2020 has forced businesses to reinvent themselves. Brick-and-mortar retailers are taking their shop to the internet -both traditional businesses that never took online seriously are changing their minds, and those that have a website are actively looking for ways to promote it. In the light of these shifts, SEO is no longer an after-thought — even for businesses that might not have known of its existence until now.
Simply put, if you want to get noticed online, attract customers before your competitors can do so, and convince them to buy your products/services, you need SEO.
However, SEO can be a tricky game because the field is constantly changing and evolving. New updates on search algorithms shake up the landscape every now and then. Plus, SEO trends, best practices, and tools come and go at a rapid pace. Getting SEO to work for you isn't easy. Knowing what strategies marketers are using and what's fetching results can help you in this regard. And that's one of the things you can learn by keeping an eye on SEO stats.
Whether you're moving your business into the online world or trying to prove the value of SEO to your clients, here are some impressive SEO stats that will tell you why SEO is essential in 2021 and which areas to focus on to get the maximum returns from investing in SEO. These SEO stats also provide insights to help you set benchmarks when building your business' SEO strategy for 2021 and beyond.
Search Engine Stats
Search engines like Google and Bing are constantly rolling out algorithm updates that include hundreds of factors for ranking websites on search engine results pages (SERPs). Every few months or so, they keep releasing more factors or tweak how the older ones impact their SERPs. This drastically changes the rules of the SEO game ever so frequently. That's why it's important to stay updated with the latest SEO stats in this category.
1. Google continues to rule the search engine roost, accounting for nearly 70% of all searches made globally. (NetMarketShare)
2. Google uses more than 200 ranking factors in their algorithm to determine a website's position in SERPs. (Backlinko)
3. The search engine giant now handles a minimum of 2 trillion searches per year. (Search Engine Land)
4. Websites that load quickly rank significantly higher than those that don't. (Backlinko)
5. Page speed optimization is the number one technical SEO tactic you can use to boost your website's performance. (HubSpot)
6. Condensing images and text could help reduce bounce rates and increase page rank on Google SERPs. (Google)
7. 93% of all online experiences begin on a search engine. (Search Engine Journal)
8. 50.7% of searches happen on mobile vs. 45.5% on desktop. (Statcounter)
9. In 2020, 80% of all search queries in the US had up to three words. (Statista)
10. More than 25% of Google searchers click on the first organic result. (Search Engine Journal)
11. 75% of users never scroll past the first page of search results. (HubSpot)
12. Organic SEO and PPC ads, when used in combination, can generate 25% more clicks and a 27% increase in profits than using either technique alone. (99firms)
SEO Content Stats
"SEO demands content…There is no such thing as SEO without content." — Neil Patel
On a fundamental level, SEO is all about content because it is only through content that you can incorporate keywords into your website. Good content offers a great user experience that keeps potential buyers hooked to your site and ultimately persuades them to buy. When it comes to SEO content strategies, it involves masterful use of keywords, generating quality backlinks, creating engagement through blog posts, and so on.
13. 47% of buyers read at least 3-5 forms of content before engaging with a salesperson. (Demand Gen)
14. Google considers the overall reputation and E-A-T (Expertise, Authoritativeness, and Trustworthiness) of a business and the individuals who publish content. (Search Engine Journal)
15. High-quality backlinks make up 30% of your overall page score in Google. (Quick Sprout)
16. Websites with a blog have 434% more indexed pages than those without one. (HubSpot)
17. Web pages that rank within the top 10 spots on SERPs have an average content length of at least 2000 words for any keyword on Google. (Quick Sprout)
Local SEO Stats
Surveys and research have shown that websites that optimize for local SEO attract more business from relevant local searches, which makes up more than half the searches on Google. This means, by not focusing on local SEO, you could lose out on a big chunk of potential customers. Local SEO refers to SEO techniques to help a website rank higher in search results related to products/services in their local area.
If you're wondering why or if you should invest in Local SEO, here are some SEO stats that might help you decide.
18. 72% of consumers who did a local search ended up visiting a store within five miles. (HubSpot)
19. 88% of local searches on a mobile device call or visit the business within 24 hours. (Nectafy)
20. Online is where 97% of people get their information about a local company. (SEO Tribunal)
21. Searches with keywords "Near me" or "close by" grew by more than 900% over two years. (Chat Meter)
22. 61% of consumers who search on mobile are more likely to contact a local business with a mobile-friendly site. (HubSpot)
23. 28% of the time, local searches lead to purchases. (Joel House Search Media)
Video SEO Stats
When we think of search engines, usually the names Google, Bing, and Yahoo come to mind. Yet, with more than 2 billion monthly active users, YouTube serves as one of the largest search engines for nearly one-third of the internet.
However, it's not only YouTube that's relevant for businesses. Videos on websites and shared via social media platforms have tremendous SEO impact in terms of boosting the online visibility of a business, driving more traffic to their site, and helping them climb up in search engine rankings. Here are some eye-opening video SEO stats that will convince you to invest in video, if you aren't already.
24. Online video now accounts for half of all traffic on mobile alone, and 59% of senior executives say that they will opt for video when given a choice between video and text. (Search Engine Watch)
25. In 2021, people, on average, will spend 100 minutes a day watching videos online. (Marketing Charts)
26. Video is 50X more likely to appear on the first page of search results compared to plain text. (Forrester Research)
27. Video on a landing page increases its chances of showing up on the first page of Google by 53%. (Strother Communications Group)
28. 87% of video marketers have experienced increased traffic to their website from video, while 80% say video has directly boosted their sales. (HubSpot)
29. Nearly 90% of video marketers experience a good return on investment. (Wyzowl)
30. Posts that have videos in them earn more backlinks and witness a 157% increase in search traffic. (Search Engine People)
Master many facets of SEO including keyword research, technical SEO, link building, analytics, with the Search Engine Optimization training course.
Get Inspired by These SEO Stats and Learn How to Build Successful SEO Campaigns!
As an indispensable part of digital marketing, SEO demands your attention if you're looking to carve a career in digital marketing or drive effective campaigns online for your company or clients.
With increasing competition in the online space, SEO is one of the most powerful weapons for a business to survive, stand out, and succeed. To make the most out of SEO techniques and tools, you must have the requisite knowledge and skills.
Simplilearn's SkillUp offers a range of free digital marketing course that can equip you with a detailed understanding of SEO basics and concepts. You can take your SEO education to the next level with Simplilearn's Advanced Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Certification Program, along with a whole range of digital marketing courses. These expert-led courses help you master every form and facet of SEO, including keyword management and research, on-page and off-page optimization, link building, URL building, SEO analytics, and more.
Start your SEO journey with Simplilearn today and become an industry-ready SEO professional.