Spend $1 and earn $2 in revenue. Google Ads (formerly Google AdWords) is one of the best tools for advertising online. It provides its users with a great way to present their website before the consumers. Google Ads Campaigns enable product and service promotion on Google's vast network of search results, videos, websites, mobile apps, shopping listings, maps, and more.
It is for the website owners to choose a campaign type wisely based on their brand strategy, advertising objective, and investment budgets. Different campaign types have their own set of ads and targets. While search campaigns allow the placement of text ads on search results, a video campaign facilitates the advertisement of video ads on YouTube.
Steps to Create a Google Ads Campaign
Before setting up Google Ads Campaigns, it is vital to ensure:
- Whether your target audience searches for the products on Google, use a keyword research tool and check search volumes.
- Is the person searching the keywords likely to buy your product or service?
- Determine whether you will be able to afford advertising on the keyword.
- Perform competitor analysis to discover what works for your competitors.
Once you get a clear picture of your target audience and keywords, follow the steps given below to create Google Ads Campaigns as per your preferences:
1. Visit the Google Ads Website
Go to the Google Ads website and click on the "Start Now" option. Sign up and follow the on-screen steps to create a Google Ads account.
Google AdWords Homepage
- Click the "Create your first campaign" button after successfully creating your account.
2. Name your Campaign and Choose its Type
You can choose from the various types of campaigns that determine the online places where your customers would find your ads. The types are:
- Search: Text ads on search results
- Video: Video ads on YouTube
- Local: Promote your locations on many channels
- Display: Image ads on websites
- Shopping: Product listings on Google
- App: Promote your app on many channels
- Discovery: Advertise within online feeds
- Smart: Simplify your campaigns
Select the campaign type. If you have set a goal, you will be given the most suitable options of the campaign types to attain your goals. You can also choose a subtype for your campaign. Clicking the continue button will take you to a new page for selecting the settings.
You can set up ad groups and create your ads. Check out the messages that guide you on customizing certain settings that otherwise prevent your ads from running. Fix the issues before publishing your campaign.
Give a proper name to your ad campaign. The name should be relevant to the product or service you are advertising.
3. Select the Location for Ad Display
An advertiser can choose a large or small area for the location of an ad display. It can be an entire country or a city. You can also target a specific area by using latitude-longitude coordinates.
Prior knowledge of the locations of your ideal customer is crucial for this step. For instance, local business owners will target people around their area. Those selling products to customers throughout the US will choose the United States. Contrastingly, international business owners will have to set up several campaigns for various countries with high sales or where most of the consumers reside.
4. Set the Daily Budget
Beginners are suggested to set a low daily budget until they become proficient Google Ads users. So, begin on a low pitch, gather data and then expand into whatever works for your Google Ads campaigns. Often Google can go slightly over your daily budget, so it is crucial to monitor your campaigns and adjust your budget weekly.
You must also set your payment option from the two available alternatives:
- Manual payments allow you to make a payment before your ad appears online.
- Automatic payments enable you to link your account to your bank or credit card so that money is drawn automatically.
- Monthly invoicing is Google's option that provides credit lines to qualifying business owners.
5. Include Keywords
Although there is an inclination to add as many relevant keywords as possible, it is better to include the ones that are absolutely essential so that the people searching the keyword are hunting for exactly what you offer. The number of these keywords would be less, allowing you to be more specific.
6. Create an Ad and Set Landing Pages
It is essential to include your target keyword in one of the two headlines of your Google ad so that it drives consumers and makes them click on your website link. This keyword must be the one you suppose the customers would type in Google's search bar.
Follow the steps to create a search ad:
- Enter the final URL: The page you want your visitors to land on when clicking on the ad.
- Write 1-3 headlines that appear in the blue text right above your ad.
- Create a short description of up to two lines or 90 characters to describe your service product and convince them of its relevance. Focus on your product's key benefits, describe your special offers, and conclude with a strong call to action.
- Adding tracking parameters to your URL allows you to understand where the traffic is coming from— mobile devices, desktops, or others.
- Click on the Done tab to finish creating an ad.
- The new button allows you to add more ads to your ad group.
- Click on save and continue.
Note: Always direct people to a landing page that specifically matches your ad. If the ad advertises a special deal, then send the people to a landing page that is highly targeted for the deal offer rather than directing them to the homepage.
Set- up Conversion Tracking
Lastly, set up appropriate conversion tracking for your business. Google provides the following options for conversion tracking:
- Webform leads such as quote requests
- E-commerce orders like the ones from your online shopping carts
- Calls from ads like phone calls from a contact number given in your ad
- Calls from the website, like phone calls from the number available on your website
- Imports from sales occurring off of the internet
8. Check the Review Page and Publish your Ads Campaign
The review page lists issues that can limit your campaign performance. Check out the alerts and fix them. Some commonly occurring issues are:
- Billing issues
- Invalid final URL
- Missing keywords or ads
Click on the fix button to resolve the issues. Once you have set all the appropriate conversion tracking options and fixed issues, publish your ad.
Tip: Connect your account to Google Analytics to get more insights into how people interact with your advertisements. While Google Ads Campaigns reveal details about the number of people who click on your ads, integrating Google Analytics and Google Ads allows you to keep an eye on what the visitors do once they land on your website.
Become a millennial Digital Marketer in just 6 months. Enroll now for our PGP in Digital Marketing course in collaboration with Purdue University!
A successful Google Ads Campaign allows you to dive into the comprehensive system, learn what specifically works for your campaigns, and advertise your business better. To uplevel your skillset and stay ahead of competitors, enroll on Simplilearn's Post Graduation Program in Digital Marketing. Learn from the industry experts and propel your business.