The PRINCE2® certificate is the industry standard for project management in the United Kingdom and around the world. As companies begin to adopt their methods, they see their value and potential for operational growth.
The acronym stands for “PRojects IN Controlled Environments” and this method highlights the importance of defined processes and offers industry guidelines for project management.
The primary basis for the certificate is to train managers on dividing projects into manageable and controlled stages. Originally designed for the UK government, this method became a successful approach to operational leadership.
Quick Overview: 7 Principles
PRINCE2® is organized by these principles for effective project management:
- Continued Business Justification: Through a document, managers measure each stage of the project to confirm it is still viable.
- Learn from Experience: PRINCE2® values lessons learned through experience; this is done through logs that record notable experiences.
- Defined Roles and Responsibilities: Responsibilities are clearly defined to each team member for optimal success, accountability, and communication.
- Manage by Stages: By organizing the project through stages, teams can effectively measure results and plan for successful outcomes.
- Manage by Exception: PRINCE2® has designed tolerances that measure delegated authority and outcomes within the process, creating contingencies and action plans depending on results.
- Focus on Products: Teams focus on the quality and outcome of the product.
- Tailor to Suit Project Environment: PRINCE2® certified teams create project environments highlighting the necessary risk, time capability, size, complexity, and crucial components for the product.
An increasing number of private sector firms are recognizing PRINCE2® as a useful project management standard, which has led to a spur in the number of aspirants taking up the examination.
Become a certified PRINCE2® Practitioner by enrolling in our PRINCE2®® Foundation and Practitioner course.
PRINCE2® is organized by two levels: Foundation and Practitioner. (Note: Professional was discontinued after 2017).
The PRINCE2® Foundation teaches everything you need to know to build a solid understanding of project management principles, terminologies, processes, and methods unique to the certification.
As the first certification, you can get, it is the best way to get equipped and become a vital asset to the project management field.
Since this is the first step for anyone interested in getting certified for PRINCE2®, there are no qualifications to take the exam.
What to Expect from the Foundation Exam
- Exam Cost: $388
- Format: Multiple Choice
- Questions: 60 per Paper
- Test Environment: Closed Book
- Time: 1 hour
- Passing score: 55 percent
This PRINCE2® certificate is the next advancement for operations professionals. The qualification seeks to confirm that you can apply the methods within a diverse set of environments.
PRINCE2® Foundation Certificate (alternative prerequisites can be used).
What to Expect from the Practitioner Exam
- Exam Cost: $451
- Format: Multiple Choice
- Questions: 68 per Paper
- Test Environment: Open Book (Only with Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2®)
- Time: 2.5 Hours
- Passing score: 55 percent
Your certificate is active for three years and must be renewed thereafter. This can be done by retaking the exam or maintaining a subscription with My PRINCE2®.
My PRINCE2® requires the following for certificate renewal:
- Subscribe to My PRINCE2® within three months of passing the exam and paying the subscription throughout the three years ($65/year)
- Maintain your PRINCE2® digital badge and record 20 CPD points per year in the expected categories
Preparing and Appearing for the Examination
Most institutions that provide PRINCE2® training will include the examination as part of the course. They will help prepare the documentation and steps needed for you to begin.
Online options are now available at very affordable rates. Exams are done with a proctor that monitors individuals during the exam, which means that test-takers need necessary tools like a webcam, microphone, and high-speed internet. It is important to review all technology requirements beforehand.
Many candidates will self-study for the certification, but this can make passing the exam more difficult. Through an institution, however, students get professional assistance and can interact with others on the same path. When choosing an institution, make sure it is an accredited training organization (ATO).
What to Know for Exam Day
Professionals should get plenty of rest the night before. This means reviewing information but being careful not to overload or overwhelm yourself, which can cause sleeping issues. Enjoy a healthy breakfast the following morning.
When students arrive at the exam center, they will be handed a form. This usually includes your name, address, and other personal details. Be precise as this is what will appear on the official PRINCE2® certificate. The address stated will be the delivery address of the certificate once it’s earned.
Arrive 30 minutes before the start time with an official photo ID. Calculations on the exam are limited, therefore no calculators should be needed.
Unlike the Foundation exam, the Practitioner exam is open book. Bring the official, approved manual to use during the exam. No notes are allowed.
Test your knowledge on the concepts covered in the certification exam with this PRINCE2® Practitioner Practice Test.
Start Preparing for PRINCE2®
The PRINCE2® certificate continues to be a necessary step to grow your career and become a leading player in project management. With its methodical and proven solutions to processes, PRINCE2® positions companies for success. Any professional can benefit from the lessons learned and implement them in their operations.
As industries increasingly expect PRINCE2® principles to lead their project management initiatives, there is no better time than today to get certified. It is affordable, accessible, and its benefits will continue to grow years after certification.
This guide is the perfect tool to use as you begin preparing for your PRINCE2® certification. Consider joining a course today and begin preparing for the exam that will strengthen your career and those around you.
ITIL® is a registered trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved. The Swirl logo™ is a trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.