Technology today is evolving at a rapid pace, enabling faster change and progress, causing an acceleration of the rate of change. However, it is not only technology trends and emerging technologies that are evolving, a lot more has changed this year due to the outbreak of COVID-19 making IT professionals realize that their role will not stay the same in the contactless world tomorrow. And an IT professional in 2023-24 will constantly be learning, unlearning, and relearning (out of necessity if not desire).
Artificial intelligence will become more prevalent in 2023 with natural language processing and machine learning advancement. Artificial intelligence can better understand us and perform more complex tasks using this technology. It is estimated that 5G will revolutionize the way we live and work in the future.
What does this mean for you? It means staying current with emerging technologies and latest technology trends. And it means keeping your eyes on the future to know which skills you’ll need to know to secure a safe job tomorrow and even learn how to get there. All bows to the worldwide pandemic, most of the global IT population is sitting back, working from home. And if you wish to make the most of your time at home, here are the top 18 emerging technology trends you should watch for and make an attempt at in 2023, and possibly secure one of the jobs that will be created by these new technology trends. Explore various job oriented courses.
Top New Technology Trends
- Computing Power
- Smarter Devices
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Extended Reality
- Digital Trust
- 3D Printing
- New Energy Solutions
- Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
- Edge Computing
- Quantum Computing
- Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Cyber Security
1. Computing Power
Computing power has already established its place in the digital era, with almost every device and appliance being computerized. And it’s here for even more as data science experts have predicted that the computing infrastructure we are building right now will only evolve for the better in the coming years. At the same time, we have 5G already; gear up for an era of 6G with more power in our hands and devices surrounding us. Even better, computing power is generating more tech jobs in the industry but would require specialized qualifications for candidates to acquire. From data science to robotics and IT management, this field will power the largest percentage of employment in every country. The more computing our devices will need, the more technicians, IT teams, relationship managers, and the customer care economy will flourish.
One essential branch under this field that you can learn today is RPA, i.e. Robotic Process Automation. At Simplilearn, RPA is all about computing and automation software that can train you for a high-paying role in the IT industry. Here are the top jobs you can target after RPA:
- Data Scientist
- AI Engineer
- Robotics Researcher
- AI Architect
- Robotics Designer
2. Smarter Devices
Artificial intelligence has played an essential role in making our world smarter and smoother. It is not just simulating humans but going the extra mile to make our life hassle-free and simpler. These smarter devices are here to stay in 2023 and even further, as data scientists are working on AI home robots, appliances, work devices, wearables, and so much more! Almost every job needs smart software applications to make our work life more manageable. Smarter devices are another addition to the IT industry that is of high requirement and demand as more companies transform into digital spaces. Almost every higher-level job requires a good proficiency in IT and automation these days to thrive. This is why Simplilearn’s RPA course can help you master these skills to achieve par excellence in your career, whether in IT, marketing, or management. Here are the best jobs you can venture:
- IT Manager
- Data Scientists
- Product Testers
- Product Managers
- Automation Engineers
- IT Researchers
Datafication is simply transforming everything in our life into devices or software powered by data. So, in short, Datafication is the modification of human chores and tasks into data-driven technology. From our smartphones, industrial machines, and office applications to AI-powered appliances and everything else, data is here to stay for longer than we can ever remember! So, to keep our data stored the right way and secure and safe, it has become an in-demand specialization in our economy.
Datafication leads to a higher need for IT professionals, data scientists, engineers, technicians, managers, and so much more. Even more useful is that anyone with a sound knowledge of technology can do a certification in data-related specializations to find a job in this space. Data jobs are more about skills than big-level qualifications, and we have so many successful leaders emerging from smaller cities and developing countries like India. You can also equip yourself with this useful trending skill by doing a course like RPA to help you understand how automation works in the world of data. Let’s look at some popular data careers:
- Big Data Engineers
- Robotics Engineers
- IT Architect
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Data Scientists
4. Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning
Artificial Intelligence, or AI, has already received a lot of buzz in the past decade, but it continues to be one of the new technology trends because of its notable effects on how we live, work and play are only in the early stages. AI is already known for its superiority in image and speech recognition, navigation apps, smartphone personal assistants, ride-sharing apps and so much more.
Related learning: Advantages and Disadvantages of Artificial Intelligence
Other than that AI will be used further to analyze interactions to determine underlying connections and insights, to help predict demand for services like hospitals enabling authorities to make better decisions about resource utilization, and to detect the changing patterns of customer behaviour by analyzing data in near real-time, driving revenues and enhancing personalized experiences.
The AI market will grow to a $190 billion industry by 2025 with global spending on cognitive and AI systems reaching over $57 billion in 2023. With AI spreading its wings across sectors, new jobs will be created in development, programming, testing, support and maintenance, to name a few. On the other hand AI also offers some of the highest salaries today ranging from over $1,25,000 per year (machine learning engineer) to $145,000 per year (AI architect) - making it the top new technology trend you must watch out for!
Machine Learning the subset of AI, is also being deployed in all kinds of industries, creating a huge demand for skilled professionals. Forrester predicts AI, machine learning, and automation will create 9 percent of new U.S. jobs by 2025, jobs including robot monitoring professionals, data scientists, automation specialists, and content curators, making it another new technology trend you must keep in mind too!
Mastering AI and machine learning will help you secure jobs like:
- AI Research Scientist
- AI Engineer
- Machine Learning Engineer
- AI Architect
5. Extended Reality
Extended reality comprises all the technologies that simulate reality, from Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality to Mixed Reality and everything else in-between. It is a significant technology trend right now as all of us are craving to break away from the so-called real boundaries of the world. By creating a reality without any tangible presence, this technology is massively popular amongst gamers, medical specialists, and retail and modeling.
Regarding extended reality, gaming is a crucial area for popular careers that don’t require high-level qualifications but rather a passion for online gaming. You can pursue game design, animation or even editing programs to pursue a successful career in this specialization. Meanwhile, check out the best jobs in AR, VR as well as ER:
- Extended Reality Architect
- Front Lead Engineer
- Software Developer
- AR/VR Support Engineers
- Game Designers
- Pro Gamers
- Creative Directors
6. Digital Trust
With people being accommodated and tangled with devices and technologies, confidence and trust have been built towards digital technologies. This familiar digital trust is another vital trend leading to more innovations. With digital conviction, people believe that technology can create a secure, safe and reliable digital world and help companies invent and innovate without worrying about securing the public’s confidence.
To create a safer space for digital users, cybersecurity and ethical hacking are the major specializations you can check out. In these two, there is an array of jobs you can discover from junior to senior levels. For ethical hacking, you might have to take up professional certifications, while for cybersecurity, a diploma or even a master’s qualification is sufficient to aim for a high-salary role. Here are the top jobs you can find in cybersecurity and ethical hacking:
- Cybersecurity Analyst
- Penetration Tester
- Security Engineer
- Security Architect
- Security Automation Engineer
- Network Security Analyst
7. 3D Printing
A key trend in innovation and technology is 3D printing which is used to formulate prototypes. This technology has been impactful in the biomedical and industrial sectors. None of us thought of printing a real object from a printer, while right now, it’s a reality. So, 3D printing is another innovation that’s here to stay. For companies in the data and healthcare sector that require a lot of 3D printing for their products, various jobs pay well and are international. All you need is a sound knowledge of AI, Machine Learning, Modeling, and 3D printing. Let’s check out the best jobs in this specialization:
- CX Program Manager
- 3D Printer Engineer
- Emulation Prototyping Engineer
- Robotics Trainer
- AI Engineer
- Operations Manager
- Organ & Prosthetic Designer
Imagine a technology that can study your DNA and use it to improve your health, helping you fight diseases and whatnot! Genomics is precisely that technology that peruses upon the make-up of genes, DNAs, their mapping, structure, etc. Further, this can help quantify your genes and result in finding diseases or any possible problems that can later be a health issue. When it comes to a specialization like Genomics, one can find a variety of technical as well as non-technical roles. Technical jobs in this area are all about designing, analyzing, and diagnostics, while non-technical jobs are concerned with higher levels of research and theoretical analysis. Here are the top jobs in Genomics:
- Bioinformatics Analyst
- Genome Research Analyst
- Full Stack Developer
- Software Engineer
- Genetics Engineer
9. New Energy Solutions
The world has agreed to be greener for the sake of its landscapes and the energy we use. This results in cars running on electricity or battery and houses using greener choices like solar and renewable energy. What’s even better is that people are conscious of their carbon footprints and waste; thus, minimizing it or turning those into renewable energy is even more helpful.
This alternative energy arena is also boosting environment-related and data-oriented careers. These careers pertain to those in Science specializations and social science qualifications. Let’s take a look at the top jobs you can find in New Energy:
- Energy Specialist (Solar, Thermal, Hydro-power etc.)
- Solar Plant Design Energy
- Climate Strategy Specialist
- Project Manager
- Chemical Energy
- Biotechnology Specialist
- Renewable Energy Technologist
10. Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
Like AI and Machine Learning, Robotic Process Automation, or RPA, is another technology that is automating jobs. RPA is the use of software to automate business processes such as interpreting applications, processing transactions, dealing with data, and even replying to emails. RPA automates repetitive tasks that people used to do.
Although Forrester Research estimates RPA automation will threaten the livelihood of 230 million or more knowledge workers or approximately 9 percent of the global workforce, RPA is also creating new jobs while altering existing jobs. McKinsey finds that less than 5 percent of occupations can be totally automated, but about 60 percent can be partially automated.
For you as an IT professional looking to the future and trying to understand latest technology trends, RPA offers plenty of career opportunities, including developer, project manager, business analyst, solution architect and consultant. And these jobs pay well. An RPA developer can earn over ₹534K per year - making it the next technology trend you must keep a watch on!
Mastering RPA will help you secure high paying jobs like:
- RPA Developer
- RPA Analyst
- RPA Architect
11. Edge Computing
Formerly a new technology trend to watch, cloud computing has become mainstream, with major players AWS (Amazon Web Services), Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform dominating the market. The adoption of cloud computing is still growing, as more and more businesses migrate to a cloud solution. But it’s no longer the emerging technology trend. Edge is.
As the quantity of data organizations is dealing with continues to increase, they have realized the shortcomings of cloud computing in some situations. Edge computing is designed to help solve some of those problems as a way to bypass the latency caused by cloud computing and getting data to a data center for processing. It can exist “on the edge,” if you will, closer to where computing needs to happen. For this reason, edge computing can be used to process time-sensitive data in remote locations with limited or no connectivity to a centralized location. In those situations, edge computing can act like mini datacenters.
Edge computing will increase as use of the Internet of Things (IoT) devices increases. By 2023, the global edge computing market is expected to reach $6.72 billion. And this new technology trend is only meant to grow and nothing less, creating various jobs, primarily for software engineers.
Keeping in line with cloud computing (including new-age edge and quantum computing) will help you grab amazing jobs like:
- Cloud Reliability Engineer
- Cloud Infrastructure Engineer
- Cloud Architect and Security Architect
- DevOps Cloud Engineer
12. Quantum Computing
Next remarkable technology trend is quantum computing, which is a form of computing that takes advantage of quantum phenomena like superposition and quantum entanglement. This amazing technology trend is also involved in preventing the spread of the coronavirus, and to develop potential vaccines, thanks to its ability to easily query, monitor, analyze and act on data, regardless of the source. Another field where quantum computing is finding applications is banking and finance, to manage credit risk, for high-frequency trading and fraud detection.
Quantum computers are now a multitude times faster than regular computers and huge brands like Splunk, Honeywell, Microsoft, AWS, Google and many others are now involved in making innovations in the field of Quantum Computing. The revenues for the global quantum computing market are projected to surpass $2.5 billion by 2029. And to make a mark in this new trending technology, you need to have experience with quantum mechanics, linear algebra, probability, information theory, and machine learning.
13. Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality
The next exceptional technology trend - Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR), and Extended Reality (ER). VR immerses the user in an environment while AR enhances their environment. Although this technology trend has primarily been used for gaming thus far, it has also been used for training, as with VirtualShip, a simulation software used to train U.S. Navy, Army and Coast Guard ship captains.
Read more: All about Virtual Reality!! What is Virtual Reality?
In 2023, we can expect these forms of technologies being further integrated into our lives. Usually working in tandem with some of the other emerging technologies we’ve mentioned in this list, AR and VR have enormous potential in training, entertainment, education, marketing, and even rehabilitation after an injury. Either could be used to train doctors to do surgery, offer museum goers a deeper experience, enhance theme parks, or even enhance marketing, as with this Pepsi Max bus shelter.
Fun fact: 14 million AR and VR devices were sold in 2019. The global AR and VR market is expected to grow to $209.2 billion by 2023, only creating more opportunities in the trending technology, and welcoming more professionals ready for this game-changing field.
While some employers might look for optics as a skill-set, note that getting started in VR doesn’t require a lot of specialized knowledge - basic programming skills and a forward-thinking mindset can land a job; another reason why this new technology trend should make up to your list of lookouts!
Although most people think of blockchain technology in relation to cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, blockchain offers security that is useful in many other ways. In the simplest of terms, blockchain can be described as data you can only add to, not take away from, or change. Hence the term “chain” because you’re making a chain of data. Not being able to change the previous blocks is what makes it so secure. In addition, blockchains are consensus-driven, so no one entity can take control of the data. With blockchain, you don’t need a trusted third-party to oversee or validate transactions.
Several industries are involving and implementing blockchain, and as the use of blockchain technology increases, so too does the demand for skilled professionals. From a birds eye view, a blockchain developer specializes in developing and implementing architecture and solutions using blockchain technology. The average yearly salary of a blockchain developer is ₹469K.
If you are intrigued by Blockchain and its applications and want to make your career in this trending technology, then this is the right time to start. To get into Blockchain, you need to have hands-on experience of programming languages, the fundamentals of OOPS, flat and relational databases, data structures, web app development, and networking, to get that you can enroll in blockchain traning course.
Mastering blockchain can help you scale up in a variety of fields and industries:
- Risk Analyst
- Tech Architect
- Crypto Community Manager
- Front End Engineer
15. Internet of Things (IoT)
Another promising new technology trend is IoT. Many “things” are now being built with WiFi connectivity, meaning they can be connected to the Internet—and to each other. Hence, the Internet of Things, or IoT. The Internet of Things is the future, and has already enabled devices, home appliances, cars and much more to be connected to and exchange data over the Internet.
As consumers, we’re already using and benefitting from IoT. We can lock our doors remotely if we forget to when we leave for work and preheat our ovens on our way home from work, all while tracking our fitness on our Fitbits. However, businesses also have much to gain now and in the near future. The IoT can enable better safety, efficiency and decision making for businesses as data is collected and analyzed. It can enable predictive maintenance, speed up medical care, improve customer service, and offer benefits we haven’t even imagined yet.
And we’re only in the beginning stages of this new technology trend: Forecasts suggest that by 2030 around 50 billion of these IoT devices will be in use around the world, creating a massive web of interconnected devices spanning everything from smartphones to kitchen appliances. The global spending on the Internet of Things (IoT) is forecast to reach 1.1 trillion U.S. dollars in 2023. New technologies such as 5G is expected to drive market growth in the coming years.
And if you wish to step foot in this trending technology, you will have to learn about Information security, AI and machine learning fundamentals, networking, hardware interfacing, data analytics, automation, understanding of embedded systems, and must have device and design knowledge.
The next technology trend that follows the IoT is 5G. Where 3G and 4G technologies have enabled us to browse the internet, use data driven services, increased bandwidths for streaming on Spotify or YouTube and so much more, 5G services are expected to revolutionize our lives. by enabling services that rely on advanced technologies like AR and VR, alongside cloud based gaming services like Google Stadia, NVidia GeForce Now and much more. It is expected to be used in factories, HD cameras that help improve safety and traffic management, smart grid control and smart retail too.
Related learning: How 5G Technology Will Change the World?
Just about every telecom company like Verizon, Tmobile, Apple, Nokia Corp, QualComm, are now working on creating 5G applications. 5G Network subscriptions will reach 4.4 billion by the end of 2027, making it an emerging technology trend you must watch out for, and also save a spot in.
17. Cyber Security
Cyber security might not seem like an emerging technology, given that it has been around for a while, but it is evolving just as other technologies are. That’s in part because threats are constantly new. The malevolent hackers who are trying to illegally access data are not going to give up any time soon, and they will continue to find ways to get through even the toughest security measures. It’s also in part because new technology is being adapted to enhance security. As long as we have hackers, cybersecurity will remain a trending technology because it will constantly evolve to defend against those hackers.
As proof of the strong need for cybersecurity professionals, the number of cybersecurity jobs is growing three times faster than other tech jobs. According to Gartner, by 2025, 60% of organizations will use cybersecurity risk as a primary determinant in conducting third-party transactions and business engagements. You must note that however challenging the field is it also offers lucrative six-figure incomes, and roles can range from
- Ethical Hacker
- Malware Analyst
- Security Engineer
- Chief Security Officer
offering a promising career path for someone who wants to get into and stick with this new trending technology.
Choose the Right Program
Unlock Your Potential with Simplilearn's Industry-Leading Courses!
Are you ready to take your career to new heights? Simplilearn is here to empower you with the skills and knowledge you need to succeed in today's rapidly evolving job market. Whether you're looking to upskill, reskill, or embark on a brand-new career path, we have the perfect course for you.
Program Name Automation Testing Masters Program Post Graduate Program In Data Science DS Master's Geo All All Geos All Geos University Simplilearn Purdue Simplilearn Course Duration 11 Months 11 Months 11 Months Coding Experience Required Basic Basic Basic Skills You Will Learn Java, AWS, API Testing, TDD, etc. 8+ skills including
Exploratory Data Analysis, Descriptive Statistics, Inferential Statistics, and more
10+ skills including data structure, data manipulation, NumPy, Scikit-Learn, Tableau and more Additional Benefits Structured Guidance
Learn From Experts
Purdue Alumni Association Membership
Free IIMJobs Pro-Membership of 6 months
Resume Building Assistance
Applied Learning via Capstone and 25+ Data Science Projects Cost $$ $$$$ $$ Explore Program Explore Program Explore Program
Various New Technology Trends and 1 Solution to Succeed in Them
Although technologies are emerging and evolving all around us, these 9 technology trends offer promising career potential now and for the foreseeable future. And most of these trending technologies are welcoming skilled professionals, meaning the time is right for you to choose one, get trained, and get on board at the early stages of these trending technologies, positioning you for success now and in the future.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What are the 6 major technologies?
- Artificial intelligence (AI): AI refers to developing computer systems that can perform tasks that would typically require human intelligence, such as recognizing speech or making decisions. AI is used in various applications, from virtual assistants like Siri and Alexa to self-driving cars.
- Blockchain: Blockchain is a digital ledger technology that allows for secure, transparent transactions without a central authority. It has been used to develop cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum, as well as to facilitate certain transactions in other industries, such as supply chain management.
- Internet of Things (IoT): IoT refers to the network of physical devices, vehicles, and other items embedded with sensors, software, and connectivity that allows them to exchange data. IoT devices are used in a variety of settings, from smart homes to manufacturing facilities, and are expected to have a significant impact on industries such as healthcare and transportation.
- Cloud computing: Cloud computing involves delivering services over the internet, allowing users to access data and applications from anywhere. Cloud computing has transformed how many businesses operate, making storing and accessing data and applications more straightforward and cost-effective.
- 5G: 5G is the fifth generation of wireless technology, offering faster speeds and more reliable connections than previous generations. 5G is expected to enable a range of new applications, from self-driving cars to augmented reality.
- Renewable energy: Renewable energy technologies, such as solar and wind power, are increasingly used to provide electricity worldwide. These technologies can reduce greenhouse gas emissions and mitigate the effects of climate change.
2. What are the five characteristics of emerging technologies?
Several characteristics emerging technologies tend to share. Here are five common ones:
- Novelty: Emerging technologies are typically new or novel, meaning they have yet to be widely adopted or used. They often represent a significant departure from existing technologies or processes.
- Potential for Disruption: Emerging technologies have the potential to disrupt existing markets, industries, or ways of doing things. They may offer new opportunities for innovation and growth but can also displace existing businesses or industries.
- Uncertainty: Because emerging technologies are still in the early stages of development, there is often a high uncertainty surrounding their future potential and impact. It can be challenging to predict how they will evolve, how they will be adopted, or what their long-term effects will be.
- Rapid Change: Emerging technologies often evolve rapidly, with new developments and innovations emerging frequently. It can make keeping up with the latest trends and advancements challenging.
- Interdisciplinary: Emerging technologies often involve multiple disciplines or fields of study, such as computer science, engineering, and biology. They may require collaboration across different fields and industries to develop their potential fully.
3. What are the 5 technologies that will change the world?
- Artificial intelligence (AI): AI can potentially transform a wide range of industries, from healthcare and finance to transportation and manufacturing. It could enable more personalized, efficient, and effective services and products while raising important ethical and social issues.
- Blockchain: Blockchain technology has the potential to revolutionize the way transactions are conducted, making them faster, cheaper, and more secure. It could transform finance, supply chain management, and healthcare industries.
- Renewable Energy: The shift to renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind power, has the potential to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and mitigate the effects of climate change. It could also create new jobs and economic opportunities.
- Internet of Things (IoT): The IoT, which refers to the network of connected devices and sensors that are embedded in everyday objects, has the potential to transform industries such as healthcare, transportation, and agriculture. It could enable more efficient and personalized services while raising important privacy and security issues.
- 5G: The next generation of wireless technology, 5G, has the potential to enable a range of new applications, from self-driving cars to augmented reality. It could transform industries such as telecommunications, entertainment, and transportation.
4. What are the five types of technology?
- Information and communication technology (ICT): This includes technologies used to process, store, and transmit information, such as computers, smartphones, and the internet. ICT is essential to many aspects of modern life, from communication and entertainment to business and education.
- Biotechnology: Biotechnology involves using living organisms or biological systems to create new products, processes, and technologies. It includes fields such as genetic engineering, biomedicine, and agricultural biotechnology.
- Nanotechnology: Nanotechnology involves manipulating materials on a tiny scale, often at the level of individual atoms or molecules. It can potentially revolutionize medicine, electronics, and materials science.
- Energy technology: This includes technologies used to generate, store, and distribute energy, such as renewable energy sources, fossil fuels, and nuclear power. Energy technology is crucial to meeting the world's growing energy needs while reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- Manufacturing technology: This includes technologies used to design, create, and produce goods, such as automation and robotics, 3D printing, and advanced materials. Manufacturing technology is essential to many industries, from aerospace and automotive to healthcare and consumer goods.