Time management is the ability to use the time you have on your hands effectively for performing any task - this is crucial for any individual or business. Technology has undoubtedly enabled us to connect, improve, perform, and optimize our resources beyond imagination. One of the best examples of this is time management apps. Read on to learn more about time management apps.
What Is a Time Management App?
As the name suggests, time management apps enable control over time. These apps are a system that enables both individuals and businesses to keep track of time through a detailed view. Using a time management app is one of the most convenient ways to accomplish what most of us strive for on a daily basis - productivity.
From calendar reminders and to-do lists to meetings and shopping lists, it is very easy to get caught up and get overwhelmed with the number of chores that need to get done. Thanks to time management softwares, one can now monitor and keep track of all the chores and the time required to complete them — all in one place. Using such apps not only helps one accomplish their goals faster but also saves time in the long run.
Benefits of a Time Management App
Time tracking is extremely crucial. However, it is quite unnatural as we humans do not possess the ability to recall everything we work on with natural precision. This is why individuals and organizations are letting go of the error-prone notepads and spreadsheets for purpose-built, sophisticated time tracking apps. Now, before investing in a time management app, one must consider the benefits of such apps.
Following are the benefits of time tracking apps:
1. Bill Accurately
Automatic time tracking apps record and capture everything you do, developing a seamless record of all your work activities as you move between projects and clients. By eliminating the requirement to remember to set timers or tasks, they also eliminate the manual error and estimation of basic, memory-based methods.
2. Manage Projects
Time management apps can summarize all your project-related information to help you manage costs and improve estimations in real-time.
3. Improve Productivity
Disclose how exactly one gets distracted — from the websites that divert attention to what slows down an individual, these apps display it all. Such apps also help one address operational and personal inefficiencies.
4. Communicate Progress
Time management software also present all the information collected in a report form. Such reports are perfect for sharing status updates with managers or providing customers with a detailed breakdown of where they spent their money.
5. Evaluate Client Value
Time management apps enable a quick review of profitability across all individual projects and clients, thus, allowing you to assess which clients are the most profitable. These apps help understand and evaluate all the additional costs within a budget. One can accordingly revise processes or expectations with specific clients.
With cloud connectivity, an intuitive UI, and mobile device accessibility, time management apps streamline the time tracking process so that individuals and businesses can become more productive.
10 Best Time Management Apps
Time tracking apps make it convenient and simple to manage time and tasks and enhance productivity goals for you or your employees. These apps are essential as time management is a crucial skill to learn. This blog features some of the best time management apps currently available in the market.
The Timely app is an automatic time management application that tracks how long projects take and helps one organize their workweek efficiently. All one needs to do is provide their workweek in advance to estimate how much time they need to set aside each day to complete their tasks. Timely is available for Android, iOS, Mac, Windows, and as a browser application.
- Records each thing you work on while using its Memory Tracker
- Offers a realistic picture of how much time projects take up to finish
- Holds an individual accountable for the quantity of time they set apart from work
- Makes time entries for the work that is recorded
- Creates reports for easy communication with others
Its memory tracker records your time spent browsing websites, documents, emails, and video calls. This is of key importance. One of the most important aspects of time management is understanding how much time a task takes. With timely, you will always have this information available in a matter of clicks.
- Track your entire work day.
- Track projects, especially employee hours required in the completion of projects.
- Track team performance to identify where time is being saved and where it is falling through the cracks.
- The apps support is slow
Developed for professionals, Toggl Track can be used by small businesses, freelancers, and corporate teams alike, thanks to its customized features. This app has the functionality to track time spent on tasks and run reports to see where individuals spend most of their time to help them be more efficient.
Why Toggl Track?
- Free account for up to 5 users
- Tracks time directly in tools being used with its integrations with various apps
- The support team responds within hours
Individuals, as well as teams, can use Toggl Track. Teams benefit from Toggl Track through streamlining of work as it helps everyone productively track their time.
- Toggle Track is available for free for up to 5 users
- Great for businesses, both big and small.
- Excellent security features. Your data is always protected.
- Some of the advanced features are kept behind a paywall.
Toggl Track can be used for free for up to 5 users. However, some of its more powerful features are available through the paid version of the app.
- Toggl Track Basic – Free
- Toggl Track Starter – 9$ per user per month
- Toggl Track Premium – 18$ per user per month
The TSheets app by QuickBooks is an all-inclusive mobile timesheets app that tracks time on any device for teams of all sizes. Using the TSheets app, employees can log in and log out easily and quickly from a computer, mobile app, or a time clock kiosk.
- Creates employee schedules by shifts or jobs
- Connects to the favorite payroll or accounting software
- Interactive, real-time reports
- Displays overtime alerts to be aware of weekly overtime limits
- GPS location tracking available to keep tabs on where your employees are working
Its real-time alerts and approval feature lets you closely monitor all matters related to employee time management. Some interesting features include the GPS tracking facility and mobile time tracker.
- Creates employee schedules by shifts or jobs
- Connects to your preferred payroll or accounting software like Xero, Gusto, Sage, Quickbooks, and ADP.
- Interactive, real-time reports that are easy to use and easier to understand.
- Displays overtime alerts to be aware of weekly overtime limits
- GPS location tracking is available to keep tabs on where your employees are working
- High pricing
- The mobile app has some bugs.
- GPS tracking doesn't automatically track arrival time. Employees must remember to log in to TSheets to log in their arrival time.
- TSheets Basic – Free for 1 user
- Tsheets Premium – 8$ per month per user + 20$ base fee per month
- TSheets Elite – 10$ per user per month +40$ base fee per month
The TMetric app provides reporting and time tracking features that can be automated with browser extensions. One can create invoices and send them to clients. There is also the option for employee monitoring which is useful when one works with a remote team.
- Software available in both web and desktop versions
- Includes an API that can be integrated with the business management software
- Has an excellent user interface that comes along with the Chrome extension
- Has a built-in extension with Jira software (designed to help teams of all types manage work)
The work schedule feature can help you set a working time for all employees. A time off feature lets you track when employees are available and when they are not. This will help you keep track of employee leaves when scheduling tasks. You can also take screenshots using TMetric.
- It can simply be integrated with any web-based tool
- The app's time estimation reports help the users keep better track of time
- Time tracking is simple and easy
- There may be too many bugs
- The desktop app loses connection often
- TMetric Basic – Free
- TMetric Professional – 5$ per user per month
- TMetric Business – 7$ per user per month
TimeTree app is one of the best time management apps, with the ability to flawlessly share memos and calendars between users. TimeTree is ideal for busy families aiming to keep everyone’s schedules in one place. More than just a calendar, this app comes with the added functionality of memos that replaces the traditional pen-and-paper to-do list so that there is a dedicated place for managing one’s busy life.
- It is a free app
- Works on multiple devices
- Perfect for blended families or split households
TimeTree lets you flawlessly share memos between users. The app has an excellent calendar feature that lets you sync your calendar with another user. This makes planning outings and meetings very easy.
- The app is completely free to use.
- Let's you color-code upcoming events so you can easily differentiate them.
- Very simple and elegant design.
- It's a simple calendar app that is best used for personal time-keeping and event tracking. Not ideal for business settings.
TimeTree is free to use on Android, iOS. Mac and Windows.
Trello enables one to easily view what all team members are doing at a glance, so you never miss a beat during an important project. If you are looking to manage tasks and projects at a glance easily, use Trello. This app, designed to be used as a collaboration tool, lets you view and assign tasks and projects across teams.
- It has a free version that is packed with features
- Integrates with other tools, such as Dropbox and Google Drive
Visual collaboration feature that provides visual tracking of progress and deadlines. Ideal for a team that works in a production line manner and wants to streamline efficiency.
- Works with every department of an organization, from HR to design.
- Promotes cross-team collaboration.
- Intuitive and easy to use
- Requires users to be online.
- 10mb file upload limit.
- Trello Basic – Free
- Trello Standard – 5$ per month
- Trello Premium – 10$ per month
- Trello Enterprise – Contact Trello.
With robust analytics resources, the Calendar app enables one to see how much time one spends in meetings so that one can structure (or also re-structure) their time to prioritize essential tasks.
- Detailed analytics to understand how one spends their time
- Has a wide user base, from large teams to freelancersConnects all the calendars in one place
Every feature that you can think of in a calendar app is probably available in Calendar. In effect, this app is the ideal modern calendar to assist you in your day-to-day life. Can embed the app in other software like Zapier and Zoom.
- Very simple design, easy to use.
- Available on multiple platforms.
- Great features for a simple calendar app.
- The design is simple, but it is too simple. The interface could use a little oomph.
- Calendar Basic – Free
- Calendar Standard – 6$ per month
- Calendar Pro – 8$ per month
Harvest is an expense and time tracking app that uses the power of time tracking to answer crucial questions, such as where is my time going? The app has robust time-tracking features and is installed with a smart interface that is easy and fast to operate.
- Tracks billable time and enables one to create invoices instantly to send to clients
- Easily updates time data on the weekly timesheet
- Ensures that teams have enough time to complete all the planned projects
One of Harvest's best features is invoice creation. With the time-tracking feature of Harvest, creating an invoice is now easier than ever before.
- Can be integrated with other software.
- Can be used to manage teams as well as prepare schedules.
- Harvest Basic – Free
- Harvest Solo – 12$ per month
- Harvest Team – 12$ per user.
Wunderlist is an effective and simple app for managing an online to-do list. This time management software enables users to tick off all professional and personal tasks. Users can keep track and complete their respective tasks, and also share their own goals and allocate tasks for their teams.
- Shares your lists and work done to collaborate on a project
- Adds notes to ensure all your ideas are stored
- Sets reminders and due dates
- Collaborates with team members and colleagues
- Includes anything from the web to Wunderlist
One of Wunderlist's top features is the ability to share your goals and goal completion and allocate tasks to your team. The app can also set reminders, monitor due dates, and take notes.
- A free version that isn't bare-bones.
- Elegant and intuitive interface.
- The lack of some features that are commonly available in other apps makes Wunderlist slightly outdated.
Wunderlist is free-to-use.
TimeCamp is a unique project structure that creates transparent and complex management. TimeCamp also provides features, such as reporting, budgeting, and invoicing to help teams perform better and deliver work results on time and within budget.
- Lets you choose between two types of timesheet templates – daily and weekly
- Evaluates the time spent on projects with a broad range of reports
TimeCamp neatly categorizes your activities into productive or otherwise. The paid version of the app even helps with micro-management through invoicing and team collaboration.
- Robust reporting system.
- Very well-represented timesheet
- The mobile version is buggy
- The interface can be more intuitive.
- TimeCamp – Free
- TimeCamp Basic – 6.30$ per user per month
- TimeCamp Pro – 9$ per user per month.
Are you aspiring to become a Project Manager? Then check out the PMP Certification Training Course. Enroll now.
Whether for professional or personal use or both, a time management app will work for you and cater to your needs; make sure you are well aware of your requirements and expectations from such a time management app. However, you will understand which app can seamlessly integrate with your day-to-day habits only after some trial and error.
Businesses and organizations today need strategic project managers to help improve the efficiency of businesses with the help of time management and project management tools. A Post Graduate Program in Project Management from Simplilearn will help you master design thinking as a strategic tool for business transformation.