Accessing learning content at your fingertips with ease, anywhere and anytime, is possible with mobile learning. Mobile phones are no more restricted to attending calls, communicating with family and friends, gaming, and online shopping. Mobile learning allows you to learn outside the traditional classrooms and expand your skill set per your choice and necessity.
What Is Mobile Learning?
Easily Accessible Mobile Learning
Mobile learning, or m-Learning, is an online learning facility that learners can benefit from anywhere and anytime by using their mobile devices. It does not require additional components or changes to a regular smartphone or tablet. Students can enroll in course programs, study assigned lessons, watch video lectures, attend live classes, and take tests/exams from their devices with location and schedule conditions. It is similar to e-learning, but a major difference is the use of a mobile device for content access.
Key Characteristics of mLearning
The major characteristics of mobile learning that make it effective for training/educating purposes are as follows:
- Microlearning content: Mobile learning often delivers microlearning content that lasts about 2-5 minutes. The crisp and relevant information maintains learners’ attention and bolsters retention.
- Social learning: Mobile learning employs social learning to boost engagement. It can include a newsfeed, forums, chat function, or comments section for learners to interact with one another, ask questions, and share their insights.
- Seamless access: Several mobile-based training solutions have done away with the login process or embedding content directly into the native app to remove friction and increase engagement.
- Privacy: Users get optimal privacy. Nobody can intrude on and check their scores, performance or any details they would not like to share.
Pros of Mobile Learning
- Availability: Learners get easy access to helpful materials whenever they need them.
- Usability: M-learning is task-oriented and practical. It provides valuable information in the form of how-tos, concise guides, step-by-step tutorials, and mini exercises that help put new skills into practice.
- Convenient size: The courses and exercises fit seamlessly into daily schedules.
- Social touch: Learners can connect with their peers or instructors for assistance and discussions. They can leave comments and stay connected as a community.
- Engagement: It creates no burden on the learner. The training and learning process becomes interactive.
- Cost-effective: It is more cost-effective than traditional classroom training. It cuts down the brick and mortar expenses, physical tools, travel expenses to and from the venue, and the in-person trainer salaries. Learners use their personal devices for training, eliminating the cost of tech labs.
Cons of Mobile Learning
- Tech discrepancies: Mobile devices can have varying storage and processing capacities that hinder the mobile learning experience.
- Poor wireless connection: Remote places often have insufficient cell coverage and thus poor internet access.
- Distractions: Mobile notifications and an urge to scroll social media can reduce training effectiveness.
Which Tool to Use for Mobile Learning?
There are various tools for mobile learning concerning different niches, but Simplilearn’s Mobile App can be your one-stop solution for learning digital skills. With 2M+ learners from 150+ countries and 1500 live classes each month, this m-learning tool has had over 85% of learners reporting striking career benefits. It is a complete solution that envelops free courses, role-aligned learning paths, university-partnered programs, and seamless learning in a matter of clicks.
Gear up for an upcoming coding interview and learn the best software development practices with programming courses, including Python, Java, and more. The Cybersecurity certified programs allow you to protect your organization’s infrastructure, mitigate risk and tread on your career as an ethical hacker.
Top Benefits of SkillUp
- You get a chance to boost your career with a cutting-edge curriculum designed to provide you with the skills for today’s top jobs.
- You can learn best practices from leading practitioners in their industries.
- Get hands-on learning experience with real-world data sets in virtual labs.
- Experience easy yet effective learning with boot camp training that provides 8X more interaction in live classes.
- Get mentorship and 24x7 free support.
How Is Mobile Learning Different from eLearning?
The use of mobile devices for content learning is not the only point of difference between mobile learning from eLearning. Mobile learning is not just a smaller portable version of eLearning. Rather it has some strikingly different characteristics. The major differences between the two are as follows:
- Different purposes: While e-learning is more suitable for in-depth fundamental knowledge, mobile learning is ideal for refresher training or systematically acquiring knowledge. Mobile learning increases learning support and diversification. The learners have instant access to small and independent information pieces that they can study on the go.
- Different lesson lengths: Traditional online courses via computers or laptops can vary from 15 to 90 minutes. They are lengthier when compared to mobile learning content. The content developed for mobile devices is broken into smaller chunks, usually 3 to 5 minutes. They are easier for the learners and allow them to learn without disturbing their regular schedule.
- Different output: eLearning doesn’t need special software as it works right in a browser. Contrastingly, m-Learning needs an application of at least two versions: iOS and Android. eLearning courses can be accessed on mobile devices via browsers. Mobile apps are specially curated for mobile devices and cannot be accessed on the web. These apps make the user experience smoother with cameras, audio, barcode scanning, and built-in sensors.
Are you leaving your job to pursue PGDM? Don’t quit before checking the online PGDM course with AICTE and AACSB accreditation from JAGSOM.
Strengthen your foundation to emerge victorious in all spheres. Access the readily available study material and hone your skills with Simplilearn courses. Explore our exclusive programs and find the one that fits your requirements.