The computer science discipline is still a very popular field of study today; it brings several applications that span a wide range. More often than not, final year students find it quite overwhelming to choose the right computer science project.
This article provides you with the top computer science project ideas you can implement in your final year. Here, we will give you ten such ideas that will help you implement an outstanding project. These projects are related to various business sectors and are implemented using Python, R, Java, and other frontend technologies.
Here are the top final year computer science project ideas:
1. Hangman Game
- Hangman is a popular guessing game, wherein one player thinks of a word, and the other one tries to guess it by suggesting letters within a limited number of guesses. The goal here is to discover the missing words.
- You can declare a class to create a GUI version of the game. The user attempts to guess the letters in a secret word and loses after a specified number of guesses that are not in the word. The user guesses a letter by clicking a button whose text is that letter. You need to create separate classes to define a listener that will respond to the events that occur when the user clicks any of the buttons. The constructor will create the main panel, and a method should be called any time a new game starts. The main program makes it possible to run this class as an application. The main routine creates a window, sets it to contain a panel of type Hangman, and shows the window in the center of the screen.
2. Restaurant Booking Website
- This idea will help restaurant owners handle online food orders, table booking, inventory control, generating bills, managing menus, and various customer services.
3. Library Management System
- Library management involves maintaining the database of new books, the record of books issued, and their respective dates. The main goal of this computer science project is to provide an easy way to handle and automate the library management system.
- This project also provides features and an interface for maintaining librarians' records, students' history of issues, and fines. Here, you need to create two modules - a user module and an admin module. These will have information about new user registration, the student login, issue date, return date, etc. There will be another admin module. To create this project, you can use Java programming language, MySQL, Net beans IDE, and PhpMyAdmin to handle server-side queries, if any, easily.
4. Web Scraping Using Beautiful Soup
- Our next computer science project is Web Scraping Using Beautiful Soup. Web scraping, also known as Web crawling, scans a collection of web pages to extract raw data from the web.
- As computer science engineers, you can use Beautiful Soup for web scraping to collect data from web pages and store it in various formats for analysis and decision making. Beautiful Soup is a Python package for parsing HTML and XML documents and extracting data from them. It works with your favorite parser to yield idiomatic ways of searching, navigating, and modifying the parse tree.
5. Twitter Sentiment Analysis
- Sentiment analysis makes use of machine learning and natural language processing techniques to analyze users' sentiments based on their emotions. It focuses not only on polarity that is positive, negative, or neutral but also on feelings and emotions such as happiness, sadness, etc. We can also carry this analysis out from tweets to understand the public's mood towards a brand or for an event like general elections in a country.
- In your computer science project, you can extract tweets based on specific hashtags and analyze the data using R and Python programming language. R provides TwitteR and Python has tweepy to perform sentiment analysis.
6. Building Chatbots
- A chatbot is an application to conduct an online chat conversation via text or text-to-speech. We use chatbots a lot in customer interaction, marketing on social network sites, and instant messaging the client.
- spaCy is nothing but an open-source Python library for Natural Language Processing. The library is designed for developers to build interactive NLP applications, which can process and understand large volumes of text. ChatterBot is a Python library that is designed to produce automated responses to user inputs. It combines various ML algorithms to generate several types of responses. This enables developers to build chatbots using Python to talk to humans and deliver relevant responses.
7. Uber Data Analysis
- The NYC Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC) datasets about Uber's ridership are popular in data analytics. You could use this data in your computer science project to analyze Uber bookings in New York city for a particular location.
- Using Python and its libraries like Pandas, NumPy, Matplotlib, and Seaborn, you can find which hour of the day or day of the month has the highest pickups.
8. Election Analysis
- You might have watched election results on news channels, and there is much excitement for the same. Various channels show different results for exit and opinion polls.
- The interactive charts shown by news channels are done using data analytics and data visualization. Python and R are widely used for analyzing election data. In your computer science project, you can analyze any election data using R to understand the political scenario that existed in the past and how it could change in the upcoming years.
9. OpenCV Face Detection
- This computer science project aims to detect an object of interest, such as a human face, in real-time and keep track of the same object.
- Python and OpenCV can be used to build this project. Open Source Computer Vision Library (OpenCV) is primarily a library of programming functions aimed at real-time computer vision. It identifies the features and patterns on a human face to detect where ears, eyes, nose, and other parts are located.
10. SMS Spam Filtering
- Finally, we have SMS spam filtering as our last computer science project idea. Short Message Service or SMS is one of the most widely used communication services. You often receive spam messages that include advertisements, free services, awards, promotions, etc.
- You can create a spam detection model using TensorFlow and Deep learning algorithms. Deep neural networks such as Recurrent neural networks and LSTMs can predict the spam short text messages with close to 99% accuracy.
Those were the top computer science project ideas that can help you ace your final year project.
You can create an election analysis project in R programming that shows how to create a map of state-by-state percentage vote share of Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton in the 2016 US Presidential elections. Watch this video to learn more: US Election Analysis.
You can build a Python project to understand how to perform data analysis using an Uber dataset with information about Uber bookings from different parts of New York City. Click on the video link to learn more: Uber Data Analysis.
Here is a video on final year computer science projects ideas.
This article has provided you with a set of computer science project ideas that are creative and interesting. You can work around these ideas and tips to build a great project that stands out. Do you have any questions about this article on 'Your Guide to the Best Set of Final Year Computer Science Project Ideas'? Please mention them in this article's comment section. Our qualified experts will get back to you as quickly as possible. You can watch this video: Final Year Computer Science Project Ideas to learn more about this topic.