Every passing day, and every passing minute, we are producing more information and data than before. Be it new trends on social media, or the latest piece of news on the internet, or google searches - there’s new data everywhere.
If we annotate all of this data and dig deeper, we can learn more about consumer behavior, customer choice, target audiences, and ultimately curate and sell better products and services. How do we exactly do this? Data analysis is the answer.
Other than the demand and the exciting day-to-day work a data analyst does, salary plays an important role too for choosing this field as your career. In this article you uncover the data analyst salary in Toronto based on experience.
Data Analyst Salaries in Toronto Based on Experience
Toronto offers a lavish lifestyle and salary to its population. The average data analyst salary in Toronto (per Glassdoor) is over CA$61,000. However, these numbers may rise depending on your experience.
Next up, let us explore data analyst salaries in Toronto based on industry experience:
Entry-Level Data Analyst Salary in Toronto
A fresher in the data analytics field usually have:
- A bachelor's degree in a relevant field (such as data science, business analytics, statistics, etc)
- A basic understanding of data analytics tools such as SQL
- A basic understanding of NoSQL databases like MongoDB and Cassandra
- Strong analytical skills
An entry-level data analyst salary in Toronto earns between C$40,000 and C$50,000 annually.
Mid-Level Data Analyst Salary in Toronto
A mid-level professional in the data analytics field usually has:
- SQL expertise with database systems including SQL Server, MySQL (and/or relevant database systems)
- A decent hand at creating reports, dashboards and getting meaningful insights from them
- Programming experience ( such as Python, R, Java, or equivalent languages)
- A thorough experience in documenting and maintaining data dictionaries and metrics
- A strong hand at documentation
A professional at a mid-level stage should ideally have at least four years of experience in data analysis and business intelligence. A mid-level data analyst salary in Toronto earns between C$55,000 and C$75,000 annually.
Senior Data Analyst Salary in Toronto
A senior professional in the data analytics field, with over 6-8 years of experience in this field, usually has:
- Master’s degree in/or Data Science, Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems, Applied Math, or Business Administration
- Expertise in data analysis (using python, SQL or relevant tools)
- An eye to identify trends in the data, and proactively communicate to the team and stakeholders
- Expert-level analytical and conceptual thinking skills
An experienced data analyst in Toronto can expect to earn an average $76,000-$100,000 annually.
Data Analyst Salaries in Toronto and Other Canadian Cities
As Canada's largest city and a major business hub, Toronto offers a high demand for data analysts. Salaries for data analysts in Toronto tend to be relatively higher compared to other cities, with average annual salaries ranging from CAD 60,000 to CAD 90,000, depending on experience and skills.
Vancouver is another thriving city with a growing tech industry. Data analyst salaries in Vancouver are generally competitive, though slightly lower than Toronto. Average annual salaries for data analysts in Vancouver range from CAD 55,000 to CAD 85,000.
Montreal has a vibrant tech and gaming industry, attracting data analysts with various opportunities. Salaries for data analysts in Montreal are relatively lower than Toronto and Vancouver but can still provide a good standard of living. Average annual salaries range from CAD 50,000 to CAD 75,000.
Calgary, known for its oil and gas industry, offers data analysts opportunities in sectors like energy, finance, and technology. Salaries for data analysts in Calgary are typically on par with or slightly below the national average. Average annual salaries range from CAD 55,000 to CAD 85,000.
As the capital city of Canada, Ottawa hosts a significant number of government agencies and tech companies. Data analyst salaries in Ottawa are generally competitive, similar to or slightly below the national average. Average annual salaries range from CAD 55,000 to CAD 80,000.
Career and Salary Prospects For Data Analysts In Toronto
The career prospects for data analysts in Toronto are promising due to the city's strong business environment, technological advancements, and increasing reliance on data-driven decision-making. Here are some key points regarding career prospects for data analysts in Toronto:
1. Growing Demand of Data Analyst in Toronto: There is a growing demand for data analysts across various industries in Toronto. Organizations recognize the value of leveraging data to gain insights and make informed business decisions, which drives the need for skilled data analysts.
2. Diverse Industry Opportunities: Toronto is a major economic hub with a diverse range of industries, including finance, healthcare, technology, retail, and more. This diversity provides data analysts with ample opportunities to work in different sectors and gain exposure to various data challenges and projects.
3. Tech Industry Growth: Toronto's tech sector is rapidly expanding, creating additional job opportunities for data analysts. With the rise of startups, innovation hubs, and established tech companies, data analysts can find exciting roles in areas like artificial intelligence, machine learning, big data analytics, and cloud computing.
4. Career Progression: With experience and continuous learning, data analysts can advance to roles such as senior data analyst, data scientist, data engineer, or managerial positions. This allows for professional development and higher earning potential.
5. Innovation and Collaboration: Toronto has a thriving community of professionals, organizations, and educational institutions focused on data analytics and related fields. This fosters a culture of innovation, collaboration, and knowledge sharing, providing data analysts with opportunities to network, learn from industry experts, and stay up-to-date with emerging trends.
6. Job Stability: Data analytics is considered a stable and in-demand career path. As organizations increasingly rely on data to drive their operations and strategic decision-making, skilled data analysts are likely to enjoy job stability and a steady stream of opportunities.
It's important for data analysts in Toronto to stay updated with the latest industry trends, continuously enhance their skills, and build a strong professional network. By doing so, they can maximize their career prospects and seize rewarding opportunities.
- Data Analyst Salary Around the Globe
- Data Analyst JD, Roles and Responsibilities
- How to Become a Data Analyst
If you wish to understand the A-Z of data analytics and become a pro in this field, you must enroll in our most popular data analyst master's program. With hands-on projects, industry-relevant curriculum, and expert guidance, this program equips learners with the knowledge and tools needed to excel in the field of data analytics and unlock lucrative career opportunities. Explore and enroll today!