A Microsoft Excel Certification validates a professional’s abilities to work with MS Excel applications and tools. A spreadsheet application distributed by Microsoft and the basis of all data entry jobs, it enables the user to be able to use easy spreadsheet functions like graphic tools, calculators, formulas, charts, macro programming language, and other pivotal tools. The latest version of the software is MS Excel, which provides users with a wide variety of tools that make database jobs simpler and more comprehensive.
Many recruiters claim that just being proficient in Excel isn’t enough. Candidates need to have an industry-standard certification to validate their claim and ease the recruitment process. The Microsoft Excel Certification is recognized globally and benefits the candidate with better recognition and competitive edge over non-certified professionals.
Simplilearn's Excel training programs provide a solid foundation for professionals seeking to excel in their data-driven roles. Enroll today and unlock your potential!
Have a look at the video below that will help you understand Excel basics and explore its features.
Eligibility and Requirements of Microsoft Excel Certification
There isn’t professional or academic eligibility required to apply for the MS Excel Certification.
Candidates are just required to have the latest software installed on their computers to be able to run through the online exam. The requisites include:
- Microsoft Windows Vista SP2 or higher
- MS Office
- .NET Framework 4.0 or higher
- Adobe Flash Player 10.0 or higher
- High-Speed Broadband
- Internet Explorer
Once you have applied for the certification exam, you will receive an exam date and also be provided with self-paced practice papers from Microsoft IT Academy.
Quick Facts on How to Get a Microsoft Excel Certification
- The exam is called the Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Excel
- The minimum pass score is 700
- The test is time metered with a maximum duration of 60 minutes
- Exams are scheduled every Friday between 11 AM and 5 PM and at recognized centers
- The test will be invigilated by Microsoft representatives
- No cell phone or networking device is allowed in the examination hall
In the section below, we will be discussing the steps on how to get excel certified.
Steps to Earn a Microsoft Excel Certification
1. Choose the Certification ProgramDetermine which Microsoft Excel certification program aligns with your goals and skills. Popular options include Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) and Microsoft Certified: Data Analyst Associate.
2. Understand the Exam RequirementsFamiliarize yourself with the requirements of the certification exam you plan to take. Check the official Microsoft certification website for details on the exam objectives, skills measured, and any prerequisites.
3. Prepare for the ExamIt is advisable to carefully review the Microsoft certification study guide before taking the MOS exam. The official Microsoft website is where students can purchase reliable guides, like the Microsoft Certified Application Specialist Study Guide. If you can, study more than one guide to compare the information. The MS Excel certification is attainable, but you must stay focused and have a complete working knowledge of the application.
4. Practice with ExcelNext, download as many practice exams as possible and review the sample objectives that may be asked in the exams. These practice tests will not just help you understand and measure your test taking skills but also give a general idea of the overall structure of professional certification examinations. There are numerous companies that offer free trial exams. Log onto their websites and request a free Excel certification test voucher. The more you practice, the more comfortable you will be during the final tests.
5. Take Official Practice TestsRegister on the Microsoft website and other websites for commonly used test papers and study guides. These documents will be sent to you over mail. This is also when you must be ready to pay for the training center you will be taking your test at. The entire process will just require a month if you are already working with MS Excel for a long time now. Be sure to learn and use the latest features of MS Excel as the certification requires you to be updated.
6. Schedule the ExamOnce you feel adequately prepared, schedule your certification exam through an authorized testing center or online platform. Choose a convenient date and location that suits your needs.
7. Take the ExamThe final test will be like the simulated exams you have taken last month. The questions asked in the MS Excel certifications aren’t too challenging if you have a working knowledge of the application. Be confident and you should be doing fine after all those rigorous practice sessions. The exam is more aligned in how candidates would use the application in their regular life and on jobs.
8. Await Exam ResultsAfter completing the exam, you will receive immediate or subsequent notification regarding your results. Successful completion of the exam will earn you the Microsoft Excel certification.
9. Maintain and Renew CertificationSome Microsoft Excel certifications require periodic renewal to ensure that your skills are up to date. Stay informed about the certification maintenance requirements and consider pursuing advanced certifications to enhance your Excel expertise further.
Microsoft Excel Exam Format
The MS MOS exams are all performance-based and are conducted in simulated or live environments. Candidates are asked to perform a series of tasks in MS Excel that help demonstrate their preparedness, knowledge, and skill with the application software. It is a somewhat short project that the candidate is required to prepare within 60 minutes. In a real-world testing situation, marks are based on points in subsequent steps of the solution. The exam results are displayed immediately and you would know if you have passed as soon as you submit it. An official certificate is then mailed to your address within the next couple of weeks.
Kick-start your career growth story with our Professional Certificate Program in Business Analysis. Get a chance to master Excel, Tableau, and Python tools. Start learning now!
Importance of Microsoft Excel Certification
- Demonstrates Proficiency: Obtaining a Microsoft Excel certification validates your skills and proficiency in using the software. It serves as tangible proof to potential employers or clients that you understand Excel's functionalities comprehensively and can effectively utilize its features to perform various tasks.
- Enhances Employability: In today's competitive job market, having a Microsoft Excel certification can significantly enhance your employability. Many organizations require Excel proficiency for positions across various departments, such as finance, data analysis, project management, and administration. A certification demonstrates your commitment to professional development and gives you a competitive edge over other candidates.
- Expands Career Opportunities: With Excel being widely used in industries such as finance, marketing, sales, operations, and human resources, a certification opens up a range of career opportunities. It enables you to apply for roles that specifically demand Excel expertise, such as financial analyst, data analyst, business intelligence specialist, or operations manager.
- Increases Productivity and Efficiency: Excel offers numerous advanced features and functions that can streamline processes, automate calculations, and improve data analysis. By obtaining a certification, you gain in-depth knowledge of these tools, allowing you to work more efficiently and effectively. This leads to increased productivity and better decision-making within your role.
- Boosts Confidence: Having a Microsoft Excel certification can boost your confidence in using the software. It provides a structured learning path and validates your understanding of Excel's functionalities. As a certified professional, you can approach complex tasks with assurance, knowing that you have the necessary skills to tackle them.
- Supports Data Analysis and Reporting: Excel is a powerful tool for data analysis and reporting. A certification equips you with the knowledge to manipulate and analyze data, create insightful visualizations, and generate accurate reports. This skill set is highly valued in organizations that rely on data-driven decision-making.
- Improves Data Accuracy and Integrity: Excel certifications emphasize best data management and organization practices. You learn techniques to ensure data accuracy, reduce errors, and maintain data integrity. These skills are essential for maintaining the quality and reliability of data, particularly when dealing with large datasets.
- Facilitates Collaboration and Communication: Excel is widely used for collaborative projects, where multiple team members work on the same spreadsheet. With a certification, you become proficient in features that facilitate collaboration, such as shared workbooks, track changes, and data merging. This promotes seamless teamwork and effective communication within the organization.
- Enables Advanced Data Manipulation: Advanced Excel certifications cover advanced features like macros, pivot tables, and data modeling. These skills allow you to manipulate and transform data, automate repetitive tasks, and generate sophisticated reports.
- Keeps Pace with Industry Standards: Excel certifications are designed to align with the latest industry standards and updates. By obtaining certification, you ensure that your skills remain current and relevant. This is particularly important in today's rapidly evolving digital landscape, where new features and functionalities are regularly introduced to the software.
Choose the Right Program
Unlock the power of data with Simplilearn's Business Analytics courses. Gain the skills to analyze, interpret, and make informed business decisions. From data visualization to predictive modeling, our comprehensive programs ensure you stay ahead in the dynamic world of analytics. Enroll today and transform your career!
Geo All Geos All Geos India University Purdue Simplilearn IIT Roorkee Course Duration 6 Months 11 Months 6 Months Coding Experience Required No No No Skills You Will Learn 18+ skills including SQL, Tableau, PowerBI and more
Python, Jira, Excel, MySql and more
Additional Benefits Earn 35 PDs/CDUs Capstone from 3 domains and 14+ projects Purdue Alumni Association Membership 24x7 Learning support from mentors Capstone projects involving real world data sets Access to Integrated Practical Labs Caltech CTME Circle Membership Cost $$ $$$$ $$$$ Explore Program Explore Program Explore Program
Get Certified in Excel
Getting a Microsoft Excel Certification is an attainable goal, but it certainly helps with fruitful advancements in your career. Enroll in our Post Graduate Program In Business Analysis, this Excel certificate helps you establish your skills. You are now globally recognized for your ability to work in the MS Excel platform. Apart from recognition among peers, you have all the reasons to ask for better pay for your services and expertise.
1. How long is the Excel certification test?
The duration of the Excel certification test depends on the specific certification and the level being pursued. Generally, the MOS certification exams for Excel have a time limit of around 50-60 minutes per exam. However, the duration of the exam may vary based on the specific exam and the testing provider. It is advisable to check the official certification exam guidelines for the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding the duration of the test.
2. Is Excel certification useful?
Yes, Excel certification is highly useful. It validates your proficiency in using Excel and demonstrates your skills to potential employers. Excel is widely used in various industries for data analysis, financial modeling, project management, and more. Having a certification can enhance your employability, open up career opportunities, and provide a competitive edge in today's job market.
3. Can I get a job with Excel?
Yes, you can get a job with Excel skills. Employers across different industries highly seek proficiency in Excel. Many roles require Excel skills, such as financial analyst, data analyst, business analyst, project manager, and administrative positions. Demonstrating your expertise in Excel through certifications or relevant experience can significantly increase your chances of securing a job. Excel skills are valuable in various job functions that involve data management, analysis, reporting, and decision-making.