The PMP®, or Project Management Professional, is an exam conducted by the Project Management Institute (PMI)®, is a globally recognized certification. The exam consists of 200 multiple choice questions that outline the five process groups (Initiation, Planning, Executing, Monitoring and Controlling, and Closing) and nine knowledge areas (Integration, Scope, Time, Cost, Quality, Human Resource, Communication, Risk, and Procurement).
Of the 200 questions, 25 of them are pretest questions. Pretest questions appear randomly during the exam, do not affect the candidate’s score, and are used in examinations as an effective way to increase the number of examination questions that can be used in future PMP exams. The passing score for the exam is almost 61 percent (106 questions correct out of 175 scored questions).
Enroll in our PMP® Certification Course today and develop a strong foundation in the principles of project management.
25 Examples of PMP Questions and Answers
1. A project has a 60% chance of a $100,000 profit and a 40 percent of a US $100,000 loss. The Expected Monetary Value for the project is:
- $100,000 profit
- $60,000 loss
- $ 20,000 profit
- $40,000 loss
Expected Monitory Value (EMV) is computed by EMV = Probability × Impact.
Compute both positive and negative values and then add them:
0.6 × $100,000 = $60,000 0.4 × $100,000 = $40,000 EMV = $60,000 - $40,000 = $20,000 profit
2. Assuming that the ends of a range of estimates are +/- 3 sigma from the mean, which of the following range estimates involves the LEAST risk?
- 30 days, plus or minus 5 days
- 22 – 30 days
- Optimistic = 26 days, most likely = 30 days, pessimistic = 33 days
- Mean of 28 days
The estimate with the smallest range is less risky.
3. If a risk has a 20 percent chance of happening in a given month, and the project is expected to last five months, what is the probability that the risk event will occur during the fourth month of the project?
- Less than 1 percent
- 20 percent
- 60 percent
- 80 percent
4. An accepted deadline for project approaches. However, the project manager realizes only 75% percent of the work has been completed. The project manager then issues a change request. What should the change request authorize?
- Additional resources using the contingency fund
- Escalation approval to use contingency funding
- Team overtime to meet schedule
- Corrective action based on causes
5. The risk will be identified during which risk management process(es)?
- Perform Quantitative Risk Analysis and Identify Risks
- Identify Risks and Monitor and Control Risks
- Perform Qualitative Risk Analysis and Monitor and Control Risks
- Identify Risks
|Reference: The PMBOK® Guide, 5th Edition, Page 312, Figure 11.1|
6. What is meant by RACI?
- Responsible, Accountable, Confirm, Inform
- Recommended, Accountable, Consulted, Inform
- Responsible, Accountant, Consulted, Inform
- Responsible, Accountable, Consulted, Inform
The RACI chart is an example of the Responsibility Assignment Matrix (RAM), which shows the relationship between activities and the team members.
7. Which of the following statement is true about a Program?
- A Program is a group of related projects
- A Program is a group of unrelated projects
- A Program is a part of a big project
- None of the above
|Reference: The PMBOK® Guide, 5th Edition, Page 9|
8. The project manager meets with the project team to review lessons learned from previous projects. In what activity is the team involved?
- Performance management
- Scope identification
- Risk identification
- Project team status meeting
9. During a bidder conference, you see that one bidder is your close friend. What should your next step be?
- You will pass some confidential info to him
- You will disclose this relationship to your management
- You will resign immediately from the bidding process
- You will try not to give the contract to him to prove your integrity
There is a conflict of interest in this situation. You must inform your boss about this relationship.
10. If a risk event has a 90 percent chance of occurring, and the consequences will be the US $ 10,000, what does the US $9,000 represent?
- Risk value
- Present value
- Expected monetary value
- Contingency budget
EMV = .9 X $ 10,000 = $ 9,000
11. An earthquake damaged your construction project. Your contractor says that he cannot fulfill the terms of the contract due to a specific clause you both had signed the contract. He is referring to the:
- Force majeure clause
- Fixed price clause
- Contract obligation terms
- None of the above
12. All of the following are ALWAYS inputs to the risk management process EXCEPT:
- Historical information
- Lessons learned
- Work breakdown structure
- Project status reports
Project Status report can be an input to risk management. However, when completing risk management for the first time, you wouldn’t have the project status report yet. Therefore, the project status report is not always an input to risk management.
|Related read: Project Management Professional Exam Tips and Tricks|
13. When estimating time for activities, a Project Manager should:
- Use the best guess and estimate all activities since there will be changes as the project progresses and more information becomes available
- Involve people who will be doing the work to get estimates
- Estimate for what the cost will allow and include buffers
- None of the above
14. Risk tolerance is determined in order to help:
- The team ranks the project risks.
- The project manager estimates the project.
- The team schedules the project.
- Management knows how other managers will act on the project.
If you know the tolerance of the stakeholders, you can predict how they might react to different situations and risk events. This information can help assign levels of risk on each work package activity.
15. You are running a project to engineer and implement a set of business processes and a software solution for customer relationship management. The project involves a large number of organizations―a major corporation and many suppliers of different sizes. During the project, you observe the effects of the differences between the companies’ corporate cultures. This leads to different expectations on how the project should be handled—as well as to frequent misunderstandings between stakeholders. Another effect is a growing degree of distrust and skepticism. What should you try first to integrate the diverse stakeholder groups?
- Focus on project work. As a project manager, you should not get distracted by big egos.
- Let the problems grow further until they are obvious for all. Then escalate them.
- Develop a joint quality policy for the project and seek a commitment by all organizations.
- Analyze the probability and impact of the risks linked with the situation and plan how to respond to them.
|Reference: PMBOK® Guide 5th Edition, page 194 (last paragraph).|
16. You are finding it difficult to evaluate the exact cost impact of risk. You should evaluate on a(n) :
- Quantitative basis
- Numerical basis
- Qualitative basis
- Economic basis
If you cannot determine an exact cost impact to the event, use qualitative estimates such as Low, Medium, and High.
17. A project manager is quantifying risk for her project. Several of her experts are offsite but wish to be included. How can this be done?
- Do a Monte Carlo analysis using the Internet as a tool
- Apply the critical path method
- Determine options for recommended corrective action
- Apply the Delphi Technique
The Delphi technique is commonly used to obtain expert opinions on technical issues, the necessary project, or product scope.
18. Being assigned as a project manager, you noticed during project execution that conflicts arise in the team on both technical and interpersonal levels. What is an appropriate way of handling conflicts?
- Conflicts distract the team and disrupt the work rhythm. You should always smooth them when they surface.
- A conflict should be handled in a meeting so that the entire team can participate in finding a solution.
- Conflicts should be addressed early and usually in private, using a direct, collaborative approach.
- You should use your coercive power to quickly resolve conflicts and then focus on goal achievement.
Find Our PMP Training in Top Cities
19. During which risk management process is a determination to transfer a risk made?
- Identify Risks
- Perform Quantitative Risk Analysis
- Plan Risk Response
- Monitor and Control Risks
Transference is a Risk Response Strategy.
20. When control charts are used, outliers are:
- Singular measurements outside the bandwidth between an upper and lower control limit.
- A typical result of a rare random cause which is difficult to replicate and to verify.
- Insignificant results, often measurement errors, the causes of which should not be further investigated.
- Measurements are inconsistent with a run of 7 results over or under a mean value.
21. Which of the following is not a process group?
Closing is not a process group.
22. What is the output of the monitoring and controlling process?
- The project schedule
- The project charter
- The project management plan
- The project work
The output of the monitoring and controlling process is the project management plan.
23. Which of the following is not an input to the developing project management plan process?
- The project charter
- The stakeholder register
- The enterprise environmental factors
- The organization's processes and procedures
The input to the developing project management plan process is the stakeholder register.
24. Which of the following is not an input to the controlling process?
- The project management plan
- The project schedule
- The project work
- The approved changes
The input to the controlling process is the project management plan.
25. Which of the following is not an output of the closing process?
- The final product, service, or result of the project
- A lessons learned knowledge base
- Organizational closure documents
- The project management plan
The output of the closing process is the project management plan.
26. Alpha and Beta are two projects considered by a company. $50 million net profit is expected of Alpha and $45 million from Beta. Both are lucrative and rewarding projects, but the company can only invest in one of the projects. If Alpha is chosen, calculate the opportunity cost?
- $45 million
- $95 million
- $5 million
- $50 million
$45 million. The value of the alternative not chosen is called opportunity cost.
27. You are the manager of a project which involves constructing five bridges. The project comprises five sequential phases with each phase completing one bridge. After the first phase of the project is complete, which process group of the second phase should follow?
Initiating. A new project or new phase of an existing project is defined by the Initiating Process Group.
28. The aim of a project is to investigate the technical, economic and social feasibility of constructing a hydroelectric dam. The project charter is approved by the project sponsor. What is the next step to be performed?
- Identify Risks
- Develop Project Management Plan
- Develop Project Charter
- Identify Stakeholders’
After developing and approving the project charter, Identifying the stakeholders process is done next.
29. While managing a software upgrade project for your company you realize that your sponsor has high authority in decisions but low interest. What stakeholder management strategy should you employ to ensure the sponsor’s continued support?
- Manage the sponsor closely
- Keep the sponsor satisfied
- Keep the sponsor informed
- Monitor the sponsor's actions
Keep the sponsor satisfied
30. The project sponsor asks for a copy of the document that contains the description, owner, source, priority, and status of product requirements. Which project document is the question?
- The scope management plan
- The requirements management plan
- The requirements traceability matrix
- The work breakdown structure (WBS)
The requirements traceability matrix
31. Development is a critical aspect in a project with large size and regulatory and environmental considerations. What is the first thing you should do as a starting point for initial project planning?
- Start identifying stakeholders so that you can engage them as required for project planning
- Hold a project kick-off meeting with the aim to inform and engage stakeholders and obtain commitment
- Review the project charter to get high-level information about the project
- Share project scope with the involved team to establish common understanding about project deliverables
Review the project charter to get high-level information about the project
32. While monitoring the baseline cost of a project, it is noted that the project expenses are higher than expected at this point. What is the most likely cause of this?
- An incomplete milestone list
- Overestimated material costs
- Lack of stakeholder support
- Excess inventory
Excess inventory - Failing to manage and control resources efficiently can be a source of increased costs in a project.
33. Recently, you promoted your star programmer, Pam, to lead the agile development team. Pam was a fantastic software coder, and you thought the promotion would mean that she could now share her expertise with the other development team members. But, you observe that Pam’s performance in her new role is underwhelming and not at par with your expectations. Which empirical rule have you ignored or forgotten while considering Pam’s promotion?
- Pareto concept
- Murphy's law
- Expectancy theory
- Halo effect
34. While reviewing a requirements management plan of a project, you notice that one of the components does not belong there. Which among these is the odd one?
- A process that describes how the project requirements will be prioritized
- How requirement activities will be planned, tracked, and reported
- The metrics that will be used and the rationale for using them
- A process that specifies how a project scope statement will be prepared
A process that specifies how a project scope statement will be prepared
35. As part of a process improvement project for a factory operation, the project and team are performing the process of monitoring and controlling project work. Which of the following is done during this process?
- Drawing an actual comparison of project performance against the project management plan
- Gaining formal acceptance of the deliverables by the customer or sponsor
- Implementing approved change requests to achieve the project's objectives
- Analyzing change requests and either approving or rejecting them
Drawing an actual comparison of project performance against the project management plan
36. A company sets up a change control board (CCB) dedicated to the purpose of reviewing and evaluating the changes submitted for all projects. Which of the following best describes an individual or group that can request a change on a project in a situation where the project sponsor is a member of the CCB?
- Project sponsor
- Project team
- Project manager
- Any stakeholder
37. You want to replace a contractor because they are not performing to the agreed-upon standards and engage another contractor for the same job. You need to determine the specific legal procedure for the early termination of the contract. What should you do?
- Check the procurement management plan
- Review the risk register
- Consult the contract
- Look at the scope statement
Consult the contract
38. In a project divided into four phases in sequence, what should the project manager do when the second phase is over and the third one is about to begin?
- Begin the process of directing and managing the project work
- Start the process of monitoring and controlling the project work
- Perform the process of identifying the project stakeholders
- Begin the process of developing the project management plan
Perform the process of identifying the project stakeholders
39. The project management office (PMO) of an organization ensures all project management processes and all relevant project documents conform to the established best practices. What is the first thing that the project manager should review to identify stakeholders for a new project?
- The stakeholder engagement plan to identify what management strategies and actions can work best to effectively engage the stakeholders
- The business documents to obtain information about the stakeholders
- The requirements documentation to know more about potential stakeholders
- The communications management plan to learn about the project's stakeholders
The business documents to obtain information about the stakeholders
40. Using an agile framework, you are to lead a product development project. You want to bring together stakeholders and SMEs to discuss risk, success criteria and other topics. What is the best way for you to accomplish this objective?
- Facilitate an iteration retrospective
- Conduct interviews with the identified individuals
- Schedule a focus group
- Invite the relevant participants to the daily scrum meetings
Schedule a focus group
41. As part of preparing the communications management plan for a project in construction, you want to determine the needs of the project stakeholders with respect to information. Your focus is on the type and format of information required to pass on to them. What is your best course of action?
- Conduct a communication requirements analysis
- Consult the stakeholder engagement plan
- Develop the stakeholder register
- Review the requirements documentation
Conduct a communication requirements analysis
42. To reduce the defect rate of a manufacturing process, a project is carried out. The project team is carrying out QA activities to analyze and improve the process. Which of the following would be the most beneficial for this project?
- Utilizing rolling wave planning for the project
- Introducing the use of a kanban board into the manufacturing process
- Adopting a just-in-time (JIT) manufacturing process
- Consulting with a certified Six Sigma Black Belt expert
Consulting with a certified Six Sigma Black Belt expert
43. You are the head of a software development project where the developers involved are working within a rented office space. It’s taking longer than anticipated to write the code. You have requested the landlord to rent the office for another week. Unfortunately, the landlord informs you that the office is booked for that period. You capture the problem in the project documents. What should you do next?
- Makes updates in the risk register
- Request more funds
- Enter the issue in the issue log for record
- Make revisions in the resource management plan
Make revisions in the resource management plan
44. You are part of a project team that’s designing a new type of vehicle. You are on the brink of getting started with working on a set of tasks (work package) for the braking system of the vehicle. You would like to assess the acceptance criteria before beginning the work. Where should you look in order to find this information?
- Requirements documentation
- The WBS dictionary
- Project management plan
- Activity attributes
The WBS dictionary
45. A project to construct an assembly line is nearly complete. The project manager has closed procurements, submitted the final project report, updated the lessons learned register, and acquired feedback from the relevant stakeholders. What should be the next step of the project manager?
- Send a summary of how the final product fulfilled the business needs
- Transfer the completed assembly line to operations
- Send a formal writing to the vendors notifying that the contracts have been completed
- Make the final payment to the suppliers
Transfer the completed assembly line to operations
46. A project team is weighing two risk responses to include in the risk register. The first risk response must meet two criteria and costs $5,000. The second risk response must meet four criteria, but only costs $2,000. Which action is least likely to be taken by the project team to select the best risk response?
- Conduct a cost-benefit analysis
- Use multicriteria decision analysis
- Run a Monte Carlo simulation
- Perform an alternatives analysis
Run a Monte Carlo simulation
47. Your project team members are writing code in pairs and assessing each other's work to review and determine if the code follows the requirements documentation. Which of the following results will be obtained from this process?
- Work performance data
- Verified deliverable
- Accepted deliverable
- Acceptance criteria
48. The construction project has many people and specialized teams at the work site every day. Frequent and seamless communication between the team leads is vital to ensure safe and efficient progress. Which agile ceremony can be incorporated in this project to boost timely cross-functional communication?
- Daily standups
- Iteration reviews
- Risk-based spikes
Daily standups. Daily standups refer to time-boxed meetings of short duration that the project team and relevant stakeholders attend.
49. The organization’s leadership wants to include more agile methodologies in their projects. Before starting to take any agile approaches in a project, what is the first thing to be done?
- Evaluate the organizational culture and transformation readiness
- Conduct a survey of employees to find those willing to participate in agile projects
- Conduct agile training for those in the team assembled for the pilot project
- Put current projects on hold to readjust them to the new agile cadence
Evaluate the organizational culture and transformation readiness
50. You need to establish the relative priorities of risks recognized in a project. Which of the following tasks is the most likely to not affect this prioritization?
- Researching the stakeholder register
- Making a review of the assumption log
- Generating the risk report
- Examining the risk register
Generating the risk report
51. The following table is an activity list that includes the duration and predecessor for a series of project activities. What is the duration of the critical path?
52. A project manager, while developing the stakeholder register, lists down the potential stakeholders and chooses to use a data gathering method known as brain writing. What is the first thing to do when using this method?
- Share a set of questions with participating members ahead of the the creativity session
- Convene a data gathering meeting with the participants
- Develop your own template for a stakeholder register
- Refer to the stakeholder engagement plan to get an understanding of how to identify stakeholders
Send a list of questions to participants ahead of the the creativity session
53. A project manager communicates primarily through email with her team members, internal and external project stakeholders. Certain techniques are incorporated to ensure there are no misunderstandings. Which of the following is not considered one of these techniques?
- Controlled flow of words and ideas
- Concise expression
- Clear purpose directed at meeting the needs of the reader
- Communications register
|Reference: Managing Project Quality by Timothy J. Kloppenborg and Joseph A. Petrick|
If you are considering working toward your PMP exam, Simplilearn offers a variety of project management courses that will help you pass, including the PMP Certification training course. Our PMP training courses are conducted by certified, highly experienced professionals with at least 10 years of experience.
PMI, PMP, and PMBOK have registered marks of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
Interested in learning more? View Simplilearn's video on “Introduction to PMP Certification Training” to understand the requirements and guidelines for the PMP examination.