Today, we will understand what is a project management application and how it can help your organization. Also, we will have a look at a few of the most used project management tools available.
Project Management Tools Definition: Businesses work on multiple projects at the same time. They form teams of personnel and assign them to experienced leaders who take the responsibility of ensuring the success of the project and timely completion. This takes a lot of work to be completed in a well-organized manner and within their designated time frames. A project planning app helps manage business projects in one common platform. It ensures visibility of the progress of each project in one integrated system.
Be it budget management, ensuring the team members’ collaboration, or managing the involved resources, all factors are equally important when running a project. Assigning a task to members, reviewing the status of the work assigned, keeping track of the timeline, ensuring the ease of communication, and allowing the managers and leaders to make sure the tasks are completed in a timely manner.
Project Management App Features
The project management app is aimed at improving the efficiency and productivity of the team members, thus improving the overall project quality.
Before choosing the project management software for your organization, here are a few features that an ideal project management app should provide:
- It should let the team-leaders hold discussions over the application’s platform and direct messages both privately and collectively to the members.
- It should be able to send a notification to the members over SMS or an email so that they don’t have to log in to the tool to check all the updates.
- It should facilitate the storage of documents in a central database that should be accessible by all the members. Also, the documents could be password protected so that the privacy of the documents can be ensured.
- A mobile app should be provided so that team members working remotely can access the project management system with ease and at their convenience.
- Visualizations help to see the progress of multiple projects running together. Visualizations in the form of Gantt Charts are useful in showing the timelines. They could be included in the app to enable efficient reporting.
Learning the Use of a Project Management Tool
An organization always looks out for hiring people with proven leadership skills. A project management professional can help any business use the latest available technologies to achieve an increase in the productivity of the team members, which results in the completion of projects within the stipulated time period. This gives you an edge as you would have a basic knowledge of project handling, project cost estimation, engineering economics and leadership skills. This is why one must consider pursuing a project management course.
Advantages of Using a Project Management Application:
- A Project Management tool helps establish a hierarchy of the execution steps that have to be followed. It helps the team members to complete the tasks sequentially and on time.
- Once all the tasks are assigned, the project management tool can be used to monitor the progress of each individual task.
- One of the best features of the project management apps is the project management tools documentation. A central document storage system makes it easier to share files and folders across all the team members.
- A calendar can be integrated into the project management tool so that this can be used to keep track of the deadlines of each individual task, the entire project as a whole, and also schedule meetings.
- The flow of work improves as this app provides a common platform for all the team members to collaborate over. This ensures teamwork, thereby increasing productivity and ensuring the success of each project.
With all of the aspects, let’s have a look at the best project management tools and techniques:
ASANA is one of the best project management apps available. It facilitates the use of dashboards and conversations. The TEAM PAGES feature can be used to share messages with the entire team. There is also a smart box feature that shows the notifications only important to a particular team member. ASANA can easily be integrated with other data sources like Google Drive, Github, Dropbox, and many more.
Basecamp is a very popular project management tool. It offers many collaboration facilities. Users can put in their comments in a dedicated area that is meant for discussion only, Updates can be sent via emails. However, in this application, it is not possible to add deadlines for each individual task.
JIRA is the most used project management software by various organizations that work on the Agile SDLC principle. The teams can create Kanban boards, custom scrum boards and can use the real-time reporting facilities. Bugs can easily be tracked and resolved.
Teamwork Project Management packs all the essential project tracking abilities that a user can ask for. It is quite easy to use and is intuitive. We can add milestones, task management, conversation boxes, files storage, and also visualizations like a Gantt Chart. Database management is also possible with the inclusion of DropBox, Google Drive, etc.
Wrike is a cloud-based project management software. This free project management app can easily be integrated with Google Apps, Excel, and other software. Users can edit, create, and view documents directly from their email ID. It is the best free task management software available for small teams. This app supports the best use of Google project management tools.
Microsoft Project Management Software
Also called MS Project, it has been in the business for nearly three decades in various forms. It is still very widely used for complex projects. Microsoft Project management tools facilitate strong reporting capabilities and can be used to create built-in and customized reports which can be extracted to a PowerPoint slide. This software is mainly used by trained professionals who know their way to extract the best out of this app.
Zoho is a free project management app that comes with all the standard features of any other software app. It facilitates the use of Gantt charts, integration with other platforms, a basic built-in tracking system, and allows basic reporting abilities. This free task management app is cloud-based and works well for midsize organizations.
Do you have the right skills for the role of a project manager? Take up this PMP Practice Test and assess yourself.
Which One’s Right For You?
With many options available, it becomes difficult choosing the right project management app for your organization. The tools available more or less have similar features, but the way these features are packed makes the difference. There are many factors like the size of the team, features of the task management software, etc. which should be considered before finalizing on one project management app.
Having the right project management app is essential in achieving overall project success. Therefore, it is important that before going for any project management app, you should look for the features that you think will be most valuable for your business and make the right choice.
You can also enroll in our PMP Certification Training Course to learn new trends, emerging practices, tailoring considerations, and core competencies required of a Project Management professional. Placing a greater emphasis on strategic and business knowledge, this course will help you ace the role of the project manager in any size of the organization.
Learn to deliver digital-age transformational projects and excel in the field of project management with Simplilearn’s project management training.