The 4 Steps to Apply for a PMP Certification
If you have decided to become a PMP® and have met the eligibility criteria, you begin with the PMP application process. Because the PMP application is quite an involved process, PMP experts recommend that you gather all the relevant information related to your PMP application before you begin.
Preparing for PMP®? Take this test to learn where you stand!
In this article, we will take you through the steps to apply for the exam and some tips for completing your application form.
There are four steps to applying for the PMP credential:
- Completing the online application
- Paying the fee
- Completing the PMP audit process
- Scheduling your PMP exam
Completing the Online Application
When applying for any of their credentials, the Project Management Institute (PMI®) encourages every candidate to utilize the online certification system. Printable application forms are available on the site.
Before beginning make sure you meet the requirements. The necessary information will be recorded in the application. Once the application process has begun, it cannot be cancelled; however, an unfinished document can be saved and completed later.
The PMP application form will be open for 90 days, during which PMI will send you reminders to complete the application process. Though the organization sends several reminders, the responsibility lies on you to schedule and appear for the exam within one-year eligibility period.
Before submitting the application form, you will need to read and agree to PMI Code of Ethics & Professional Conduct and the Certification Agreement/Renewal Agreement. All of this information can be found in the Project Management Professional (PMP®) Handbook.
Below is an example of what the PMP application looks like:
The PMP application form is divided into three parts:
- General information
- Your project management experience
- Details of the 35 hours training program
The timeline of processing an application is dependent on how the application is submitted: online or on paper through the mail. The table below shows the details of the processing period.
Paying the Fee
The cost is dependent on your PMI membership status and the examination delivery type for specific geographic locations. The exam comes at a discounted rate for members; you must be a PMI member before you make your payment. If you apply for membership just before the payment period, you will need to first verify being a member. If the membership is not processed completely, you will be charged the non-member rate.
The table below shows the payments methods you can use.
Once the online application is processed and complete, the PMI will send an electronic notification requesting the payment. Once your payment has been received, you’ll receive one of the following notifications:
- Instructions that will help you schedule your exam
- The application has been randomly selected randomly for the PMI’s audit process
Scheduling your Exam
- Select a geographic location.
- Select “Schedule an Appointment”.
- Read through the exam information that appears.
- Agree to the Policies and the Data Privacy Notice.,
- Enter the “PMI® Eligibility ID” and the first four letters of your last name.
- Select a preferred test center.
- Select an exam date and time.
- Confirm the contact details.
- Review the appointment details.
- Take note of your examination confirmation details and the unique 16 digit confirmation number displayed.
Keep this information safely. The information will also be sent through an email notification.
Rescheduling Your PMP Exam
If you have already scheduled the exam but need to shift dates, you are allowed to reschedule your exam up to two days prior to your originally schedule exam date and time. However, an administration fee may apply according to the following fee agreement:
- Beyond 30 days: no fee
- Within 30 days and 2 days before the exam: $70
- Within 2 days: no fees—all fees forfeited
For more Project Management articles, visit our free resource section.
About the On-Demand Webinar
About the Webinar