The more experienced we are, the more we grow to understand that the questions we ask or the answers we give in an interview say a lot about our enthusiasm and level of interest for a product, company, or organization. This is definitely the case with Salesforce, the mightiest Customer Relationship Management (CRM) service in the world. And if you wish to crack your next interview, these salesforce interview questions should help you out to prepare beforehand and crack the interview seamlessly!
Are you preparing for Salesforce Admin Certification? Here're 60 Salesforce Admin certification exam questions. Take this free practice test to know where you stand.
Salesforce Interview Questions and Answers
1. What is Salesforce?
This is one of the most basic salesforce interview questions, where the interviewer is simply checking if you can club your knowledge into a quick answer or not! Here’s a short and straightforward answer to this salesforce interview question - Salesforce is the most effective Customer Relationship Management (CRM) product that is delivered to subscribers as a cost-effective software-as-a-service (SaaS).
2. What is a custom object in Salesforce?
In Salesforce, custom objects refer specifically to database tables that store data related to your company in Salesforce.com.
3. What does a custom object permit the user to do?
Once the custom object is defined, the subscriber can perform the following tasks:
- Create custom fields
- Relate the custom object to other records
- Track events and tasks
- Build page layouts
- Create a custom tab for the custom object
- Analyze custom object data
- Create dashboards and reports
- Share custom tabs, custom apps, custom objects, and various other related components.
None of these tasks can be accomplished until the custom object has a definition.
4. What is Self-Relationship?
A Self-Relationship is a lookup relationship to the same object. It is this premise that allows users to take the object “Merchandise” and create relationships with other objects.
5. What is Object Relationship Overview?
In Salesforce, the object relationship overview links custom object records to standard object records in a related list. This is helpful to track product defects in related customer cases. Salesforce allows users to define different types of relationships by creating custom relationship fields on an object.
6. What can cause data loss in Salesforce?
Data loss in Salesforce can be caused by a number of reasons, including:
- Changing data and date-time.
- Migrating to percent, number, and currency from other data types.
- Changing from the multi-select picklist, checkbox, auto number to other types.
- Altering to multi-select picklist from any type except picklist.
- Changing to auto-number except for text.
- Changing from text-area to e-mail, phone, URL, and text.
7. How is SaaS beneficial to Salesforce?
SaaS is subscription-based, so clients can choose not to renew and discontinue using the program at any time without penalty other than not being able to use Salesforce. SaaS is intended to help users avoid heavy initial startup fees and investments. SaaS applications use a simple Internet interface supported by easy integration.
8. How does Salesforce track sales?
Salesforce is a tracking program that records a number of helpful basic details, such as:
- Number of customers served daily
- Daily sales volume
- Detailed reports from Sales Manager
- Sales figures by month or quarter
- Most importantly, Salesforce tracks and reports repeat customer activity, which is the key to any sales organization.
9. How many types of relationships are offered by Salesforce.com?
Salesforce recognizes two relationship types: Master-detail relationships and Lookup relationships.
10. What is the trigger?
The trigger is the code that is executed before or after the record is updated or inserted.
11. What is the difference between Trigger and Workflow?
This is one of the most frequently asked Salesforce interview question. Workflow is an automated process that fires an action based on evaluation criteria and rule criteria. As described above, Trigger is the code that is executed on or after the record is updated or inserted.
12. What is a static resource in Salesforce?
13. What is the difference between Force.com and Salesforce.com?
14. Is there a limit for data.com records?
Salesforce users can see their limit form setup easily by simply clicking data.com administration/Users. From the data.com users section, the users can see their monthly limit and exactly how many records are exported during the month.
15. What are the three types of object relations in Salesforce?
The three types of object relations in Salesforce are:
The relation types are quite logical once the user becomes familiar with the software program.
16. What are the different types of reports available in Salesforce?
The different types of reports in Salesforce are:
- Tabular report that displays the grand total in table form
- Matrix report where grouping is based upon both rows and columns
- Summary reports are detailed reports in which the grouping is based on columns.
- Joined report which allows two or more reports to be joined in a single report
17. Is it possible to schedule a dynamic dashboard in Salesforce?
In Salesforce, it is not possible to schedule a dynamic dashboard.
18. What is the junction object and what purpose does it serve?
Junction objects are used to build many-to-many relationships between objects. For example, the user can take a recruiting application where a position for a job can be linked to many candidates or can link a candidate to many other jobs. In order to connect the data model, a third party object is referred to as a junction object. In the given example, the junction object is “job application.”
19. What is an Audit Trail?
The Audit Trail function in Salesforce is useful for gaining information or for tracking all the recent setup changes that the administration has done in the organization. The audit trail can preserve data for up to six months.
20. Explain the Salesforce dashboard?
In Salesforce, the dashboard is a pictorial representation of the report. 20 reports can be added to a single dashboard.
Gain hands-on expertise in managing and developing apps for one of the most popular CRM products with the Salesforce Admin & App Builder Course.
21. What is the difference between SOQL and SOSL?
SOQL is Salesforce Object Query Language and SOSL is Salesforce Object Search Language. If you are sensing that Salesforce is a culture unto itself, you are correct!
22. What is a Wrapper Class?
A Wrapper Class is a class whose instances are a collection of other objects and is used to display different objects on a Visualforce page in the same table.
23. What is the sharing rule?
The sharing rules are applied when a user wishes to allow access to other users.
24. What are some benefits of using Salesforce?
Salesforce comes with a number of benefits. The most major ones are:
- Helps to understand the needs of the customer
- Provides a single communication platform for all the team members of a project
- Reporting is quick and seamless
- Has a very high degree of adaptability
- Very easy to manage
- Can integrate with countless apps (eg: Dataloader, Mailchimp, Ebsta)
25. What is an object in Salesforce?
An object is a database table that contains data specific to an organization (columns are fields and rows are records). There are two types of objects in Salesforce - custom object and standard object.
- Standard object - A standard object is created by default in Salesforce. Eg: Contact, Account, and Lead.
- Custom object - A custom object is created by the user and can contain any information that the user wants. Eg: You can create a custom “Location” object to store information about the location of various branches of a company.
26. What is the difference between static and dynamic dashboards?
Static dashboards are the default dashboards which are visible to any user. You can use it to show organizational-wide data to a set of users.
Dynamic dashboards display data tailored for a specific user. You can use it to show one user’s specific data, such as the number of sales closed, leads converted, etc.
27. What do you mean by governor limits?
Governor limits control how much data can be stored on a shared database. They help to ensure that no one monopolizes the shared resources (Storage, CPU, Memory).
Here are some few examples of governor limits in Salesforce:
- Maximum CPU time on the Salesforce servers - 10,000ms
- Total number of sendEmail methods allowed - 10
- Total number of records retrieved by a SOQL query - 50,000
- Total number of callouts in a transaction - 100
28. What are some things that you can do to prevent governor limits?
Here are some best practices you can follow to ensure that a code does not hit the governor limits.
- Bulkify your Code
- Use @future Appropriately
- Don’t make any SOQL, DML operation inside a loop
- Queue large datasets
- Use batch apex for more than 50,000 records
29. What happens to master-detail and lookup relationships when a record is deleted?
In a master-detail relationship, all the details are deleted when the master record is deleted. However, in a lookup relationship, the child record remains even when the parent record is deleted.
30. What do you mean by a sandbox in Salesforce?
In this salesforce interview question, the interviewer expects a thorough answer. Try giving as detailed answer as you can to prove your salesforce knowledge. A sandbox is an exact replica of a database that can be used for testing and development. It is very helpful because it allows you to test out new ideas on the duplicate database without disturbing the original one.
There are four types of sandboxes in Salesforce:
- Developer Sandbox - It contains a copy of the production org’s metadata and is intended for both development and testing in an isolated environment.
- Developer Pro Sandbox - It performs the same function as the developer sandbox, but can contain larger datasets.
- Partialcopy sandbox - It is intended to be used only as a testing environment. It contains a sample of the production org’s data and its metadata.
- Full sandbox - It is intended to be used only as a testing environment. It contains all the data of the production org, including objects, attachments and metadata.
31. How can you edit apex classes in a production environment?
You cannot edit apex classes directly in a production environment. It needs to be first done in the sandbox, then deployed in production where a user with Author Apex permission can make the changes.
Salesforce has become the centerpiece of any company’s sales and marketing automation efforts, and the demand for qualified Salesforce administrators is as high as ever. Nonetheless, competition is also tough for the right positions, so preparation is key if you want to stand out from the crowd.
These 31 most common Salesforce interview questions and answers will help you prepare effectively and perform well in Salesforce interviews. Study them thoroughly to make a good impression on your prospective employers. And in case you wish to add a rising star to your resume before your next salesforce interview, you must enroll in Simplilearn’s Salesforce Certification -Administrator and App Builder Course today!
Watch out the Simplilearn's video on Salesforce Administrator & App Builder Certification Training.