What Is Clickbait, Clickbait Examples and Why Is It Significant?
Clickbait is digital content that attracts online visitors and encourages viewers to click on the content you’ve linked to your web presence and brand.
Some clickbait examples we’ll examine below are article headlines and relevant pictures. But before we move on, it’s important to understand that clickbait is not just about getting clicks — it’s also about getting the right clicks to drive traffic to your site or platform.
Clickbait gives you the opportunity to get your business in front of more viewers and can even turn into potential leads. Analytics tracking enables you to measure the success of your clickbait campaigns, giving you the ability to see what content and strategies are bringing people in. Use the insights to turn warm leads into loyal customers by continuing to provide them valuable information about your company’s products or services.
Now, before discussing some of the best Clickbait Examples we will first have a look at the best tips for an effective clickbait implementation on marketing.
Tips for Effective Clickbait
Blog posts and articles are one of the most popular forms of content in the digital world today.
The title you choose is huge — it introduces readers to what information they’re about to consume. 90 percent of the traffic your articles draw will be because of the headline — not the content that follows.
Here are several tips for creating good clickbait:
Your title needs to stay authentic and consistent with the content. If your headline is entirely different from the content that follows, you could be turning away potential leads who will quickly move on to another website. Having someone pop over to your page just to back up and go elsewhere is a step in the wrong direction.
Don’t Be Misleading
A user clicking away from your page and returning from whence they came is factored into your website’s bounce rate, which can potentially have a negative impact on your SEO efforts. Search engines are looking for factual, valuable content – not something that’s misleading.
Pique the Interest of the Reader
People are most likely to click on one of the highest search results or listings they see. This could be an ad, organic search listings, or something else. It’s crucial for your clickbait title to pique interest as the user combs through the results.
Keep your titles brief. You should be able to draw your audience in no more than 10 to 15 words.
Use a number as insight to share a quick rundown of your quantitative content. Phrases like “X reasons why…” are responsible for driving the most clicks.
Ask a Question
Ask a question that creates intrigue to bring people to your page. Curiosity often baits people into clicking, and this is where the term “clickbait” comes from! We live in a fast-paced world, so ensure your headline is catchy enough to stop a reader in their tracks.
Still not convinced that your title is your greatest asset?
Here’s one more reason why: You can bet your competition has a strategy in place for the titles of their content. How you write your content and clickbait headlines will help you stand apart from the rest.
5 Clickbait Examples That Work
Some of the best clickbait examples are:
1. Images and Videos
Some of the best clickbait examples are:It’s no surprise that with all the content swirling around the internet, consumers are distracted. Still, images and videos are a top clickbait example that grab the attention of your audience.
The days of clipart are long gone. Today, there’s an ample amount of digital content and resources literally at our fingertips.
- Be as unique as possible with clickbait images that you post instead of grabbing the latest stock photo that others are using.
- Use an image at the top of your article to draw the eyes in. An enticing image or video clip will hold someone’s attention much longer than the written word. Who wants to see just a wall of words anyway?
- Ask yourself questions as you select your clickbait photo. Is it relevant to the content? What’s the emotional appeal? What message am I trying to send? Does it add value?”
Link within an article or post, but in moderation. Linking is not limited to text either.
- Link images and text within your posts for a greater clickbait strategy.
- Include links that bring you to other articles you’ve written.
- Refer readers to resources to demonstrate you’re a trustworthy brand in your field.
3. CTA Buttons and Links
A call-to-action (CTA) prompt like a cleverly placed button or link is an easy form of clickbait. Once you understand the ins and outs of CTAs, you’ll be able to spot them everywhere and be inspired to create your own.
- Clickbait example 1: A button that says, “Check out the marketing infographic.”
- Clickbait example 2: A link within an article that points to another relevant article.
- Clickbait example 3: A linked phone number or email address.
All examples lead your viewer to take an active role in your marketing strategy by clicking on those buttons or links.
4. Material Downloads
Similar to linking, another clickbait example and CTA strategy is encouraging users to download something.
- A material download could be an asset like an eBook that provides additional information and value to consumers.
- Other material downloads could be fact sheets, charts, digital pamphlets, and so on.
5. Pop-Ups or Placed Advertising
This clickbait example is frequently used to keep visitors from leaving the website.
- Many times, when you click onto a webpage, you’ll be served a pop-up either immediately or when you attempt to leave. A clickbait example like this is common for store sales and promotions (e.g., save 10 percent on your order by subscribing to our newsletter).
- Another reason pop-ups are so prevalent is because they can easily keep users on your page. As you move your mouse cursor, a pop-up window may be displayed. This clickbait redirects you to another page with different content.
- PPC, or pay-per-click, places your company at the top of search engine results or smack dab in the middle of social media feeds. If it’s relevant to the consumer’s interests, they’re more likely to click on it.
These were the best clickbait examples that could work like wonders for you.
Interested to know more about social media marketing strategies? Then check out the Advanced Social Media Marketing Course. Enroll now.
Become an Expert in Clickbait and Social Media
Learning how to use clickbait to attract customers and best represent your company is easy with a self-paced, affordable online program like Simplilearn’s Advanced Social Media Certification Training.
The course provides critical information for beginner and intermediate social media marketers, and teaches you how to design ads, schedule and manage your channels, and understand web analytics so you can keep posting content your audience loves. Set yourself up for success by learning with Simplilearn!