Every brand needs to sell its services and products online in the current internet-dominated world. They hire experts to make a website, but in most cases, they cannot get maximum benefits from their online presence. Building an organic presence and generating genuine traffic can help brands reach a wide range of potential customers. Keyword research and planning is an essential step towards achieving the same. The Google keyword planner tool will come in handy to find the right keyword for various web pages and boost organic traffic.
What Is Google Keyword Planner?
When it comes to finding new keyword ideas and blog post themes, the Google keyword planner tool is an invaluable resource. However, if a user is new to the tool, it cannot be easy to figure out how to utilize it.
How to Use Google Keyword Planner?
Follow the steps mentioned below to learn how to use Google Keyword Planner to improve SEO results:
1. Create Google Adwords Account
- A Google account is required before you can use Google Keyword Planner.
- Visit the homepage of the "Google Ads" and select "Start Now." This is done after you have registered an account. To sign in, select the Google account from the drop-down menu.
Creating a new Google account dashboard
- You will be prompted to build a campaign by Google Ads after registering for an account. They can avoid this step by selecting "Create an account without a campaign." It is done to avoid spending any money on advertising.
- Enter your company’s location, currency and time zone. Place the mouse pointer on the "Submit" option and click once the form is filled.
- The process of making a Google Ads account is now complete. After clicking "Explore Your Account", you will be sent to the Google Ads panel.
Welcome page of Google Ads
2. Accessing Google's Keyword Planner Tool
Click "Tools & Settings" in the right upper corner to access the "Google Keyword Planner." Select "Keyword Planner" from the "Planning" drop-down menu.
Google Ads dashboard showing various tools option
3. Choose Your Tool
After doing the first 2 steps properly, you will be presented with two choices:
- Discover New Keywords: Explore new ideas for keywords that they can use to get more traffic to their website by using this option.
- Get Forecasts and Search Volume: Find search volume, historical trends, and future forecasts for a set of terms with this option.
Options to get data on the Google Ads
4. Analyze the Keyword Ideas Section
In the third step, click on "discover new keywords." "Start with Keywords" and "Start with a Website" are the two options that will appear on the screen.
Begin by Using Keywords
You can insert keywords (example: coffee shop) or phrases (example: which coffee to sell in a cafe?) into the search box under "Start with Keywords." An optional domain can also be added to the list of keywords and phrases searched for. The results will appear once you enter the search terms.
Keywords suggestions popping up for the keyword searched results
Start by Creating a Site
If you select the start with a website option, you can input the website URL to get keyword suggestions. Using the URL you have specified as a source, the Google keyword planner tool generates a list of relevant search terms.
- Using this feature, you can choose whether to search the specific page within it or the entire website. "Get Results" will appear when you enter the URL.
- This is the best option if you want to see what the competitors are doing and get ideas from their keywords. Enter their website's URL to see the keywords they're researching.
- Using the URL or the user-specified keywords, the Google keyword planner tool will bring up a list of results and a list of new keywords.
- A search for "Google Analytics" yielded 193 keyword suggestions from which to choose. It also provides a list of other keywords that you can use to expand their search.
5. Get Exact Keyword Search Volume Data
"Get Search Volumes and Forecasts" is used as an alternative to looking for keywords. Using the following method, you can easily find keywords:
- Get started by entering keywords or phrases in the box, separated by commas or the following line, and clicking the Get Started option.
- If you enter the terms they want to target, the Google keyword planner tool will give you an estimate of how many clicks, average position, overall cost, impressions, and cost-per-click (CPC) they can expect in the upcoming month.
- Further, each keyword estimate is broken down into individual clicks, impressions, cost, CTR, and average CPC.
- This report does not include any keyword suggestions because it is meant to provide the data for the keywords you entered. You will find the average monthly searches and competition for each phrase on the Historical Metrics tab when looking at this data.
Window showing ‘Get Results’ after all the steps are completed
However, Google's keyword planner tool is useful for SEO as well. In addition to that, it's completely free. It's also a fantastic place to start if you are looking for business-related keywords.
Individual search terms can be entered, or the URL of a website can be entered to view keywords. Bidding values and the amount of competition are useful in determining the profitability of keywords. This tool helps in choosing keywords to help your businesses make more money.
Some of the alternatives listed below may be better suited if you seek more in-depth data on their target keywords and competitors.
6. Choose a Keyword
Choosing the appropriate keywords to focus on can make or break your SEO strategy and the volume of organic visitors they receive. When it comes to selecting keywords, there are a few fundamental guidelines to follow:
- Choose a wide range of keywords, some of which are more competitive than others. The more competitive ones will take longer to rank, but the less competitive ones may take less time. This allows you to attract traffic at a reasonable time of day.
- Before creating content on a specific topic, you need to research it. Expand your research by using a different keyword research tool and conducting your own Google searches. If you are looking for keywords to use in your article, you should look for synonyms, "people also ask" questions, and other relevant phrases and themes.
- If a keyword has a low search volume, it doesn't mean it's useless. If it's a good issue for your site, don't be afraid to write about it, even if it doesn't get a lot of traffic. Not all of the visitors will come from organic sources. Content ideal for newsletters or social media but does not have a high organic search volume can be created.
Keyword reference based on average monthly searches
1. What are the four metrics for each keyword that the keyword planner tool shows?
The four metrics that the keyword planner tool shows are:
It's important to know how many people search for a keyword each month so that you can identify the most popular keywords.
It is a measure to use if a user wants to know how hard it is to get an ad placement (usually low, medium, or high).
That shows how much it would cost to have a top-of-the-page advertisement.
The highest price advertisers are willing to pay for a top-page bid is represented by this number.
2. Is the Google keyword planner tool useful for Search Engine Optimization?
The Google keyword planner tool is primarily designed for individuals who use Google Ads, and it's an excellent tool for identifying the keywords an individual needs to increase the traffic on their website. It is a free-to-use and comprehensive tool.
3. Are keyword planner tools accurate?
In 2016, Google started grouping keywords together to enhance the quality of the web page content. Keyword planner tools are quintessential for keyword research. Various marketeers and websites rely on them for increasing their website traffic. However, no single tool is completely reliable. For this, you must cross-check your keyword selection from multiple tools to get assured results.
4. What are some of the Google Keyword Planner tips?
Top 5 Google Keyword Planner tips for users are mentioned below:
- Use basic filtering to refine your audience & budget
- Use quality keywords over a number of keywords
- Show your ads to your geographic audience
- Prepare for what your competitors are paying
- Analyze your plan to help make the most of your budget
Do you want to master the essential disciplines in Digital Marketing? Check out the Digital Marketing Specialist course now.
Do you want to brush up on your Digital Marketing skills? Check out our exclusive course on Digital Strategy for Brand Marketing and learn how to help your business establish a digital presence through the effective use of keywords, content, images, and user engagement that appeals to your target market.
You can explore more Digital Marketing courses on Simplilearn and give your career the right push.