Are you a development or QA professional who wants to crack their next interview? Knowing the most frequently asked JIRA interview questions can help you get there. Here’s a Q/A guide on how to answer JIRA interview questions to ace your upcoming interview.
What Is JIRA?
JIRA is a work management tool developed by the Australian software company, Atlassian. Mainly used for bug and issue tracking as well as project management, JIRA has extensive applications in the software field. While preparing for your JIRA job interview, you need to focus on the important JIRA interview questions and answers. Jira tool interview questions will help you understand the software much better besides enhancing your marketability as a developer or project manager.
Types of JIRA Interview Questions asked
In interviews, it is likely that you’ll be asked questions about your knowledge of JIRA and how you can utilize that knowledge in real-life situations. If you prepare ahead of time and present your answers confidently, you may enjoy an overall easy interview experience. Hiring managers usually ask general questions first to gain insight into who you are as a candidate and your depth of knowledge about JIRA.
Some general questions you may be asked on JIRA include:
- How long have you worked in the industry?
- What is your experience and understanding of JIRA?
- Why are you the ideal candidate for the job?
- What are your biggest achievements using JIRA?
- What do you think differentiates JIRA from other project management tools?
How to Give Answers and Explanation to Jira Tool Interview Question?
Your answers should reflect your overall understanding of the capabilities of JIRA tool. Include adequate explanations to assure interviewers that you have the depth of experience required to effectively navigate and teach the tenets of the JIRA platform to team members. Adopt an organized approach while giving JIRA answers and explanations and try to align your answers in a way that delivers maximum value to the organization. In case you’re unsure of any answer, it’s best to be honest. When answering questions on organizational process, frame your answer to resolve the problem in the most positive way.
Jira Interview Questions for Freshers
1. What is Jira?
JIRA is a software tool that was developed by the software company, Atlassian. It is used mainly for bug and issue tracking and project management. It is the perfect solution for organizing tasks and managing agile teams.
2. Explain the workflow of JIRA.
JIRA Workflow is the series of stages or steps a bug/issue follows during its lifecycle from creation to closing or completion.
The important phases in the workflow are:
- Work in Progress (WIP)
3. What is an issue in JIRA?
An issue can be:
- A Software bug
- The Project Task
- The Form for Leave-request
- A Help-desk Ticket
4. Why is JIRA used? /What are the benefits of using JIRA?
JIRA is used as a project tracking tool with benefits like:
- Ability to track project progress from time to time
- Use cases include project management, bug tracking, feature implementation
- Easily customizable and extensible
- Upfront and fair licensing policy
5. Name some control programs with which JIRA integrates.
Such control programs are CVS, Subversion, Git, ClearCase, Mercurial, Visual SourceSafe, and Perforce
6. Can you access JIRA cloud site via mobile device?
Yes, one can access JIRA cloud site via mobile device by using the URL of cloud site in the mobile web browser.
7. What is the use of JIRA dashboard?
It is the first display we notice upon login to the Jira. The dashboard shows tools and applications that help users to track progress of a project. It also includes important information like user’s activity info, issues assigned, etc. Admin can change the view and items displayed on the dashboard.
8. Name the agile methodologies supported by JIRA.
- Scrum – in this agile methodology, the development team works iteratively to complete a project. Each stint or iteration has certain set scope and timeline. Scrum is best suited for software development.
- Kanban – this method achieves just-in-time delivery by visualizing the workflow and tasks currently in progress. Kanban is best suited for operation teams.
9. What are the issue types in Scrum project?
In JIRA, an individual unit of work is referred to as issue. The types include:
- Story – single feature that needs to be implemented
- Epic – a big user story
- Bug – problem that needs to be fixed
- Task – generic task that is not a bug or story
10. Name some popular add-ons for Jira.
- JIRA Toolkit Plugin
- JIRA Charting Plugin
- Portfolio for JIRA
- Suites utilities for JIRA
- Zephyr for JIRA – Test Management
- ScriptRunner for JIRA
Jira Interview Questions for Experienced
11. Name the report types generated in JIRA.
The JIRA reports that show statistics for projects, people, versions or other fields are of following types:
- Time Tracking Report
- Average Age Report
- Pie Chart Report
- Single Level Group by Report
- Resolution Time Report
- Recently Created Issues Report
- Resolved vs. Created Issues Report
- User Workload Report
- Workload Pie Chart Report
12. What is cloning?
Cloning allows the user to create duplicate of original issue, such that multiple team members can work on a single issue. The clone issue can be linked to original issue, and holds information like:
- Issue Type
13. What are not included in cloned issue?
- Time tracking
- Issue History
14. How can you modify bulk issues?
We use the Bulk Change option from Tools menu and can then select all issues on current page for bulk operations.
Details available after bulk operations:
- Workflow transition
15. What is the “Move Issue” wizard?
The move issue wizard enables users to specify another project in their JIRA instance. The wizard allows changing some attributes of an issue like issue type, status and custom fields.
16. How can you share an issue with others?
We the use the Share option to email an issue in JIRA. A link to the issue can also be mailed to other JIRA users or we can mention them in the issue’s Description or Comment field.
17. How can mail notifications for Bulk Operations be disabled?
Deselect the “Send Notification” checkbox in bulk operation wizard.
18. What is included in issue change history?
- Changes to an issue field
- Attachment of a file
- Deletion of a comment
- Deletion of a work log
- Creation or removal of an issue link
19. Define schemas in JIRA.
Schemas are an important part of JIRA configuration. These are a collection of configured values to be later used by one or more Jira project. There are 7 types of schemas including Notification Schemes, Permission Scheme, Issue Type Scheme, etc.
20. What does JIRA schema consist of?
- Issue Types
- Field Configurations
21. What is JQL?
JQL or JIRA Query Language is an advanced and flexible way of searching issues within JIRA. It consists of a field, value, operator, and keyword.
22. Can you transition an issue back to its previous status in JIRA workflow?
It is not possible generally, but for emergency purposes, we can hold the “On Hold” feature for transition.
23. What is an audit log?
Users can use audit logs to view all details about issues generated, plus changes made to any issue.
24. Is it possible to get back up of JIRA cloud data?
The Backup Manager can be used to take backup of JIRA cloud data, but only one backup file is stored at a time. new backups overwrite the existing ones.
25. What data can be backed up?
- Attachments if selected
- Users and their group settings
26. What role do Validators play?
The validators in JIRA check the validity of an input made to the transition before the transition is performed. If validator fails, the issue will not progress to destination status.
27. What is an event?
An event tells us the status, default template, notification scheme and workflow transition post function associations for the event.
Subjective Jira Interview Questions
28. Explain labelling and linking issues in JIRA
- Labelling issue – enables the user to categorize the raised issue as information, which is later assigned to a component. This issue is found using labels.
- Linking issue – enables the user to link issue(s) that can be associated on same or multiple JIRA servers.
29. What are the three color indicators for time tracking in JIRA?
For a particular issue, three colors are displayed representing the time spent behind the issue.
- Blue (Original Estimate) – the amount of time originally estimated to resolve an issue
- Orange (Remaining Estimate) – time left to resolve an issue
- Green (Time spent or logged) – actual time spent so far in resolving the issue
30. How does a service desk work?
- The client expresses demand for service agents via entryway.
- It identifies demand in their JIRA service desk line and does further assessment of the issue.
- The client can use the entry to discuss the demand with service desk agent
- Finally, the expert completes the task and client demand is fulfilled.
Enroll in our PMP® Certification Course today and develop a strong foundation in the principles of project management.
Hope this list of JIRA interview questions will be helpful for you. Learn more about project management and JIRA with our PMP Certification Training Course.