Cloud computing architecture is simple; it clearly states the components and subcomponents embedded in it There’s no question that cloud computing is here to stay. It touches every part of our lives today, offering many advantages in terms of flexibility, storage, sharing, maintenance, and much more.
A standard internet connection or a virtual network provides us access to cloud-based applications and services like Google Docs, Skype, and Netflix. Most companies are shifting their businesses into the cloud as they require significant storage, which cloud platforms provide. A cloud computing architecture provides higher bandwidth to its users due to which data over the cloud can be used from anywhere across the world at any time. Due to its architecture, it not only shares resources among client source consumers but also with open source communities like Microsoft and Red hat.
But how exactly does cloud computing work? In our guide, we explain everything there is to know about cloud computing architecture.
What is Cloud Computing?
Cloud computing refers to services like storage, databases, software, analytics, and other platforms that are accessible via the internet. It is any service that can be delivered without being physically close to the hardware. For example, Netflix uses cloud computing for its video streaming services. Another example is G Suite, which runs entirely on the cloud.
Simply put, Cloud Computing refers to the delivery of on-demand resources (such as a server, database, software, etc.) over the internet. It also gives the ability to build, design, and manage applications on the cloud platform.
Note: Companies offering these computing services are referred to as cloud providers.
Cloud Computing Service Providers
A few of the most popular cloud computing service providers include:
- Microsoft Azure
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Google Cloud
- Alibaba Cloud
- IBM Cloud
- Rackspace Cloud
Now, that we know the basics of cloud computing, let’s move on and learn about cloud computing architecture.
Cloud Computing Architecture
Cloud Computing Architecture is divided into two parts, i.e., front-end and back-end. Front-end and back-end communicate via a network or internet. A diagrammatic representation of cloud computing architecture is shown below:
Cloud Computing Architecture
- It provides applications and the interfaces that are required for the cloud-based service.
- It consists of client’s side applications, which are web browsers such as Google Chrome and Internet Explorer.
- Cloud infrastructure is the only component of the front-end. Let's understand it in detail.
Front-end - Cloud Computing Architecture
- Cloud infrastructure consists of hardware and software components such as data storage, server, virtualization software, etc.
- It also provides a Graphical User Interface to the end-users to perform respective tasks.
Moving ahead, let’s understand what the back-end is.
It is responsible for monitoring all the programs that run the application on the front-end
It has a large number of data storage systems and servers. The back-end is an important and huge part of the whole cloud computing architecture, as shown below:
Back-end - Cloud Computing Architecture
The components of the back-end cloud architecture are mentioned below. Let's understand them in detail one by one.
- It can either be a software or a platform
- Depending upon the client requirement, the application provides the result to the end-user (with resources) in the back end
- Service is an essential component in cloud architecture
- Its responsibility is to provide utility in the architecture
- In a Cloud, few widely used services among the end-users are storage application development environments and web services
- It stores and maintains data like files, videos, documents, etc. over the internet
- Some of the popular examples of storage services are below:
- Amazon S3
- Oracle Cloud-Storage
- Microsoft Azure Storage
- Its capacity varies depending upon the service providers available in the market
- Its task is to allot specific resources to a specific task, it simultaneously performs various functions of the cloud environment
- It helps in the management of components like application, task, service, security, data storage, and cloud infrastructure
- In simple terms, it establishes coordination among the cloud resources
- Security is an integral part of back-end cloud infrastructure
- It provides secure cloud resources, systems, files, and infrastructure to end-users
- Also, it implements security management to the cloud server with virtual firewalls which results in preventing data loss
Now, that we know the architecture of cloud computing, let’s move on and learn about the benefits of the architecture.
Benefits of Cloud Computing Architecture
The cloud computing architecture is designed in such a way that:
- It solves latency issues and improves data processing requirements
- It reduces IT operating costs and gives good accessibility to access data and digital tools
- It helps businesses to easily scale up and scale down their cloud resources
- It has a flexibility feature which gives businesses a competitive advantage
- It results in better disaster recovery and provides high security
- It automatically updates its services
- It encourages remote working and promotes team collaboration
Going ahead, let’s have a look at the components of cloud computing architecture.
Cloud Computing Architecture Components
Some of the important components of Cloud Computing architecture that we will be looking into are as follows:
- Management Software
- Deployment Software
- Cloud Server
- Cloud Storage
Components of Cloud architecture
- It is a virtual machine monitor which provides Virtual Operating Platforms to every user
- It also manages guest operating systems in the cloud
- It runs a separate virtual machine on the back end which consists of software and hardware
- Its main objective is to divide and allocate resources
- Its responsibility is to manage and monitor cloud operations with various strategies to increase the performance of the cloud
- Some of the operations performed by the management software are:
- compliance auditing
- management of overseeing disaster
- contingency plans
- It consists of all the mandatory installations and configurations required to run a cloud service
- Every deployment of cloud services are performed using a deployment software
- The three different models which can be deployed are the following:
- SaaS - Software as a service hosts and manages applications of the end-user.
- PaaS - Platform as a service helps developers to build, create, and manage applications.
Example: Microsoft Azure
- IaaS - Infrastructure as a service provides services on a pay-as-you-go pricing model.
- It connects the front-end and back-end. Also, allows every user to access cloud resources
- It helps users to connect and customize the route and protocol
- It is a virtual server which is hosted on the cloud computing platform
- It is highly flexible, secure, and cost-effective
- Here, every bit of data is stored and accessed by a user from anywhere over the internet
- It is scalable at run-time and is automatically accessed
- Data can be modified and retrieved from cloud storage over the web
Choose The Right Cloud Computing Program
This table compares various cloud computing programs offered by Simplilearn, based on several key features and details. The table provides an overview of the Cloud Computing Courses' duration, skills you will learn, additional benefits, among other important factors, to help you make an informed decision about which course best suits your needs.
Program Name AWS Solutions Architect Cloud Architect Masters Program Caltech Cloud Computing Bootcamp Geo All All US University Simplilearn Simplilearn Caltech Course Duration Self Paced 11 Months 6 Months Coding Experience Required Basic Knowledge Basic Knowledge Basic Knowledge Skills You Will Learn 10+ Skills Including AWS Solution Planning, AWS Cost Estimation, AWS Data IO, etc. 30+ Skills Including EC2, ECS, Lambda, CloudFormation, ELB, etc. 10+ Skills Including Application Migration, Autoscaling, MultiCloud Deployment, etc. Additional Benefits 16+ Live Demos of AWS Services
Real-Time Industry Projects
Exam Voucher Included
Caltech's Academic Excellence
Live Classes by Experts
Cost $ $$ $$$$ Explore Program Explore Program Explore Program
Cloud computing architecture gives an environment where organizations can securely build applications and use cloud services based on the client requirement. So, with this, we got a complete run-down on what Cloud Computing Architecture is. In this article, we learned what cloud computing is, the benefits of Cloud Computing architecture, the architecture of cloud computing, and components of cloud computing architecture.
So now, addressing the elephant in the room, how can Simplilearn help you?
Even a Cloud Architect who wants to understand Amazon Web Services in-depth can enroll in our Simplilearn Cloud Architect Master's program. It is custom-made to help in the mastering of AWS Cloud Architect techniques and strategies.
Do you have any questions? Please feel free to put it in the comments section of this article; our experts will get back to you at the earliest.