On January 12, 2021, Simplilearn shared a program preview of the Advanced Certificate Program in Data Science from Purdue University with Simplilearn. This program, developed in collaboration with IBM, provides a comprehensive learning path to let qualified learners earn a Data Science certification in just 12 months. The preview was presented by Shivam Arora, Simplilearn's Senior Product Manager for Data Science.
Why Data Science?
Data science is one of the fastest-growing disciplines in technology. Data has grown enormously over the past decade and is projected to reach 175 zettabytes in 2025 according to IDC. Fortune Business Insights projects Big Data spending will grow from $41 billion in 2019 to $116 billion in 2027.
Globally, companies like Amazon, Microsoft, LinkedIn, and Facebook, ranging from huge enterprises to small businesses, are looking for professionals who can manage their data efficiently and draw business insights. Over the next five years, annual growth in hiring for Data Scientists will average 37%. There will be 31% growth in total Data Scientist jobs by 2029, for a total of 3 million new jobs estimated for Data Science and Analytical roles by 2026.
Salaries for data scientists reflect this strong demand. They range from $86,000 in the lowest quintile to $157,000 in the highest, with an average of $123,000. There are different data science job roles requiring different skill sets, including data analysts (average salary $75,200) and AI/ML engineers (average salary $149,800)
To give you the skills you need to succeed in one of these careers, Purdue University has joined forces with Simplilearn to create the Post Graduate Program in Data Science, in collaboration with IBM.
What This Program Offers
This program offers a comprehensive curriculum with an industry-aligned learning path. It incorporates integrated labs and hands-on projects for practical experience as you learn. It goes well beyond self-paced learning through its online live virtual classrooms with peer and instructor interaction. At the same time, it remains flexible to fit your lifestyle and schedule, and it can be completed in 12 months with five to ten hours of effort a week.
The Advanced Certificate Program has 8X higher live interaction than alternatives, with 200+ hours of live online classes by industry experts. It includes exclusive hackathons and AMA sessions by IBM and masterclasses from Purdue and IBM. The coursework includes 25+ hand-on Projects and Integrated Labs, and a final Capstone Project in three domains. Successful completion of the courses earns the learner Industry-recognized IBM certificates.
Program graduates receive Purdue Advanced Certificate Program Certification and the opportunity to gain Purdue Alumni Association Membership. Purdue is a 151-year-old university, consistently ranking in the top US universities. Having Purdue University on your CV is a prestigious accomplishment recognized worldwide
How This Program is Different
The program comprises a comprehensive learning path that includes a complete skillset for data science. Courses include:
- R Programming for Data Science: Write R code, utilize R data structures, and create your own functions
- Data Science with R Programming: Hands-on experience and real-world applications
- Python for Data Science: Python programming, designed by IBM
- Data Science with Python: Data science and analytics techniques using Python programming
- Machine Learning: Supervised and unsupervised learning and hands-on modeling
- Tableau Training: Building visualizations, organizing data, and designing dashboards
- Natural Language Processing: Fundamentals of Natural Language Processing using Python’s Natural Language Toolkit (NLTK)
- Data Science Capstone: Hands-on, industry-relevant project bringing together every course into one portfolio-worthy capstone
- Electives: Academic Master Class – Purdue University and Industry Master Class – Data Science
Tools, libraries, and languages you will learn in the program include:
- Python and its NumPy and SciPy computing libraries
All of this is taught by leading practitioners in data science, instructors with real-world industry experience. The program is led by Patrick J. Wolfe, the Dean of Science at Purdue, and Ronald van Loon, Simplilearn’s Program Advisor in Data Science.
What Makes This Program Effective
The entire program is delivered in Simplilearn’s Online Bootcamp format that empowers you to learn the right skills for today's top Data Science roles, fast. This includes:
- Live Sessions Delivered by Leading Experts
- Job-ready Training via Skill-based Learning
- Applied learning via Interactive Labs & Projects
- Cohort Learning with Peer Collaboration
- 24/7 Learning Support
You will work on projects modeled on real-world challenges, such as:
- Fare Prediction for Uber
- Test Bench Time Reduction for Mercedes-Benz
- Product Rating Prediction for Amazon
- Demand Forecasting for Walmart
- Improving Customer Experience for Comcast
The program culminates in Capstone projects involving real-world data sets with virtual labs for hands-on learning. Capstone projects are rigorous in nature and make excellent samples for your portfolio demonstrating your skills. Examples include:
- Retail - customer segmentation
- Healthcare - predicting diabetes
- Real Estate and Finance - predicting monthly mortgage expenses
Program graduates are honored at a gala online convocation, with commencement speeches by Purdue and Simplilearn leaders and selected graduating peers. The convocation includes award announcements for the top students in each program cohort.
Are you considering a profession in the field of Data Science? Then get certified with the Data Science Training Course today!
How You Can Enroll
To be eligible for the Advanced Certificate Program in Data Science, you need:
- A basic understanding of programming concepts and mathematics
- A bachelor’s degree with 50% or higher marks (GPA of 2.0 or higher)
- Preferably two or more years of work experience, though this is not a strict requirement
The enrollment process is three steps:
You submit an application.
Simplilearn admissions staff reviews your application
Upon approval and payment of program fees, your enrollment is complete.
To learn more, find out the next cohort start date, and get answers to your questions, visit the program page or email firstname.lastname@example.org.