Insufficient planning, unsuitable architecture, and an inability to scale are common causes of failure in AI projects. Gartner predicts that until 2023, half of all IT executives will have trouble taking their AI initiatives from the concept validation phase into full production.
Organizations are always on the lookout for AI architects to aid in the formulation of architectural strategy, the development of operations, the identification of tools and features, and the scaling of artificial intelligence activities.
In this article, we'll discuss what it takes to become an AI architect, what their duties are, and how they vary from those of an AI engineer.
What Is an AI Architect?
AI architects work in the field of information technology to develop and implement infrastructure for applications, databases, and computer networks. When it comes to governing and scaling AI efforts, they serve as the connecting tissue between data analysts, database administrators, programmers, operators (DevOps, DataOps, MLOps), and business unit executives.
AI Engineer vs. AI Architect
With the use of machine learning techniques and neural networks, an AI engineer may construct AI models that can be utilized to gain valuable business information and drive enterprise-wide decision-making.
Artificial engineers develop either modest or powerful AI systems, tailored to certain purposes. Software engineers, data scientists, and programmers all need a firm grasp of the fundamentals to succeed as AI engineers. For data processing and the creation and upkeep of AI systems, they use a wide variety of tools and methods.
While an AI architect is responsible for developing and maintaining infrastructure utilizing state-of-the-art AI technology paradigms and is required to provide concrete results for the customers they serve. They must be able to empathize with customers and then develop solutions that address their demands.
For this reason, each enterprise that leverages AI or machine learning must have an AI architect. Data analysis is a crucial skill for AI architects. This requires both an in-depth familiarity with AI application frameworks and the underlying infrastructure on which they are operating.
AI Architect Job Role
Due to the fact that AI has a wide variety of deployment patterns and use cases, AI architects need to be capable of performing the following duties:
- Assist digital transformation initiatives with the help of data scientists and AI experts by finding and testing use cases. Consult with business stakeholders on the viability of use cases and architectural style to help transform the objective of business executives into a technological execution that can be achieved. Also, draw people's attention to efforts that aren't complementary or use cases that won't work.
- Gather feedback from a wide variety of parties, including corporate customers, data analysts, security specialists, data engineers and strategists, and the IT operations department, and use that information to shape the procedures and final products so that they are in line with current and future needs.
- Take the lead in deciding the open-source and commercial tools to use to build the AI and design its architecture. Choose a deployment type (cloud, on-premises, or hybrid) and make sure the new tools work well with the ones that are already there for data management and analytics.
- Focusing on ongoing improvement, conduct an evaluation of AI tools and methods, including data, algorithms, and software development. Make sure there's some way to get feedback on AI services, something that can help in adjusting the models and retraining AI if necessary.
- Foresee and counter threats like training data contamination, AI model theft, and hostile samples by collaborating with security professionals. Keep up with new rules, and figure out how to apply them to current best methods.
AI Architect Responsibilities
It is required of an AI architect to create and manage architecture using the most advanced AI technology foundations, as well as give practical solutions to the customers with whom they collaborate. They must be able to empathize with customers and then develop solutions that address their demands.
Additionally, they have to manage the design in light of constraints, such as competing needs and other limits. All these cases need very nuanced assessments that can be made only by the most experienced AI experts.
An AI architect must be well-versed in the wide range of AI-related tools and technologies, have a firm grasp on the pulse of the industry, and be able to adapt quickly to new developments in order to choose the most appropriate technology for every given project.
AI Architect Skills
Because AI may be used in such a broad variety of contexts and deployed in so many different ways, architects of AI systems need to possess a diversified set of skills, including the following:
You need to be acquainted with the following technical abilities if you want to have a successful career as an AI Architect.
- Knowledge of the various components and structural trade-offs implicated in the whole data processing, administration, simulation techniques, deployment, and production processes.
- Understanding of the processes and systems that make up Machine Learning and Deep Learning pipelines.
- Mastery of ML and Deep Learning frameworks (like TensorFlow) and ML methodologies
- Familiarity with sophisticated analytics tools (like SAS, R, and Python)
- Awareness of applied mathematics (such as neural networks and random forests)
Technical expertise is necessary, but it's not enough. You need to be well-versed in these soft skills.
1. Thought Leadership
AI architects should act as agents of change to promote an AI-centric culture transformation across the company. IT executives who offer digital thought leadership as a whole need to be presented with a realistic picture of the limits and hazards associated with AI.
2. Collaborative Mindset
AI Architects need to work closely with data scientists, database administrators, database administrators, ML engineers, other engineers, business unit executives, and CxOs and harmonize the connections between them all to guarantee that AI platforms meet both business and technological objectives.
AI Architect Salary
There is a possibility that the salary will vary depending on the company, as well as the level of knowledge and experience that you bring with you. The average annual AI Architect Salary in the United States and India is listed below.
Salary in the US
The national average salary for an artificial intelligence architect in the United States is $181,500 per year, which is equivalent to $93.08 per hour. The starting salary for an entry-level position is $170,001 per year, while the typical maximum salary for an experienced worker is $234,900 per year.
Salary in India
In India, the average salary for an artificial intelligence architect is INR 2,750,000 per year, which is equivalent to 1,410 per hour. Beginning salaries range from 2,250,000 to 2,880,000 rupees annually for most entry-level jobs, while experienced employees may earn up to 2,880,000 yen annually on average.
AI Architect Job Outlook
There are renowned firms currently in need of AI Architects and providing attractive compensation packages to prospective candidates. Positions available at Microsoft, Amazon Web Services (AWS), and Google include:
- Conversational AI Architect
- Associate Cloud Architect
- Artificial Intelligence Solution Architect
- Data, Analytics, and AI Architect
- AWS Data & AI Solution Architect
- Cloud Solution Architect - Data & AI, Data & Analytics
1. Is an AI architect a good career?
A career in AI is a safe bet for anyone seeking a high salary and job security. Health, education, branding, retail, and e-commerce, as well as banking and finance, are just some of the sectors that are already making extensive use of AI and machine learning.
2. What do you need to become an AI architect?
The use of artificial intelligence in several domains is occurring at a breakneck speed. The business world is rapidly adopting AI, and if you become an AI architect, you may position yourself to take advantage of many employment prospects and excellent compensation.
3. What is the salary of an AI architect?
An AI architect can expect to earn an average of $181,500 a year in the United States, while in India, they can expect to earn an average of 2,750,000 rupees.
4. Do architects use AI?
Yes, AI is used by architects for comprehensive data analysis and the development of time-saving models.
5. Is AI difficult to learn?
Artificial intelligence is not difficult to pick up. Although mastering AI is an ongoing process, it only takes roughly 5 to 6 months to get a command of the fundamentals, including data science, ANNs, TensorFlow foundations, and NLP implementations.
6. Who earns more AI or data science?
Data scientists can make up to 34.8 lakhs a year, while AI engineers can make up to 50 lakhs, but these figures vary widely depending on experience and expertise.
Get a Professional Certification in AI From Simplilearn
There is a rising demand for an AI architect position as a result of the increasing diversity of Artificial Intelligence projects, services, and deployment approaches. However, AI architects must be creative and innovative with a strong understanding of AI in order to identify opportunities and handle possible repercussions.
Simplilearn offers a Caltech AI Course that will allow you to hone your expertise in the field of artificial intelligence. Our interactive learning style is at the heart of our AI Certification AI Certification, which also features live sessions from industry experts from across the world, as well as labs and industrial projects.