If you're thinking about making an exciting, new career change, consider Robotic Process Automation, also known as RPA. It's an exceptional field requiring strategic planning, problem-solving, and programming skills. Whether you're somewhat familiar with RPA or you're just learning about it for the first time, this article will walk you through the preparation needed to become a proud professional who can earn a lucrative and rewarding RPA developer salary.
What Is an RPA Developer?
RPA is a relatively new career path. Companies may have different job titles, such as 'project manager' or 'process architect.' But regardless of the title, an RPA developer's role is to work cross-functionally with business analysts to optimize business workflow.
To automate a business process, an RPA developer creates workflow diagrams to document the processes strategically. This step helps streamline the entire business process. An RPA developer may also be responsible for testing or fixing bugs, so coding skills are essential. A successful RPA developer also can navigate through various RPA tools, like UiPath and Blue Prism.
RPA Developer Skills
Developers who want to bank on a high RPA developer salary need to work on the following skills:
- Strategic planning – An RPA developer, regardless of their designation, should have the aptitude to carry out strategic planning, including the design, development, and implementation of RPA systems.
- Analytical – It's imperative to be able to analyze information and make decisions to maximize efficiency. Most RPA developers will either have or quickly gain these skills.
- Problem-solving – Problem-solving is required to predict and overcome unit or system interruptions. Problem-solving skills play a significant role in the smooth execution of tasks.
- RPA tools and cognitive platforms – RPA developers have hands-on experience with Blue Prism, Automation Anywhere, UiPath, Redwood, Open Span, and WorkFusion.
- Communication – Communication skills are a must for any organization. RPA developers should be outspoken, be able to articulate new ideas, and raise concerns.
- Database management – Experience with databases — be it SQL or NoSQL — is highly desired. It's always an added advantage if you know how to access and manage databases.
RPA Job Roles
The following are some of the job roles available for RPA developers:
- RPA developer
- Senior RPA developer
- RPA process architect
- Senior RPA consultant
- RPA project manager
- RPA lead developer
- RPA business analyst
- RPA data analyst
RPA Job Roles and Responsibilities
The main objective of an RPA developer is to design, develop, and maintain RPA systems. They should follow best practices, like documentation, creation of workflows and diagrams. They are also responsible for managing and correcting mishaps that may occur during the entire process.
The following screenshots will help you understand the responsibilities of an RPA developer from a company’s’ perspective.
Companies Hiring for RPA Developers
Many top tier companies are actively hiring RPA developers, including:
Looking forward to a career as an RPA Developer? Check out the Robotic Process Automation using UiPath Training course and get certified today.
RPA Developer Salary
With digital transformation impacting and enhancing nearly every aspect of life, the robotics process automation salary that certified RPA developers can earn are undeniably appealing.
Today, RPA developers are some of the highest-paid IT professionals for this reason. However, a robotic process automation salary will vary depending on the location, experience, and job role.
Let’s dig into some numbers.
RPA Developer Salary in the U.S.
According to Glassdoor:
- The average salary of an RPA developer in the U.S. is around $80,179 annually
- The average salary of an RPA lead developer in the U.S. is approximately $112,284 annually
- An RPA consultant salary averages $87,434
- According to ZipRecruiter.com, an RPA engineer salary averages $102,947.
RPA Developer Salary in India
In India, according to Glassdoor, the average salary of an RPA developer in India is:
- Approximately ₹545,087 for an RPA developer
- And a lead developer salary of ₹876,386
RPA Developer Sample Resume
New developers are likely looking for some guidance to kickstart their RPA journey. An up-to-date, strong resume is a game-changer. The following is a sample resume that can guide a template, which can be customized to highlight your qualifications.
Looking to Take Your Next Step?
If you're interested in a new career as an automation engineer, then a certification will set you apart from other job-seekers. The Introduction to Robotic Process Automation certification training will build your RPA expertise from the ground up. This course enhances your credibility as an experienced RPA professional and proves your ability to automate projects.
To further enhance your career, consider Simplilearn's Post Graduate Digital Transformation Certification Program in collaboration with Purdue University. This course helps students take advantage of opportunities for disruption in a landscape driven by digital transformation. Co-created with KPMG in India, this graduate course offers real-world case studies and includes masterclasses, capstone projects, and consultant mentoring.