At this point in time, it's clear to anyone even remotely paying attention that Google is by far the most widely-used search engine today. That popularity means a lot of views, which means a large audience primed to get exposed to advertising. After all, any business that wants better visibility needs to direct its resources to where the eyeballs are.
That's why today, we are looking at Google Ads specialists. This article explores what a Google Ads specialist is, what they do, how to become one, where they can get hired and how much they can expect to make, and other exciting tidbits.
Let’s start with the basics: what’s a Google Ads specialist?
What is a Google Ads Specialist?
The answer is exactly what you'd expect. A Google Ads specialist is defined as a professional who plans, arranges, and manages campaigns in Google Ads. For example, these specialists might be focused on helping people advertise their business on the site. Or they might be a jack of all trades who supports advertisements and other online marketing-related needs such as websites, landing pages, and email campaigns, to name a few.
Some Google Ads specialists focus on one aspect of online advertising (videos, search engine optimization, organized campaigns). Still, every competent Google Ads specialist should have a solid grasp of certain advertising basics.
Wait, What’s Google Ads?
Let's take a moment and explain what exactly Google Ads is. Google Ads is an advertising platform that helps businesses advertise their services and products via Google and its associated web properties.
Advertisements work on a pay-per-click (PPC) model; that means businesses pay for each click their ads receive. The advertisements operate on an auction model, where different companies bid to show their ads to particular users. Google then processes the bids and other factors in real-time to decide which will show.
What Do Google Ads Specialists do?
Google Ads specialists are versatile professionals who could be called on to fulfill various tasks or projects. Here's a list of tasks that the typical Google Ads specialist carries out.
In terms of managing a Google Ads Account, a Google Ads Specialist performs a range of tasks, including:
- Monitoring current Google Ads performance: First, a Google Ads Specialist needs to evaluate how the ads perform to determine what is working and what is not working. They check several metrics including: impressions, clicks, conversions, conversion rate, cost, and click-through rate.
- Review the results of Google Ads targeting: Targeting is critical to online advertising because it helps focus ad delivery to the appropriate customers or prospects. These options include location and device targeting for campaigns, demographics, in-market, and remarketing audiences.
- Launch a new online campaign: Google Ads specialists periodically must review existing keywords and research new keywords. When the latter dovetail with advertising objectives, the specialists create and launch new ad campaigns or groups. In addition, Google Ads specialists might be asked to create an entire campaign, including different types such as display, video, and shopping.
- Optimizing campaigns: Google Ads specialists must manage and optimize campaigns to secure the best results.
- Offer recommendations: Google Ads specialists don’t just manage campaigns and ads. They also can guide on improving landing pages and website performance. This responsibility is essential for campaigns that drive conversions, as many conversions occur on a company's website.
- Reporting: A Google Ads Specialist must monitor campaigns and share the appropriate performance reports. These reports might be generated weekly or monthly, depending on the campaign and the account’s unique needs. These reports help clients compare campaign performance against their set KPIs and objectives.
But wait, there’s more! Google Ads Specialists are also called on to perform these tasks every day:
- Creating and testing new variations in advertising
- Comparing campaign performance against the campaigns of their main competitors
- Choosing the best bid adjustments to maximize campaign performance
- Generating appropriate ad extensions
- Initiating changes to boost account performance
- Managing bidding strategies and adjusting the campaign settings
- Selecting keyword match types and reviewing search queries
How to Become a Google Ads Specialist
So you’ve decided you want a career as a Google Ads specialist. Here are the steps you must take to achieve your goal.
1. Learn How Google Ads Functions
The best way to learn how Google Ads works is to take a Google Ads course. As we’ve already seen, Google Ads specialists have many responsibilities, so you must become well acquainted with how it works.
2. Get Acquainted With the Google Ads Certification Process
Certification shows your clients or associates that you have the necessary skills and experience to do the job. You will have to pass the Google Ads exam to earn certification. Google’s Skillshop platform offers official certifications.
3. Pick Your Google Ads Certification
There are many different certifications available. You should choose one (or more). These certifications verify your knowledge in the respective field.
- Google Ads Search Certification: How to build and optimize search campaigns.
- Google Ads Apps Certification: How to use app campaigns to meet various marketing objectives.
- Google Ads Measurement Certification: How to use Google’s reporting tools to measure and optimize campaigns.
- Google Ads Video Certification: How to drive results from your video campaigns.
- Google Shopping Ads Certification: How to set up Google Merchant Center and optimize shopping campaigns.
- Google Display Ads Certification: How display ads work and how to employ them in a campaign.
4. Prepare for the Google Ads Exam
Simplilearn’s Advanced Pay Per Click (PPC) Certification training helps learners prepare for the Google Ads exam, an dmuch more!
5. Get Your Google Ads Certification
You’ve prepared for the exam; now it’s time to take it! Skillshop offers the exams, and you can take them anywhere for free. The exam consists of true/false and multiple-choice questions. You must score at least 80 percent to earn a passing grade, but only a 70 percent for Google Ads App certification.
6. Apply Your Skills
Congratulations, you’ve passed the exam and are now certified! Now it’s time to put your skills to work. Consider an entry-level position as a Google Ads specialist or taking on freelance clients.
7. Stay Informed of Subsequent Google Ads Changes
Technology never stops growing and changing. Keep abreast of new developments through different professional websites.
8. Renew Your Certification When Needed
Certification remains in effect for one year. If you want to renew, you must retake the exam.
9. Consider Blogging About Google Ads
Blogs are an effective way to show people your knowledge and skills. Consider starting a blog about Google Ads. Don’t forget to create a link to it on your resume or online profiles.
10. Create Your Portfolio and Collect Customer Reviews and Testimonials
Prospective clients will most likely want to see your past work. Keep a “scrapbook” of your past work and collect client feedback.
Where Can Google Ads Specialists Find Work?
Google Ad specialists have a good range of available work opportunities.
- Agencies: Any good marketing agency includes Google Ads specialists on its roster. These positions are typically entry-level or mid-range and report to an account manager.
- Freelance: Do you want to be your own boss? Freelancers work directly with clients. Naturally, the freelance route is a bit more challenging than working for a company, as you must do all the work, including forging connections and contacts.
- In-house Specialists: Many companies that do their in-house advertising hire Google Ads specialists. These hires typically work with the organization’s marketing department.
Is It Worth Becoming a Google Ads Expert?
The short answer? Yes. Yes, it is.
The long answer? It’s definitely worth becoming a Google Ads expert if your career focuses on digital marketing or other related positions. A Google Ads expert understands the platform’s inner workings and how to use that knowledge to structure a successful campaign. You can then employ these insights to provide the maximum results for your clients.
What is a Google Partner, and is It Important?
A Google Partner means that an organization is known for maximizing campaign success for their clients, driving client growth by maintaining clients’ campaigns and employing certifications to demonstrate Google Ads skills and expertise. In addition, Google Partners get access to a broader range of benefits, such as displaying the Google Partners badge on their websites and marketing materials.
Additionally, Google partners get increased access to technical and Google Ads support, educational resources, and assorted rewards.
Do you want to master all the Digital Marketing tools? Then you must enroll in our exclusive Digital Marketing Specialist course!
Do You Want to Acquire Valuable Digital Marketing Skills?
If you’re now at the point where you’re excited about becoming a digital marketing professional, Simplilearn has the necessary resources to give you the vital skills needed for success. Simplilearn’s Digital Marketing Specialist Master’s program turns you into a digital market specialist in pay-per-click, conversion optimization, digital analytics, content, SEO, social media, mobile, and e-mail marketing.
This course gives you a comprehensive understanding and advanced knowledge of the eight most important digital marketing domains. It includes real-world projects designed to provide you with the domain experience you need to become industry ready. The course employs 30 digital marketing tools, extensive project experience, and a digital marketing capstone project to prepare for your new job.
According to Glassdoor, digital marketing specialists in the United States can potentially earn a yearly average of $85,683. If you gain at least five years’ worth of experience in a digital marketing position, you could earn $100,108 annually.
So, don’t delay. Check out Simplilearn today and start your digital marketing career in the right direction!