The mobile gadgets market has grown immensely in the last few years. The latest advancements in software and applications have made it a competitive market. To sustain it, regular testing of mobiles for their performance, functioning, compatibility, use, etc. is necessary. This can be done manually as well as automatically.
The candidate must possess the necessary skills and theoretical and practical knowledge to work in the mobile testing field. The average annual salary of mobile testers is Rs 3 Lakhs per annum.
Top Mobile Testing Interview Questions and Answers
1. Define the application Testing Process.
Application Testing Process is the procedure to test the mobile software using mobile testing techniques and skills. A specialized software tester does this. It is a continuous process starting from the development of the software. Software is tested for its performance, utility, and reliability.
2. List different types of mobile testing.
There are ten types of app testing
- Installation testing
- Functional testing
- Compatibility testing
- Usability testing
- Acceptance testing
- Performance testing
- Security testing
- Localization testing
- Interruption testing
- Recovery testing
3. What are the benefits of App testing?
The benefits of app testing are
- It makes the app bugs-free and smoothes for use.
- It improves the appearance and user experience.
- It increases the market for the app.
4. Who does the app test?
Mostly app developers test the app for performance. They have a set of questions to be checked. Sometimes, stakeholders like management, owners, users, etc., are also involved in the process.
5. What mistakes should be avoided during app tests?
The tester must-
- Not start without an objective. Know the requirements.
- Lay a plan for the testing procedure.
- Not test everything together. It can lead to confusion.
- Run the test on actual devices and not only on simulators or emulators.
- Not focus on the just interface. Overall testing should be done.
6. What does BrowserStack do?
BrowserStack helps in-app testing on real devices. It provides App Live and App Automate for on-demand access to real devices. It provides access to thousands of real Android and iOS devices for automated and manual tests.
7. What is the difference between simulators and emulators?
It virtualizes all aspects of testing a real device.
They validate application flows but not in a real environment.
They mimic hardware and OS
They don’t mimic hardware or OS
They are best for testing external behavior
They are best for testing internal behavior
For example- for testing calculations
For example – for internal hardware test
8. What are the advantages of using a real mobile device for testing?
There are various advantages of using a real device
- Testing on the device that will be used later avoids any errors that might arise while using a simulator.
- Using a real device validates the user interface.
- Real devices improve performance and reliability.
- It improves hardware and sensory operations.
9. What are WAP and Web testing?
WAP testing is the testing of wireless application protocols used in network applications. But, Web testing is the testing of web applications like websites.
10. List a few Android Testing Strategies
Few testing strategies are
- Unit Test
- Integration Test
- Operation Test
- System Test
11. What are possible bugs found during mobile testing?
Few bugs are
- Block - unable to do anything unless you reboot your device
- Major - a particular feature function doesn’t work
- Critical – device system crashes while testing
- Minor – GUI bugs
12. Describe A/B testing on iOS devices
It has three steps
- Configuration - It prepares two versions of the iOS app (A&B) and tests metric
- Testing - Testing iOS versions on devices simultaneously
- Analyzing - Selecting better versions
13. What are the features of monkey tools?
There are four basic features
- Basic configuration options
- Operational constraints
- Event types and frequencies
- Debugging options
14. When should one choose manual testing?
- If an application needs testing a second time
- If the application has a new function
15. When does one need to automate testing?
- When regression tests need to be repeated
- When the app is tested for complex situations
16. What problems can occur during mobile testing in cloud computing?
Various problems can arise
- High costs
- Network connection problems
- Subscription model
- Automation is time-consuming
- Automation needs to be used within the framework
17. How can one test CPU usage on a device?
Various apps can be installed from the app store that records the information about the operating processes on the device. Some apps are- CPU Stats, CPU-Z, CPU Monitor, etc.
18. On which networks app process testing can be done?
Testing can be done using 2G, 3G, 4G, and Wifi. It is best to check the application performance on 2G.
19. What are the extensions for Android and iOS files?
.apk (Android application package)
20. What features cannot be tested on the emulator/simulator?
- Device camera
- Device battery
- Distractions (calls or SMS)
- Device memory
1. What are the stages of mobile testing?
The stages of mobile application testing are:
1. Preparation and Strategy Formation
This is the foundation step where planning for app testing is laid. It involves finding resources, target devices, step-by-step procedures, achievable targets, etc.
2. Identifying Essential Testing Types
Since the applications are run on different interfaces, they must be compatible and easy to use. Hence, automated and cloud simulator testings are done to ensure this manual.
3. Designing Test Script and Test Case
Test scripts or cases are steps that help in application test execution. These are necessary for the smooth functioning of the application.
4. Setting Testing Environment
The testing environment includes the codes and devices used for app testing. Setting an appropriate environment is necessary for proper testing.
5. Automated and Manual Testing
The functioning of the app is tested in manual and automated ways. It helps in finding errors and rectifying them for better performance.
6. Usability and User Interface Testing
Usability refers to the simplicity of the interface and its use. The app is tested for efficient use by the user.
7. Compatibility Testing
Compatibility refers to acceptance by different browsers, devices, and networks to run the application. Good compatibility means fewer bugs.
8. Performance Testing
Performance testing is done under different conditions and usages. It confirms the working abilities of the app.
9. Security Testing
Security testing is done to ensure the app's safety from unauthorized access. It reduces the risk of outside intervention.
10. Beta testing
Beta testing is checking the app's stability and identifying errors and their solutions before releasing it for use.
2. Which tool is used for mobile testing?
Some prominently used tools for testing are
- Robot Framework
3. What is an emulator in mobile testing?
An Emulator is a virtual device that mimics a real device (hardware or OS) to test the app.
4. What is the purpose of mobile testing?
A vast number of users use mobile apps. To reach maximum users, the app must be efficient enough. Hence, app testing becomes necessary. It will fix the bugs and errors and make it compatible and easier to use.
If you're eager to gain the skills required to work in a challenging, rewarding, and dynamic IT role - we've got your back! Discover the endless opportunities through this innovative Post Graduate Program in Full Stack Web Development course designed by our partners at Caltech CTME. Enroll today!
Now that you have gone through the most important and commonly asked mobile testing interview questions and answers, you can now go ahead and answer the interviews confidently. If you are looking to further enhance your skills in the software development domain, then you can go ahead and enroll in Simplilearn’s Post Graduate Program in Full Stack Web Development which is created in collaboration with Caltech CTME. This course can help you hone the skills and make you job-ready at the end of just 6 months.
If you have any doubts or queries regarding the article, feel free to post them in the comments below and our team will get back to you at the earliest.