In the context of web development and web programming, Model View Controller (MVC) is one of today's most popular trends in software architecture.
The software design pattern is gaining widespread acceptance because it gives programmers a variety of benefits during application development.
This article discusses the top MVC interview questions to help individuals pursue a career in web development. We'll break it down into three sections — MVC interview questions for freshers, MVC interview questions for intermediate jobs, and MVC interview questions for experienced professionals.
The MVC interview questions and answers we're about to discuss will prepare you for your next MVC interview, regardless of the position you are applying for.
MVC Interview Questions for Freshers
1. What is MVC?
MVC is short for Model-View-Controller. An MVC design pattern divides applications into 3 parts - model, view, and controller. In MVC, "model" refers to business logic and the form of data. The "model" stores and maintains application data in databases. "View" is the user interface. The "view" component displays data for users and also allows end-users to modify data. The "controller" element of the MVC handles user requests.
2. Can you list out some controller action return types?
A few distinct return types include:
- Content Result
- JSON Result
- Redirect Result
- View Result
3. What are MVC advantages?
The benefits of Model–View–Controller are:
- Multiple Views: Since the MVC architecture separates the view from the model, the UI (User Interface) is able to display multiple views of the same data simultaneously.
- SoC: SoC or "Separation of Concerns" is a major advantage of the Model–View–Controller framework. The MVC design pattern ensures a clean detachment of the Business Logic, UI, Data, or Model.
- Testing Capability: The MVC pattern offers improved testability of web applications and superior support for test-driven developments.
- Lightweight: The MVC framework does not use the View State, which limits bandwidth.
4. What role do the Control, Presentation, and Abstraction components play in MVC?
- Abstraction: Abstraction is related to the functionality of a business domain in an application.
- Presentation: In MVC, presentation refers to the visual representation of a particular abstraction within an application.
- Control: The control component maintains consistency between intra-system abstraction and its presentation to users. It also interacts with other system controls.
5. How do you maintain an MVC session?
There are three ways to maintain the session, which include the view bag, temp data, and view data.
6. Can you explain what Spring MVC is?
Spring MVC is a framework based on Java, used to develop web applications. It implements the core functionalities of the Spring Framework, such as dependency implementation and IoC (Inversion of Control). Spring MVC offers a sophisticated solution for applying the MVC pattern to the Java-based Spring Framework, using DispatcherServlet. The DispatcherServlet accepts incoming requests and maps them to the relevant resource in the Model, View, and Controller.
7.What exactly is ASP.NET MVC?
A lightweight web architecture based on the MVC framework, ASP.NET MVC enables test-driven development (TDD) of dynamic web apps.
8. What are the logical layers in the MVC pattern?
The MVC design theme uses three logical layers to define web applications, which include the controller logic (input control), the view logic (display layer), and the model logic (business layer).
9. What are the steps that the MVC life cycle follows?
Mentioned below are the MVC life cycle steps:
- Application initialization
- Instantiation and execution of the controller
- Locating and invoking controller action
- Instantiating and rendering view
MVC Interview Questions for Intermediate Job Positions
10. What is the Default Route concept in MVC?
MVC default route contains only one route with the name "Default". It maps the 1st segment of URL to controller name, 2nd segment of URL to controller action, the 3rd segment of URL to a parameter named as "id".
11. What are POST and GET Action types?
The GET action is used for requesting data from specified resources.
The POST action is used for submitting data to specified resources for processing.
12. What are the advantages of "Areas" in MVC?
The benefits of MVC "Areas" are:
Areas in MVC enable developers to organize controllers, models, and views into different functional sections, such as customer support, administration, and billing. It also allows for easy unit testing.
13. What methods should you use to add constraints to the route?
There are two ways to add constraints, which include:
- Applying regular expressions
- Implementing the IRouteConstraint Interface
14. What is Web API?
WebAPI is a development concept in which the programming interface can be either Browser API or Server API. The Browser API extends the functionalities of web browsers, while the Server API extends the functionalities of web servers.
MVC Interview Questions for Experienced Professionals
15. What is Authentication in MVC?
Authentication is the process of providing users with access to services by verifying their identity using credentials such as usernames, email addresses, and passwords. This ensures that only authorized users are logged in or signed in for services based on user-specific roles.
16. What is the Non Action method in MVC?
MVC treats all the public methods as "Actions". If developers are creating methods that they do not wish to use as Actions, then they need to decorate such methods with the "Non-Action" attribute.
17. What are Code Blocks?
In contrast to code expressions, which are just evaluated and submitted in the response, code blocks are blocks of codes that are executed. Code blocks are helpful for declaring the variables that may be needed later.
18. What is Html.Partial?
In MVC, the Html.Partial method is applied for rendering a specific partial view in the form of a HTML string. This methodology does not rely on Action Methods.
19. What is glimpse in MVC?
A NuGet package, Glimpse helps find diagnostic, performance, and debugging information. Glimpse enables developers to receive information on the environment, routes, model binding, and timelines.
20. How to navigate between Views using hyperlink?
Navigation between MVC Views is possible via the ActionLink approach. The code <%= Html.ActionLink("Home", "Gotohome") %> creates a URL that invokes Gotohome action and helps navigate to "Home" controller.
Hope you will find the above mvc interview questions and answers useful. However, to be honest, knowing the answers to interview questions will not help you secure a job. You need certification from a well-known institution such as Simplilearn to advance your career as a web developer.
Simplilearn's Full Stack Web Development Post Graduate Program, in collaboration with Caltech CTME, will make you job-ready within 9 months.
The course teaches you 30+ in-demand skills through 250+ hours of Blended-Learning and offers you the opportunity to be part of 5 phase-end projects, 20 lesson-end projects, and a capstone experience in four domains. Apply for a Caltech CTME Post Graduate Certification now.