 – 30 days
Optimistic = 26 days, most likely = 30 days, pessimistic = 33 days
Mean of 28 days
The estimate with the smallest range is less risky.
3. If a risk has a 20 percent chance of happening in a given month, and the project is expected to last five months, what is the probability that the risk event will occur during the fourth month of the project?
Less than 1 percent
4. An accepted deadline for project approaches. However, the project manager realizes only 75% percent of the work has been completed. The project manager then issues a change request. What should the change request authorize?
Additional resources using the contingency fund
Escalation approval to use contingency funding
Team overtime to meet schedule
Corrective action based on causes
5. The risk will be identified during which risk management process(es)?
Perform Quantitative Risk Analysis and Identify Risks
Identify Risks and Monitor and Control Risks
Perform Qualitative Risk Analysis and Monitor and Control Risks
11.Your construction project was damaged by an earthquake. Your contractor says that he cannot fulfill the terms of the contract due to a specific clause you both had signed the contract. He is referring to the:
Force majeure clause
Fixed price clause
Contract obligation terms
None of the above
12. All of the following are ALWAYS inputs to the risk management process EXCEPT:
Work breakdown structure
Project status reports
Project Status report can be an input to risk management. However, when completing risk management for the first time, you wouldn’t have the project status report yet. Therefore, the project status report is not always an input to risk management.
13. When estimating time for activities, a Project Manager should:
Use the best guess and estimate all activities since there will be changes as the project progresses and more information becomes available
Involve people who will be doing the work to get estimates
Estimate for what the cost will allow and include buffers
None of the above
14. Risk tolerance is determined in order to help:
The team ranks the project risks.
The project manager estimates the project.
The team schedules the project.
Management knows how other managers will act on the project.
If you know the tolerance of the stakeholders, you can predict how they might react to different situations and risk events. This information can help assign levels of risk on each work package activity.
15. You are running a project to engineer and implement a set of business processes and a software solution for customer relationship management. The project involves a large number of organizations―a major corporation and many suppliers of different sizes. During the project, you observe the effects of the differences between the companies’ corporate cultures. This leads to different expectations on how the project should be handled—as well as to frequent misunderstandings between stakeholders. Another effect is a growing degree of distrust and skepticism. What should you try first to integrate the diverse stakeholder groups?
Focus on project work. As a project manager, you should not get distracted by big egos.
Let the problems grow further until they are obvious for all. Then escalate them.
Develop a joint quality policy for the project and seek a commitment by all organizations.
Analyze the probability and impact of the risks linked with the situation and plan how to respond to them.
16. You are finding it difficult to evaluate the exact cost impact of risk. You should evaluate on a(n) :
If you cannot determine an exact cost impact to the event, use qualitative estimates such as Low, Medium, and High.
17. A project manager is quantifying risk for her project. Several of her experts are offsite but wish to be included. How can this be done?
Do a Monte Carlo analysis using the Internet as a tool
Apply the critical path method
Determine options for recommended corrective action
Apply the Delphi Technique
The Delphi technique is commonly used to obtain expert opinions on technical issues, the necessary project, or product scope.
18. Being assigned as a project manager, you noticed during project execution that conflicts arise in the team on both technical and interpersonal levels. What is an appropriate way of handling conflicts?
Conflicts distract the team and disrupt the work rhythm. You should always smooth them when they surface.
A conflict should be handled in a meeting so that the entire team can participate in finding a solution.
Conflicts should be addressed early and usually in private, using a direct, collaborative approach.
You should use your coercive power to quickly resolve conflicts and then focus on goal achievement.
19. During which risk management process is a determination to transfer a risk made?
Perform Quantitative Risk Analysis
Plan Risk Response
Monitor and Control Risks
Transference is a Risk Response Strategy.
20. When control charts are used, outliers are…
Singular measurements outside the bandwidth between an upper and lower control limit.
A typical result of a rare random cause which is difficult to replicate and to verify.
Insignificant results, often measurement errors, the causes of which should not be further investigated.
Measurements are inconsistent with a run of 7 results over or under a mean value.
If you are considering working toward your PMP exam, Simplilearn offers a variety of project management courses that will help you pass, including the PMP Certification training course. Our PMP training courses are conducted by certified, highly experienced professionals with at least 10 years of experience.
PMI, PMP, and PMBOK have registered marks of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
Interested in learning more? View Simplilearn's video on “Introduction to PMP Certification Training” to understand the requirements and guidelines for the PMP examination.
Learn for free! Subscribe to our YouTube Channel & Be a Part of 400k+ Happy Learners Community.
Find our PMP Certification Online Classroom training classes in top cities:
Simplilearn is one of the world’s leading providers of online training for Digital Marketing, Cloud Computing, Project Management, Data Science, IT, Software Development, and many other emerging technologies.