Simplilearn conducted our 2021 end-of-year survey of Learning and Development (L&D) professionals to get an overview of the enterprise learning and development landscape and understand what upskilling opportunities companies are providing their employees. The survey provides insights on employee skill development budgets, the various types of training that the organizations offer to their employees, the skill domains that will receive the highest priority in 2022, and the challenges faced by the organizations regarding online skills training.
Simplilearn surveyed 200 Learning and Development professionals worldwide:
- 35% associate level
- 30% managerial level
- 19% director level
- 5% VP level
- 11% C-level
Key Insights for Enterprise Learning and Development
The infographic shows the key insights from the survey and provides an overview of Learning and Development expectations for 2022. It paints an optimistic picture for 2022:
- 84% of the respondents said their learning and development budget increased or remained the same in 2021. On average, enterprise learning and development budgets increased by 4% year-over-year from 2020 levels.
- 80% of the respondents said an area of focus in 2022 will be developing digital skills internally.
- The top skill areas organizations want to promote for employee upskilling are Technology (54%), Digital Operations (39%), Digital Business (34%), and Data Science (30%).
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning are the highest priority skill domains for 2022. The next highest priority domains (in descending order of interest) are Cyber Security, Digital Marketing, Cloud Computing, Data Science, and Project Management. These skills will receive the organizations’ highest budget priority for internal upskilling and hiring from outside.
- Of the challenges organizations face concerning online skills training, the biggest are Measuring ROI & Application of New Skills (57%), Budgeting (19%), and Completion Rates (19%).
- Reimbursing employees for employee-paid upskilling is gaining traction. 42% of respondents said they offer reimbursement programs and 18% said they are considering offering them. This confirms an increased focus on corporate upskilling.
Unlock your team's potential with Simplilearn's Comprehensive Upskilling programs. Explore Now!
Shifts in Priorities
Organizations shifted their budgeting priorities in 2021 for internal upskilling and external hires. About a quarter of respondents said they reduced upskilling and hiring budgets from 2020 levels for IT Service and Architecture, Quality Management, and Project Management.
Simplilearn offers comprehensive corporate upskilling and reskilling programs, tailored to the specific needs and job roles of each client enterprise. Learn more and start a conversation with us by visiting our Corporate Training page.