Steps to Apply for PMP exam
Guest Contribution by Sudheer Vyas, PMP®.
Steps to apply for PMP®exam -
1. Visit PMI® at their website - www.pmi.org.
2. Create your profile - mention all your details such as contact details etc.
3. Go to the "Certification" option.
4. Click on the icon "Ready to Apply"- you will then have to select the 2nd choice on the next page which is for the PMP exam. Throughout the application procedure, clicking on this option will also show the status of your application and the edits you have made.
5. Once you click on the PMP® exam link you will be guided to the application form. If you've already registered then your basic details such as name, contact etc., will appear as per the details of initial registration, so state them clearly when you register.
6. The application is arranged in the following sequence - Highest education -> Project details such as no. of hours for each activity in all the 5 process groups, basic details of the project in 300-500 characters involving objective, key deliverables, & outcome, and the details of the reference (along with contact no. & e-mail) for each project -> confirmation of address -> submission for approval.
7. Please note that the project details should sum to 4500 hours (or above) & 36 (or above) non-overlapping months in last 6 years which is clearly summarized & shown as you go on updating your projects.
8. Once you've finished updating the project details & applied for approval, the status of your profile (Step-4) will reflect "under review by PMI®".
9. PMI® takes at least 5 business days to approve your application & does a random audit with your details and the references you will have mentioned.
10. Once you receive the approval, you get a year's time to pay & schedule the test at your nearest location. The status of your profile (Step-4) will reflect "approved".
11. You can't proceed any further from here on unless you pay the test fee. Scheduling the test can be done once you have paid your amount.
12. Once you make the payment, PMI® provides a code to schedule your exam and the status of your profile (Step-4) will be updated with payment details "Schedule Test".
13. PMI has hired "Prometric Testing Solutions" to conduct the test on their behalf. When you click on "Schedule Test" on PMI® website you'll be directed to their site for further scheduling.
14. You'll have to enter the code you receive, and first four letters of your last name. The Prometric then allows you to scan through the availability of the test center at your nearest location.
15. Generally, PMI® recommends that the test should be scheduled at least 5-6 weeks in advance. The scheduling should be done as per your confidence level. Please note you can't even scan the availability of test centers unless you pay the exam fee.
16. You will need to carry a photo id that reflects your signature. A passport is usually preferred.
17. When you attempt the test you can "Mark" the questions that you aren't sure of & review them later. You can review any question and change your answer if you are not satisfied.
18. Once You have completed click on "End of Exam" & it gives you the final report of your test instantly. This will indicate that the result of your test (Pass or Fail) & the level of proficiency (Proficient, Moderately Proficient & Below Proficient) for all 5 process groups & Professional & Social Responsibility.
19. All in all, the difficulty level is average but this may vary test to test.
20. The test center will give you a hard copy of an auto-generated PMP® exam test report indicating the result & proficiency levels. This hard copy is the provisional certificate till PMI® sends the original certificate in another 4-6 weeks.
[Preparing for PMP®? Take this test to know where you stand!]
Here is a video which talks about PMP®Tips and Tricks and PMP® Exam Preparation. Hope you find it beneficial.
PMP is a registered trademark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
About the On-Demand Webinar
About the Webinar