The final year project plays a very crucial part in a student's life. A lot of things depend on it, and it will be used as a benchmark by job recruiters too. During the course of your project, there will be many crossroads that you might face. This article will help you get a clear idea of how to go about your project. Here, we will give you seven vital tips that will help you ace your final year project. We will look into each one of these tips individually.
Also Read: The Top Upskilling Tips for Today’s Learners
Here’s a look at the top project tips for your final year:
1. Choose Your Topic Wisely
- Choosing the right final year project topic holds paramount importance. This decision can be overwhelming with the number of options available today. Choose a topic related to your field of study that is of great interest to you.
- Additionally, it is advised that you have a topic that has a powerful motive. For instance, a project that helps humankind will truly be unmatched. Another factor to keep in mind is to choose topics that aren't very common.
Let us now take you through a few examples of projects related to the different branches of engineering:
1. Computer Science and IT Final Year Project Ideas:
- Creating a chatbot is a great project idea. Currently, chatbots are gaining huge popularity and are being used extensively to solve customer issues.
- The next project idea is face detection. This is used in companies like IBM, Facebook, and Google.
- You can also have a project centered on current events such as predicting Coronavirus cases, US Election results, and so on.
- Creating a search engine that would return relevant links based on your search term is also interesting.
- Performing sentiment analysis using R or Python is another absorbing project idea.
Also Read: How Facebook is Using Big Data?
2. Electrical and Electronics Final Year Project Ideas:
- You can create a simple Bluetooth controlled electronic home appliances project. With Bluetooth technology, you can control various electrical appliances and electronic devices using an android device.
- You could also use radiofrequency technology to build a metal detector robotic system that can identify metals in the ground, inside a bag, and so on.
- You can build a 5 volt regulated DC supply from a 220 AC to charge mobiles as well as the power source for ICs, digital circuits, breadboard circuits, micro-controllers, etc.
- Next, you can create a micro-controller based project that automatically turns on or off the lights in a room.
- A project on micro-inverters can be used to power light loads such as night lamps and cordless telephones. We can modify this into a powerful inverter by adding more MOSFETs.
2. Mechanical Final Year Project Ideas:
- One of the ideas is that you can build a 3D printer machine with additive manufacturing techniques in which we can print 3D objects with CAD software's help.
- You could also create a compressed air engine that does mechanical work by expanding compressed air, reducing vehicle production costs, and consuming fossil fuels.
- Using modern tools and software such as Vred, Autodesk Showcase, LightWave 3D, and Autodesk Alias, you can create 3D visualizations and design vehicles.
- Next, you can have a conveyor system project that supports mechanical handling equipment to move objects from one location to another.
Those were a few of the project ideas for your final year; however, these projects are not the only ones you need to choose. There are several other interesting projects that you can opt for in your final year.
2. Choose the Right Project Guide
- Project guides play a major role in defining the success of a final year project. He/She should be an excellent mentor and a subject matter expert. It will be beneficial if your guide is carrying out research in the same field or if he/she has already published research papers in the past. This way, you can add an extra weightage to your project by utilizing your guide’s experience and knowledge.
- In addition to choosing the right project guide, you must also make sure to choose the right set of team members to work with if it is a group project. Choosing the right project members who are cooperative and equally hard-working is very crucial.
3. Plan Your Project Well
- As generic as it sounds, it is that important. Once you have finalized your project topic and the guide, you have to make extensive plans to go about the entire process. It would be best to have a project plan covering the goal, research, requirements, cost estimations, implementation, and presentation.
- Make sure to create a plan, keeping in mind the deadlines; this will help you streamline the process and, in turn, save you from last-minute confusion. Breaking down your project into phases and executing them is the right approach. A strong project plan can yield better results than one can imagine.
4. Read the Existing Research Papers
- Several advantages come by if you read the existing research papers that are closely related to your project. For instance, you will get an idea of what content is already available and what is lacking. This way, you can certify that your project has additional information from the existing ones.
- Reading research papers will also give you ideas, a strong foundation, and an outline of how you should go about with your final year project.
5. Publish a Research Paper
- Publishing a research paper is one of the few ways you can add credibility to your final year project. This gives you more confidence while presenting your project. Many times, research papers also open doors to new opportunities.
- After you complete your research paper, make sure to reference it well, proofread, and edit it. Check your paper for repetitions, grammatical errors, and quotation rules obeyed, etc. Research papers add a huge amount of value to your resume.
The cut-outs shown below are a few samples of research papers published in leading journals and professional associations related to multiple technologies and research domains, such as quantum computing, wireless sensor networks, augmented reality, axial turbines, and others.
It is highly recommended to publish a research paper in peer-reviewed journals that give international recognition to individuals, departments, universities, and institutions. This also helps in enrolling for higher education at reputed institutes.
6. Implement and Test your Project
- Before presenting your project, you need to implement and test it. By doing so, you can fix errors, if any. Using the trial and error method, you should continue the process.
- You can use some test cases to check if your project yields the expected results. Ensure that the result is aligned with your project goal, and there shouldn't be any deviations.
7. Presentation and Visualization
- It is pointless to have slogged for your project if you cannot deliver your project well on the final day. Hence, it is of supreme importance that you are well-versed with your project and make a good, in-depth, and interactive presentation on it.
- Using data visualization in your presentation will be beneficial as the project results will be conveyed concisely. During the course of your presentation, be prepared to carefully and calmly answer the questions asked by the panel. You can master the art of presentation with a considerable amount of practice.
Those were the important project tips to complete your final year project in a hassle-free manner.
Now that this article has given you an insight into the top project tips, you can work around these tips and work hard to bring out a great final year project successfully. Do you have any questions about this article on 'The Best Guide to Your Final Year Project Tips'? Please mention them in this article's comment section. Our qualified experts will get back to you as quickly as possible. You can watch this video: Final Year Project Tips to learn more about this topic.