AWS needs no formal introduction, given its immense popularity. The leading cloud provider in the marketplace is Amazon Web Services. It provides over 170 AWS services to the developers so they can access them from anywhere at the time of need.
AWS has customers in over 190 countries worldwide, including 5000 ed-tech institutions and 2000 government organizations. Many companies like ESPN, Adobe, Twitter, Netflix, Facebook, BBC, etc., use AWS services.
For example, Adobe creates and updates software without depending upon the IT teams. It uses its services by offering multi-terabyte operating environments for its clients. By deploying its services with Amazon services, Adobe integrated and operated its software in a simple manner.
Now, before getting started with what is AWS, let us first give you a brief description of what cloud computing is.
What is Cloud Computing?
Cloud computing is the delivery of online services (such as servers, databases, software) to users. With the help of cloud computing, storing data on local machines is not required. It helps you access data from a remote server. Moreover, it is also used to store and access data from anywhere across the world.
Looking forward to enhancing your cloud computing skills? Enroll in our Cloud Computing Bootcamp today and take your career to new heights
What is AWS?
Amazon web service is an online platform that provides scalable and cost-effective cloud computing solutions.
AWS is a broadly adopted cloud platform that offers several on-demand operations like compute power, database storage, content delivery, etc., to help corporates scale and grow.
How Does it Work?
That was all about what is AWS. Next, let’s have a look at the history.
History of AWS
- In the year 2002 - AWS services were launched
- In the year 2006- AWS cloud products were launched
- In the year 2012 - AWS had its first customer event
- In the year 2015- AWS achieved $4.6 billion
- In the year 2016- Surpassed the $10 billion revenue target
- In the year 2016- AWS snowball and AWS snowmobile were launched
- In the year 2019- Released approximately 100 cloud services
Moving forward, we will learn more about AWS services.
Applications of AWS
AWS enables businesses to build a number of sophisticated applications. Organizations of every industry and of every size, can run every imaginable use case on AWS. Here are some of the most common applications of AWS:-
1. Storage and Backup
One of the reasons why many businesses use AWS is because it offers multiple types of storage to choose from and is easily accessible as well. It can be used for storage and file indexing as well as to run critical business applications.
Businesses can host their websites on the AWS cloud, similar to other web applications.
There is a lot of computing power needed to run gaming applications. AWS makes it easier to provide the best online gaming experience to gamers across the world.
4. Mobile, Web and Social Applications
A feature that separates AWS from other cloud services is its capability to launch and scale mobile, e-commerce, and SaaS applications. API-driven code on AWS can enable companies to build uncompromisingly scalable applications without requiring any OS and other systems.
Companies using AWS
Whether it’s technology giants, startups, government, food manufacturers or retail organizations, there are so many companies across the world using AWS to develop, deploy and host applications. According to Amazon, the number of active AWS users exceeds 1,000,000. Here is a list of companies using AWS:
- Johnson & Johnson
- Capital One
Advantages of AWS Services
The power of AWS services lies in the fact that it enables businesses to reach the marketplaces with little initial investment. Here are some advantages of AWS services:
There is a false misconception that data stored in a public cloud is not secure. On the contrary, not only does AWS offer security tools that are cheaper than other alternatives, but it is one of the most secure, extensive, and reliable cloud platforms.
2. Global Availability
AWS has 80 Availability Zones across 25 geographic regions global data centers.
2. Scalability and Flexibility
AWS offers unlimited flexibility and scalability on demand. This enables organizations to plan their infrastructure roadmap on a subscription basis without full commitment.
3. Little Investment
AWS cloud services enable companies to save expenditures on extra software and hardware. There is no physical data required, which ultimately lowers down operating costs.
Now, that we have understood what is AWS, advantages and application, let us know the AWS services.
Amazon has many services for cloud applications. Let us list down a few key services of the AWS ecosystem and a brief description of how developers use them in their business.
Amazon has a list of services:
- Compute service
- Networking and delivery of content
- Security tools
- Developer tools
- Management tools
These services help developers build, deploy, and scale an application in the cloud platform.
- It is a web service that allows developers to rent virtual machines and automatically scales the compute capacity when required.
- It offers various instance types to developers so that they can choose required resources such as CPU, memory, storage, and networking capacity based on their application requirements.
- It is a serverless compute service. It is also responsible for executing code for applications.
- It helps you execute a program without the hassle of managing servers.
AWS provides web data storage service for archiving data. Also, its primary advantage is disaster data recovery with high durability.
- It is an open cloud-based storage service that is utilized for online data backup.
- Amazon S3 provides storage through a web services interface and is designed for developers where web-scale computing can be easier for them. Click here, to know more.
- It provides a high availability storage volume for persistent data. It is mainly used by Amazon EC2 instances.
- EBS volumes are used explicitly for primary storage such as file storage, databases storage, and block-level storage.
As one of the top three cloud providers available, there are plenty of career opportunities related to GCP. Simplilearn’s Google cloud certification provides you with the foundation you will need to start or enhance your current career working with this comprehensive cloud platform. Get started today!
AWS database domain service offers cost-efficient, highly secure, and scalable database instances in the cloud.
- It is a flexible NoSQL database service that offers fast and reliable performance with no scalability issues.
- It is a multi-region and durable database with instant built-in security, backup and restores features.
- It is a managed distributed relational database cloud service that helps developers to operate and scale a database in a simple manner.
- We launched it to simplify the setup, operation, and scaling process for developers while accessing a relational database.
Do you wish to become a cloud expert? Gain the right skills with our Cloud Computing Training and excel in your career, starting today!
Networking and Delivery of Content
It offers a highly secure cloud platform and connects your physical network to your private VN with a high transfer speed.
- It helps a developer to deploy AWS resources, such as Amazon EC2 instances into a private virtual cloud.
- It gives you control over the complete cloud network environment, including the section of your IP address range, subnets, route table configuration, and network gateways.
- With this, developers can both IPv4 and IPv6 at a time for your resources in a highly secure environment.
- It is a web service with a highly available Domain Name System (DNS) that helps users to route software by translating the text into an IP address.
- We launched it for developers to provide them a cost-effective method of routing end users to cloud applications.
It helps a user build, deploy, and run an application source code automatically. It also updates the server and instance on the workload.
It is a service designed to manage application development in a single place. Here, developers can quickly develop, build and deploy applications on AWS
- This removes the hassle of managing physical servers and helps developers build and test code with continuous scaling.
- In simple words, it compiles your code, executes unit tests, and gives output artifacts that are ready to deploy.
Security, Identity & Compliance
It helps in monitoring a safe environment for your AWS resources by providing limited access to specific users.
- Identity Access Management is a framework that helps in maintaining access to AWS services in a secure way.
- The service gives you Shared access to your AWS account and Secure access to AWS services that run on the AWS EC2 application.
Note: Click here, to know about IAM.
- It enables users to create and manage the encryption keys that are used for encrypting data.
- The service includes a key generation method where digital sign within your applications becomes easier.
Using this service, an individual can optimize costs, minimize risks, and automate all the resources running efficiently on the AWS infrastructure.
- It is a monitoring tool for AWS resources and customer applications running on the AWS platform.
- The service helps you gather and access all your operational data in the form of logs from a single interface.
- This service helps you in monitoring all your AWS resources in one place so that you can spend minimum time managing those resources and maximum time developing applications.
- It allows developers to manage their cloud infrastructure either in a text file or a template.
With this, we have come to the end of what is AWS article.
Learn about AWS architectural principles and services like IAM, VPC, EC2, EBS and more with the AWS Solutions Architect Course. Register today!
In this introductory tutorial “what is AWS”, we discussed what cloud computing is, what is AWS and its history, and we also went through all the AWS services in detail.
Whether you’re an experienced AWS Architect or you’re aspiring to break into this exciting industry, enrolling in our Cloud Architect Training program will help individuals with all levels of experience master AWS Cloud Architect techniques and strategies.
Do you have any questions for us in the article “What is AWS”? Please feel free to leave them in the comments section of this article; our experts will get back to you as soon as possible.
In case you want to learn more about AWS, I suggest clicking here!