Rising malware and phishing attacks along with increasing demand for cloud-based cyber security solutions have resulted in the steady growth of the cybersecurity market. The worldwide cybersecurity market valued at $197.36 billion in 2020 is expected to record a compound annual growth rate of 9.5% and reach $478.68 billion by 2030. The growth statistics along with the zero percent unemployment rate have made cybersecurity one of the most sought-after careers globally.
Top Encryption Software
Encryption is the process of sending information in a way that can’t be accessed by third parties. The data is delivered through a very complex algorithm running on both the sender and receiver ends. This can be accomplished by using encryption software.
Encryption software uses a key made of long strings of numbers to lock and unlock data. This ensures that the data cannot be accessed again unless it is decrypted by a device possessing the key. Following are some of the top encryption software for ensuring maximum security:
AxCrypt, a powerful solution that offers tools for data protection and security, is best suited for individuals and small businesses. It protects files using either 128-bit or 256-bit AES encryption and allows convenient file access through a mobile app version. AxCrypt offers cloud storage capabilities and extends encryption standards to cloud services such as Google Drive, Dropbox, and AWS. It also has a free version that is suitable for individual use as it can be too limited for businesses. It is a multilingual software.
- Strong encryption
- Availability of a free version
- Uncomplicated user functionality
- Secured sharing via public-key cryptography
- Secure file deletion
- Cloud storage encryption
- Mostly suitable for mobile use
- Friction with mobile apps
- Risky for PCs that are not locally protected
2. IBM Security Guardium
IBM Security Guardium is a data security platform that facilitates encryption and decryption functions with the least performance impact. It is made up of a suite of security tools that focuses on simplifying data management and protection. It provides encryption solutions, activity tracking, data discovery, vulnerability scanning, data reporting, and a plethora of other features.
IBM Security Guardium is an on-request subscription-based service best-suited for businesses in need of an all-in-one data security and management solution.
- Offers GDPR, PCI DSS, CCPA, and HIPAA compliance and data reporting
- Supports 10,000+ agents
- Graphical interfaces can be improved
VeraCrypt is an enterprise-grade encryption software providing services for Windows, Linux, and macOS operating systems. It uses details such as volume size, location, and specified hashing algorithms for automatically encrypting data and establishing partitions in the network. It is an open-source that is continuously enhanced with upgraded security improvements. The basic version offered by VeraCrypt is absolutely free, robust, and suitable for matching specific business needs.
- Provides protection against brute-force attacks
- Free basic version
- Simple user functionality (once downloaded)
- Selective appeal
- Confusing and difficult downloading process
NordLocker, developed by the makers of the cybersecurity giant, NordVPN, is a file encryption software designed for Windows and macOS. It offers both AES-256 and 4096-bit encryption. The software operates on multiple platforms, and along with protecting device data, it also extends encryption features to cloud services. Users are allowed to add or remove files from encrypted NordLock folders using the simple drag-and-drop feature.
- Intuitive user interface
- Allows secure sharing of encrypted files
- Free version available (with limited capacity)
- Lacks security for encrypted file deletion
- Lacks two-factor authentication
Boxcryptor is an encryption software intended for individuals and businesses who are more dependent on cloud storage than on-premise services. It uses a blend of AES 256-bit encryption and RSA encryption to offer end-to-end encryption for 30 popular cloud services. The free version of Boxcryptor provides limited features for two devices.
- Cloud-based encryption
- Availability of free version
- Encryption features for 30 cloud services
- AES 256-bit encryption and RSA encryption
- Not suitable for on-premise services
- Free version suitable for only two devices
CryptoForge is text-only encryption software that offers uncomplicated data protection and secured data deletion based on context-menu outlook. The software is easy to install and has a user-friendly interface. Users can avail features by right-clicking on the context menu.
- Layers 1-4 encryption algorithms
- Simple context-menu-based approach
- Filename and text encryption
- Secure data deletion
- Passphrase memory
- Passphrase memory can be risky if used carelessly
- Fewer features compared to other encryption software
7-Zip, a simple encryption software providing good quality encryption for data stored and in transit, is best suited for individuals and small businesses. Apart from operating as an archive utility tool, 7-Zip decreases storage space and enhances transmission speed by compressing files. It is free-to-use software available on Windows, Linux, and macOS.
- Simple user interface
- Available on Windows, Linux, and macOS
- Lacks additional range of features
- Not suitable for mid and large-sized businesses
CertainSafe is an efficient and cloud-focused encryption software that ensures compliance with industry regulations. It allows users to store private messages, images, videos, documents, etc., and communicate or collaborate with others via this software. It also provides automated protection for business applications and databases.
- Secured chat and file sharing
- Maintains past file versions
- Free trial
- Selective approach
- Carelessness with passwords and security answers can result in the loss of all access.
- Lack of office integration
9. Folder Lock
Folder Lock, developed by NewSoftwares, offers bullet-proof encryption services for any device containing sensitive data. It allows individuals to protect their private videos, contacts, images, documents, audio recordings, notes, etc., using powerful security tools. Individuals can also use this software for recording unauthorized login attempts, setting a decoy password, backing up passwords, getting notifications about possible brute-force attacks, etc.
- Encrypted lockers for storing personal files
- Secured backup
- File shredding
- Self-decrypting files
- Additional features
- The product serial number is set as the master password by default
- Locked files are unencrypted
- Secured backup necessitates subscription
CrytoExpert is one of the most popular and powerful encryption software choices for Windows desktop software security. It allows users to backup a wide variety of files, including but not limited to certifications, Excel, Word, Powerpoint files, email databases, and multimedia files. It protects vaults of all sizes using Cast, Blowfish, 3DES, and 266-bit encryption. It is compatible with 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7, 8, and 10.
- Numerous powerful encryption techniques
- Easy user interface
- Two-factor authentication
- No secured deletions
- Possibility of receiving odd error texts.
Looking forward to a career in Cyber Security? Then check out the Certified Ethical Hacking Course and get skilled. Enroll now!
Unleash Your True Potential With Simplilearn
Individuals interested in starting or advancing a career in the cybersecurity industry must constantly adapt themselves according to the ever-changing nature of the industry. They might do so by working on independent cybersecurity projects and strengthening their relevant skills. The UCI Cybersecurity Bootcamp offered by Simplilearn focuses on real-world applications to help individuals understand every detail of cybersecurity and become industry-ready in just six months.