PHP is the most popular and widely-used server-side scripting language for web development. However, it requires a webserver to run even a locally developed webpage. There are various web server software for setting up our local webserver. Amongst them, PHP XAMPP and WampServer are the most popular. While WampServer is only available for the Windows platform, XAMPP is a cross-platform application that can run on Windows, Linux, and macOS. Hence, in this tutorial, you will learn PHP using XAMPP.
What Is PHP?
PHP (Hypertext Protocol) is Open Source Programming Language used to make web pages. PHP language can run on various platforms and is compatible with almost all servers. PHP files use .php as their extension. PHP can perform functions, like from files on a system it can create, open, read, write, and close them. You can add, delete, and modify elements within your database with the help of PHP. You can restrict users from accessing some pages of your website using PHP. PHP can encrypt data too.
Advantages Of PHP
Web-Developers use many other languages, but most prefer using PHP because of its advantages. Some advantages of PHP are:
- Simple and easy to learn - PHP is known as the easiest Scripting language as it doesn't have intensive studying. Commands are very easy to understand for new learners and developers too.
- Compatible - PHP language is compatible because it can run on many operating systems. It can easily run on platforms like Windows, LINUX, and UNIX.
- Flexibility - PHP language is very flexible for developers because it allows you to change the existing or completed project.
- Less Costly - As PHP is an open-source language, you can download it for free. You don't have to purchase any license or software.
- MVC Pattern - Model-View-Controller Pattern in PHP helps you organize codes.
- Loading Time - PHP is faster than other programming languages. It can be loaded when your network connection is slow.
- Library Support - PHP also has a collection of many, many advanced written codes that you can use repeatedly. And also use it whenever you want to run a program.
How to Set Up and Install PHP for Your Project?
Step 1: Find a web server that supports PHP and MYSQL.
Step 2: Then install PHP from its website.
Step 3: Then install MYSQL DB on your PC.
What is XAMPP?
XAMPP is an open-source web server solution package. It is mainly used for web application testing on a local host webserver.
XAMPP stands for:
X = Cross-platform
A = Apache Server
M = MariaDB
P = PHP
P = Perl
Now that you have a better understanding of the XAMPP software, let us move on to its installation.
Why Do You Need XAMPP?
To run any PHP program, you will need Apache or MYSQL databases, both supported by XAMPP. XAMPP helps you to run your program smoothly.
How to Install XAMPP?
Apache friends developed XAMPP, and it is available for everyone free of cost.
You can download XAMPP through the official website, https://www.apachefriends.org/download.html.
On completing the download of the setup file, begin the installation process and, in the “Select Components” section, select all the required components.
Next, select the directory where you want the software to be installed. It is recommended that you keep the default directory “C:\xampp” and click on “next” to complete the installation.
Now that the installation is complete, let’s move ahead to see how to run a PHP script using the same.
How to Start a New PHP Project in XAMPP?
- Before you run or start writing any program in PHP, you should start Apache and MYSQL.
- After starting both servers, you have to write a program in Notepad.
- After writing it, save that file as "program.php".
- Then copy that file program.php to C:/Program Files/XAMPP/htdocs.
- Open the browser and type http://localhost.
- Now run your code in that browser.
How to Run a PHP Code Using XAMPP?
Before running a PHP script, you must know where to write it.
In the XAMPP directory, there exists a folder called “htdocs”. This is where all the programs for the web pages will be stored.
Now, to run a PHP script:
1. Go to “C:\xampp\htdocs” and inside it, create a folder. Let’s call it “demo”. It’s considered good practice to create a new folder for every project you work on.
2. Inside the demo folder, create a new text file and name it “index.php” and write the following script.
3. Now, to see the script output, open the XAMPP control panel and start Apache to host the local webserver, where our script will be running.
4. Now navigate to your browser and type in “localhost/demo/” in the address bar to view the output.
Congratulations, with this, you have created a PHP file and also executed the program successfully.
This concludes the tutorial. In this “PHP using XAMPP” tutorial, you looked into why you need XAMPP, what XAMPP is, how to install XAMPP, and finally, how to run your first PHP script on it.
Are you planning to take the plunge and do a course on PHP? In that case, Simplilearn’s PHP course would be an excellent choice. The Post Graduate Program in Full Stack Web Development covers all the fundamental and advanced concepts, making your journey towards learning PHP an easy one.
If you have any questions regarding the “PHP using XAMPP” tutorial, please ask away in the comments section of this article, and we’ll have our experts answer them for you.
1. How to run a PHP file in localhost XAMPP?
Create any project, for e.g., <?php
echo 'Hello, this is PHP.'
Then run it at http://localhost.
2. Can we run PHP in XAMPP?
Yes, you can run PHP in XAMPP. First, start the XAMPP server, create a program you want to and run it at http://localhost.
3. How do I run my PHP file?
PHP files are saved in C:/Program Files/XAMPP/htdocs. You have to open it, click on the program, and it will automatically run on localhost.
4. How to run PHP files in phpMyAdmin?
- Login into PHPMyAdmin, then click on the import tab.
- Browse the file with a .sql extension.
- Keep in mind to check and uncheck some options.
- Choose SQL format and click on Go.