Presently, people all across the globe are dealing with numerous web applications in their day-to-day life. These applications can be boring, tedious, and non-secure. But this is where ASP.NET comes to the rescue and makes these applications worthwhile.
What Is ASP.NET?
ASP.NET is the latest version of Active Server Pages, which Microsoft developed to build websites. It is a web application framework released in 2002 and had an extension of .aspx.
- ASP.NET reduces all the issues that come up while building a web application like speed, cost, and language.
- ASP.NET provides multiple development modes, which help to develop applications in an easy and better way.
- ASP.NET works on an HTTP protocol and uses HTTP commands.
- ASP.NET provides a platform that allows writing a code in a text editor program and Visual Studio .NET.
- If you are building an application, ASP.NET could be the best choice as it is faster and more efficient than other technologies.
Components of ASP.NET
ASP.NET depends on three major components:
Language helps in the creation of web applications. Some languages that ASP.NET uses for development are VB.Net and C#.
There are different types of libraries with all the components to help developers and create applications.
3. Common Language Runtime
It is a platform that helps to execute the .Net programs. It is used for running key activities like exception handling and garbage collection.
Tools Used for ASP.NET
1. Microsoft Web Platform Installer
Microsoft Web Platform Installer is a free tool that can efficiently run web applications and get the latest components like SQL Server Express, .NET Framework, and Visual Studio.
2. Web Essentials for Visual Studio
Resharper is a tool that provides an absolute productivity boost in code quality analysis and helps to reduce time by identifying errors.
LINQPad is a tool that helps in testing LINQ queries. It also provides instant feedback. It comes up with built-in features like the debugger and autocomplete.
NDepend is used for the optimization of code and measuring the code quality. It is mainly used for static code analysis. This tool also provides a custom querying language for examining the application.
Advantages of Using ASP.NET
- Applications that are built using ASP.NET can perform better by taking advantage of early binding.
- ASP.NET is an independent platform where you can use any language according to your comfort.
- Applications built using ASP.NET are used across the world.
- ASP.NET enables developers to work more efficiently.
Disadvantages of using ASP.NET
- Security is the chief advantage and the major disadvantage because you should take more care to protect the applications.
- Asp.Net does not provide 100% Data Access for the applications.
- Applications built using ASP.NET are more expensive because it requires SQL Server licenses, Visual Studio licenses, Windows Server licenses, etc.
- Changes may not work in ASP.NET Applications. If you want to make changes for the applications, then you have to take help from GitHub.
Get a firm foundation in Java, the most commonly used programming language in software development with the Java Certification Training Course.
By now, you would have learned what ASP.NET is, and its importance and relevance in the present world. The hands-on demo would have helped you to understand more about ASP.NET.
If you are planning to learn .NET, consider enrolling in Simplilearn’s .NET Programming course. This comprehensive bootcamp is designed to help you master the fundamentals of .NET programming and how to create .NET projects. In the .NET programming certification course, you will be introduced to .NET space and coding with C#, including Visual Studio and Winforms, which will help you excel in your career. Check out our ASP.Net MCV interview questions to prepare for the job interview.
If you have any queries on this “What is ASP.NET” tutorial, do let us know them in the comment section. We will have our experts answer it for you as soon as possible.