Landing a dream job not just requires a strong resume and technical knowledge, it also involves being able to answer difficult HR interview questions gracefully. With that in mind, we sought out some of the most challenging HR questions and provided expert advice on how to answer them. Read on to learn more!
Importance of HR Interview Questions
The goal of any HR interview is to assess a candidate's qualifications for the job they are interviewing for. HR interview questions help interviewers to determine whether or not a candidate is a good fit for the desired position. Every question is thoughtfully crafted to draw information that will either support or detract from a candidate's suitability. The most common questions in HR interviews are about a candidate's past experiences, education, and skills.
Most Popular HR Interview Questions
1. Tell me about yourself
2. What are your strengths and weaknesses?
3. Tell me about an experience when you faced difficulty at work while working on a project?
HR Interview Questions and Answers for Freshers
1. Tell me something about yourself?
This question is usually the first question in an interview, and it is a way to break the ice. You should answer this question by giving a brief overview of your education, work experience, and skills. You should not go into too much detail, but you should provide the interviewer with enough information to determine if you are a good fit.
Thank you for allowing me to introduce myself. My name is Aman and I am from Meerut City in Uttar Pradesh. I completed my bachelor of technology with the CSE branch from XYZ University.
First of all, I want to introduce myself with my soft skills. I am optimistic, smart, self-confident, hardworking, and have a positive mindset. My technical skills include proficiency in Java programming language, C programming language, and HTML. Also, I have a good command of MS Excel and web technologies.
My interests include dancing, Internet surfing, chess, and listening to music. In my leisure time, I enjoy reading news articles on my mobile phone.
2. What are your strengths?
When answering this question, you should focus on your strengths related to the job you are applying for. For example, suppose you are applying for a position in customer service. In that case, you might say that your strengths include excellent customer service skills, problem-solving skills, and the ability to stay calm under pressure.
My time management skills are exceptional, and I'm well-organized, efficient, and systematic. I enjoy excelling at my job.
3. Why are you interested in this job?
Be sure to do your research on the company before you go in for the interview. Talk about how your skills and experiences make you the right candidate for the job.
It's an honor and a privilege to work for an established company like yours. As I researched the job opening you have, I realized that my abilities align with your requirements. Through this job, I can showcase my technical skills to help the company's development.
4. Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
This is a question that is often asked in job interviews. It is meant to assess your long-term goals and whether they are aligned with the company's. It can also be used to gauge your ambition and determination.
Over five years, I'd love to take advantage of every opportunity the company will give me to gain knowledge through the external and internal training programs. My dream career objective is to be a Technical Architect. Hence, I am looking forward to creating different products that embody the mission of this company and contribute to making a positive impact while speeding up my path to becoming a Tech Architect.
5. Would you like to work overtime or odd hours?
You need to be very sincere in answering this question. Do not tell a fake story or make a compromise to get the job. If you are comfortable with overtime working, you could say this:
I understand that putting extra effort impacts the company's development, so I'm happy. If it means I'm contributing to the company, I'll be glad to contribute.
HR Interview Questions and Answers for Experience
1. Why did you leave your last job?
Be very cautious in answering this query. Avoid blaming employers for their mistakes and stating that "Salary was less or poor work management." Instead of this, you can say that:
It's a professional shift. I've gained much from my last job, but now I'm seeking new challenges to expand my perspectives and gain an entirely new set of skills.
2. How do you handle stress, pressure, and anxiety?
It is a common interview question to determine your performance under pressure and stress.
Under pressure and stress, I usually utilize my soft skills and handle every situation calmly. I also perform physical exercises and mind relaxing activities like meditation to deal with work stress and pressure.
3. Is there anything that makes you different from other candidates?
You have to answer this question in a way that showcases your strengths and qualities. Talk about the things that make you stand out from other candidates. Don't be afraid to brag a little bit – after all, you want to show the interviewer that you're the best.
There are a few things that make me different from other candidates. First, I have a lot of experience working with different teams and managing projects. I’m also great at communicating with people, so I can easily build relationships with clients and coworkers. Finally, I have a strong interest in learning new things and taking on new challenges.
4. Tell me about a time when you were not satisfied with your performance?
There are a few reasons why interviewers might ask this question. One possibility is that the interviewer wants to understand if you can take feedback and improve upon your weaknesses. They may also be looking to see if you can admit when you have made a mistake and how you coped with the situation.
I was not satisfied with my performance when assigned to lead a project and failed to meet the deadline. I felt like I let my team down and was very disappointed. I learned that it is important to set realistic goals and communicate with team members if there are any delays.
5. Tell me about a time when you experienced difficulty at work while working on a project?
The interviewer wants to know how you handle difficult situations. They are looking for a pattern of behavior, so they want to know about a time when you had difficulty with a project. They will also want to see how you combated that situation and what you learned from the experience.
The most difficult project I ever worked on was a website redevelopment project. The client had very specific and detailed requirements, and they were constantly changing their mind about what they wanted. This caused a lot of reworking, and it wasn't easy to keep the project on track. In the end, the client was happy with the final product, but it was a very stressful experience.
Things to Keep in Mind During HR Interview
It's important to remember that an HR interview is a chance for the interviewer to learn about you, but it's also an opportunity for you to learn about the company. As such, there are a few things you should keep in mind during the interview.
- Be respectful: Be professional and courteous to everyone you encounter during the interview, from the receptionist to the interviewer.
- Dress appropriately: Dress yourself like a professional. Do not go with the casual dressing, also be sure that what you wear is neat and tidy.
- During HR interviews, recruiters will try to test your attitude, including your level of flexibility, honesty, desire to continue learning, and diligence. Make sure to show your positive attitude during the interview.
- When answering questions, always remember not to talk for an excessively long time. Make sure you give concise and precise answers.
- If you don't understand any questions during an interview, you should ask the interviewer for clarification, instead of giving the wrong answer.
Other Frequently Asked HR Questions
1. What should I prepare for the HR interview?
In order to prepare for your HR interview, you should:
- Research the company you are interviewing with
- Research the person interviewing you if possible
- Read and understand the job description and everything that it entails
- Review your CV and be prepared to answer questions related to it
- Ensure to speak clearly and highlight everything that makes you right for the job
2. How do I pass HR interview questions?
Passing an HR interview question isn’t difficult at all. Here’s how you can pass your HR interview:
- Research the company, the job profile, and the roles and responsibilities of the job
- Make sure you dress appropriately for your interview, as first impressions are important
- Make sure to go over and summarize the important pointers in your resume
- Highlight your wins and accomplishments
- Make sure to highlight your skills that make you right for this job
With these points, you can easily pass your HR interview questions.
3. What is being asked in an HR interview?
The HR round is conducted by a human resource professional at the start of the hiring process. This is an initial screening to ensure that you are the right candidate for the role. The HR interview includes questions such as general information about previous job roles, core skills, qualifications, weaknesses and salary expectations.
4. What are tricky interview questions?
Tricky questions are often open-ended questions that help people understand how you would handle a certain situation.
Here are some examples of tricky interview questions:
- What are some of your weaknesses?
- Why do you want to work with us?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- Why are you leaving your current company?
- Why is there a gap in your work history?
- Tell me about a time you made a mistake.
- What can you offer us that other candidates can't?
5. What are your weaknesses?
There is no easy way to answer this question, but there are ways that allow you to highlight your skills without making it sound negative. The best way to answer this question is to select a skill that is not relevant to the position you are applying for and then stress how you are practically addressing this weakness. The most common weakness that people use are impatience, multitasking, procrastination, self-criticism, perfectionist, etc.
6. What are the 5 hardest interview questions?
In an HR interview, the 5 hardest questions are:
- Tell Me About Yourself
- Tell me about a time you made a mistake and how you dealt with it
- Describe a time you dealt with a difficult colleague and how did you resolve it?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- Why do you want this job?
7. What are tricky interview questions?
Tricky interview questions are questions that are meant to either stump you, or force you to think before you answer. These questions are usually included to garner information about the applicant such as communication skills, soft skills, ability to work with other people, how the applicant handles stress or conflict, etc. What are some of your weaknesses is one of the most common tricky question. There is no right or wrong answer for tricky questions, so make sure you answer them to the best of your ability.
Enroll to Our Master’s or PGP Program For Working Professionals
At Simplilearn, we offer online masters and PGP programs from one of the top universities in the world. Check out and sign up today for these courses to boost your career.
Created in partnership with University of Massachusetts Amherst, this post graduate course comtains everything you’ll need to master project management. You’ll learn the operational and leadership skills required to deliver large, complex, transformational projects.
This Post Graduate program has also been created in partnership with University of Massachusetts Amherst and will cover skills such as lean management, agile, and six sigma while helping you master tools such as Jira, Excel, and Minitab.
This article provides a list of the top HR interview questions and answers. By preparing for these questions, you can walk into your interview with confidence and can be ready to face any question thrown your way. Be prepared for your upcoming HR interview, and best wishes from the Simplilearn Team!
How do I talk to HR in an interview?
HR plays a crucial role in the hiring process, and the interview with HR is an opportunity to showcase your professionalism, communication skills, and interest in the company. Treat this conversation with the same importance as any other part of the interview process.
How can I impress HR?
By being well-prepared, positive, and enthusiastic, you can make a lasting impression on HR and increase your chances of securing the job or advancing in the hiring process.
What are some common mistakes to avoid in HR interviews?
Some common mistakes to avoid in HR interviews include the following:
- Not being prepared.
- Not being clear and concise.
- Not answering the question that was asked.
- Talking too much.
- Not asking any questions.
What are some questions I should ask the interviewer?
At the end of the interview, you will have the opportunity to ask the interviewer questions. This is your chance to learn more about the company and the position. Some questions you could ask include:
- What are the biggest challenges facing the company right now?
- What are the opportunities for growth in this position?
- What is the company culture like?
- What are your expectations for this role?