Role of Microsoft Excel Certification in Your Career
The Microsoft® Excel Certification validates a professional’s abilities to work with MS Excel applications and tools. A spreadsheet application distributed by Microsoft and the basic of all data entry jobs, it enables the user to be able to use easy spreadsheet functions like graphic tools, calculators, formulas, charts, macro programming language and other pivotal tools. The latest version of the software is MS Excel 10 that allows a wide variety of tools to be used to make database jobs simpler and more comprehensive.
Many recruiters claim that just being proficient in Excel isn’t enough. Candidates need to have an industry standard certification to validate their claim and ease the recruitment process. The Microsoft ® Excel Certification is recognized globally and benefits the candidate with a better recognition and competitive edge over non-certified professionals.
Eligibility and Requirements of MS Excel Certification
There isn’t a professional or academic eligibility to be able to apply for the MS Excel Certification.
Candidates are just required to have the latest software to be installed in their computers to be able to run through the online exam. The requisites include:
- Microsoft Windows Vista SP2 or higher
- MS Office 2010
- .NET Framework 4.0 or higher
- Adobe Flash Player 10.0 or higher
- High Speed Broadband
- Internet Explorer (must)
Once you have applied for the certification exam, you will be scheduled a date and also be provided with self paced practice papers from Microsoft IT Academy.
Quick Facts on How to Get a Microsoft Excel Certification
- The exam is called the Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Excel 2010
- The minimum pass score is 700
- The test is time metered with the maximum duration of 60 minutes
- Exams are scheduled every Friday between 11 AM and 5 PM and at recognized centers
- The test will be invigilated by Microsoft representatives
- No cell phone or networking device is allowed in the examination hall
Steps To Earn a Microsoft Excel Certification
- It is advisable to go for the Microsoft certification study guide before sitting for the MOS exam. The official website of Microsoft to purchase reliable guides like Microsoft Certified Application Specialist Study Guide. If you can, go for more than one guide to compare the information. The MS Excel certification isn’t a very tough task but you need to stay focused and have a complete working knowledge of the application.
- Next download as many practice exams and review the sample objectives to be possibly asked in the exams. These practice tests will not just help you understand and measure your taking skills, but also give a rough idea on the overall structure of professional certification examinations. There are many companies that offer free trial exams. Log onto their websites and ask for a free voucher for Excel certification test. The more you practice, the more comfortable you will be during the final tests.
- Register on Microsoft and other sites for frequent test papers and study guides. These documents will be sent to you over mail. This is also when you must be ready to pay for the training center you will be taking your test at. All the process will just require a month if you are already working with MS Excel for a long time now. Be sure to learn and use the latest features of MS Excel 2010 as certification requires you to be updated.
- The final test will be like the simulated exams that you have undertaken the last month. The questions asked in the MS Excel certifications aren’t tuff if you have a working knowledge of the application. Be confident and you should be doing fine after all those rigorous practice sessions. The exam is more aligned in the way candidates would be using the application in their regular life and on jobs.
- Passing the certification will earn you recognition from Microsoft. This will be mailed to you and you are allowed to take print outs and use the tag alongside your name in CVs.
Microsoft Excel Exam Format
The MS MOS exams are all performance based and are conducted in simulated or live environments. Candidates are asked to perform a series of tasks in MS Excel 2010 that helps demonstrate their preparedness, knowledge and skill with the application software. It is sort of a short project that the candidate is required to prepare within the 60 minutes. A real world testing situation, marks are based on points in subsequent steps of the solution. The exam results are displayed immediately and you would know if you have passed as soon as you submit your papers! An official certificate would be delivered to your address within the next couple of weeks.
Advantages of Microsoft Excel Certification
A Microsoft Excel Certification is mainly for the recruiters who don’t know your capabilities working on the platform. It assures the client or employer of your ability to execute. The exam material also gives something technical to be discussed during the interview. According to a study done by CompTIA, MOS certifications can bring about a 9% increase in salary and as much as 29% in the long run. In a similar survey done among employers, statistics suggest that a recruited feels more comfortable hiring a certified professional even if they demand a greater salary than non-certified ones. In 60% of the cases, an MOS certification has led to a job. Certifications are being considered for better marketability, better recognition and better pay.
Getting a Microsoft Excel Certification isn’t a tough job but it certainly helps with fruitful advancements in your career. This certification helps you establish your skills and getting recognized by no other than Microsoft. You are now globally recognized for your ability to work in MS Excel platform. With little investment, it is advisable for all professionals in the field to go for the certification. Apart from recognition among peers, you have all the reasons to ask for a better pay for your services and expertise.
Microsoft Excel 2013 Foundation Training
Recommended articles for you
Microsoft Excel Basics: The RibbonArticle
7 Tips to Improve Your Basic Microsoft Excel SkillsArticle
MS Excel 2013: 5 Hidden Features that everyone should knowArticle