If you’re thinking about making an exciting and new career change, consider the field of Robotic Process Automation, also known as RPA. Whether you’re somewhat familiar with RPA, or you’re just learning about it for the first time, this article will walk you through everything you need to know about RPA.
What is an RPA Developer?
RPA is a relatively new career path. Many companies have different job titles, like ‘project manager’ or ‘process architect’. But regardless of the title, an RPA developer is someone who works cross-functionally with business analysts to optimize the business workflow.
In order to automate a business process, an RPA developer needs to create workflow diagrams to document the processes strategically. This helps streamline the entire business process. An RPA developer may also be responsible for testing or fixing bugs, so coding skills are also important. To become a successful RPA developer, you must have the aptitude for it and more importantly, the ability to navigate through various RPA tools, like UiPath and Blue Prism.
RPA Developer Skills
There are always prerequisites regardless of the job role you’re applying for. The following are a few skills that you might have to work on to land a decent job as an RPA developer:
- Strategic planning skills - Planning is a critical phase in any development lifecycle. The RPA developer, regardless of the designation, should possess the aptitude to ensure strategic planning. Strategic planning includes the design, development, and implementation of RPA systems. This helps streamline the business.
- Analytical skills - As the name suggests, it’s crucial to analyze the information and make decisions to maximize efficiency. Although a thorough understanding is required, most RPA developers will automatically gain these skills.
- Problem-solving skills - Crucial to predict any outages and equip the unit to overcome any unforeseen interruptions, you must be a problem solver. From the business perspective as well, problem-solving skills play a significant role in ensuring the smooth execution of tasks.
- Programming languages - Knowing popular programming languages like C/C++, Python, VB Script, Ruby, Java, JS, and .Net, is critical.
- RPA tools and cognitive platforms - Having hands-on experience with tools such as Blue Prism, Automation Anywhere, UiPath, Redwood, Open Span, and WorkFusion is necessary.
- Communication skills - Pivotal for any organization and any job role, communication skills are a must. The developer should be outspoken and articulate any new ideas. He or she should also be confident to raise concerns and maintain transparency.
- Exposure to SQL - Experience with databases, be it SQL or NoSQL, is highly preferred. It’s always an added advantage if you know how to access and manage databases.
RPA Job Roles
The following are some of the job roles available for RPA developers:
- RPA developer
- Senior RPA developer
- RPA process architect
- RPA developer - senior consultant
- RPA project manager
- RPA lead developer
- RPA business analyst
- RPA data analyst
RPA Job Roles and Responsibilities
The main objective of an RPA developer is to design, develop, and maintain RPA systems. They should follow best practices, like documentation, creation of workflows and diagrams, and so on. They are also responsible for any mishaps that may occur during the entire process. However, the responsibilities are not confined to just these. Companies look for dedicated developers who will meet their unique business needs.
The following screenshots will help you understand the responsibilities of an RPA developer from a company’s’ perspective.
Companies Hiring for RPA Developers
Many top tier companies are actively hiring RPA developers, including:
Looking forward to a career as an RPA Developer? Check out the Robotic Process Automation using UiPath Training course and get certified today.
RPA Developer Salary
With technology is rapidly advancing towards total automation, RPA developers are in high demand. Today, RPA developers are also some of the most highly paid IT professionals. However, their earnings can vary depending on the location, experience, and job role.
RPA Developer Salary in the USA
According to Glassdoor, the average salary of an RPA developer in the USA is around $76,000 annually. The average salary of an RPA lead developer in the US is approximately $99,000 annually.
RPA Developer Salary in India
In India, according to Glassdoor, the average salary of an RPA developer is approximately ₹598,000INR, with an average lead developer salary being ₹14,07,000.
RPA Developer Sample Resume
New developers are likely looking for some guidance to kickstart their RPA journey. An up-to-date, strong resume is a game-changer. The following is a sample resume that can guide a template, which can be customized to highlight your qualifications.
If you’re interested in embarking on a new career as an automation engineer, then a certification will come in handy. The Robotic Process Automation using UiPath certification training will build your RPA expertise from the ground up using the advanced UiPath platform. This course enhances your credibility as an experienced RPA professional and proves your ability to automate UiPath-based projects.