AI has expanded exponentially, and its usage is widespread in every domain. The constant striving to improve these AI bots further increases their potential to carry out numerous tasks. ChatGPT is one of the most common and widely used AI platforms. The common usage has also brought out its various incompetencies, prompting people to look for alternatives. Below, we list 20 alternatives to help you make your choice.
What Is ChatGPT and What Can It Be Used For?
ChatGPT is the language model developed by OpenAI. It is based on GPT-3.5 architecture to generate human-resembling text responses to the text prompts. It works on a conversational approach generating responses from its wide dataset.
The diverse range of functionalities and applications of ChatGPT includes:
- Answering questions
- Language translation
- Writing assistance
- Creative writing
- Learning and education
- Personal assistance
Best ChatGPT Alternatives
The best-rated options are as follows:
1. Microsoft Bing
The renewed version of Microsoft Bing is now an integrated AI tool with the Bing search engine. As a better alternative to ChatGPT, Bing is available for Microsoft users.
- It is powered by an upgraded model of GPT, specifically, GPT-4.
- It has a chat mode that can be switched into three modes: Creative, Balanced and Precision according to user queries.
- Allows switching to different conversational modes
- Performs keyword-based search
- Provides references
- Has room for improved speed
Pricing: It is freely available to users with limited queries per session and per day. The sign-in further increases the limit and allows lengthy conversations.
2. Perplexity AI
Introduced through the usage of OpenAI’s GPT-3.5, the functionality of perplexity AI is similar to ChatGPT. It is also integrated with GPT 4 co-pilot mode, serving users an upgraded role and ease of action.
- It has a user-friendly interface.
- It resembles GPT's ability to converse with the user and provide simple, complete, transparent responses.
- The upgraded feature is seen in the provision of sources and offering follow-up questions for better clarity.
- Capable of conversing without confusion
- Citations with follow-up questions
- The data may face plagiarism issues
- Lack of additional features
- Inability to retrieve past responses
Pricing: The AI model is free to use, too, without the need to sign up for an account.
3. Google Bard AI
Google Bard AI is powered by LaMDA (Language Model for Dialogue Applications). An experimental AI conversational service, it is based on Google’s own next-generation language and conversation model.
- It is a separately available search engine that allows text and voice-based prompts.
- Future developments are expected to integrate AI with search engines, aiding the search process.
- It excels in creative responses.
- Faster response time
- Suited for creative tasks
- Plagiarised content
- Doesn’t provide sources
- Comparatively higher chances of inaccurate results
Pricing: Google Bard is free to use with the prime requirement of a Gmail id.
It is another conversational AI platform operating on the cloud and linked with NLP. Using Open AI’s GPT-3.5, it is capable of dialogue management capabilities that support creativity and technology.
- It is more suited for sales, customer service and marketing-related tasks.
- The best feature here is the toggle option to include Google search data, allowing more variety.
- Capable of intelligent conversations
- Designed to meet marketers' and working professional’s demands
- Inaccuracy in the responses
- Comprises of the old dataset
- Very few features available in the free version
Pricing: Jasper.ai is free to use but has limited features. The Jasper’s Boss or Business Plan, comprising advanced features, begins at $59 monthly. It comes with a 5-day trial.
This ChatGPT alternative is more focused on creating fact-based content in combination with Google search. It depends on the GPT-3 language, is less prone to errors, remembers conversations, and continues responding based on them.
- It allows real-time updates.
- Aids in different professions such as poetry or accountancy.
- It is a voice-based conversation, and the ability to share pdf or Word documents and generate image-based outputs, which are available both with browser extension and Android App.
- Broader and up-to-date knowledge
- Ability to read back the response
- Gadget and user-friendliness
- Conversations are made interesting with different professionals
- Limited interactions as most features come with paid versions
Pricing: Provides 25 responses per day for free. Further usage is paid with a long-form plan available at $12.67 per month.
6. Pi, Your Personal AI
Pi is the personal Artificial Intelligence designed as a smart and supportive bot. It serves the purpose of answering, advising and casual chatting.
- The Pi AI chatbot comes with smart features and responses.
- It has a unique design evident through dialogue-based conversation rather than chats. Another unique feature is voice-based talking, where you can listen to this AI.
- You can also choose among four voices that mimic humans to comfort you.
- Suitable for mental health and realistic conversations
- Comforting voice
- Requires phone number to sign up
Pricing: The Pi personal AI is free to use. However, it requires an active phone number and an account.
7. GitHub Copilot X
GitHub Copilot X is highly suited for programmers. It has the GPT-4 model trained by millions of codes and is compatible with well-known coding platforms such as VisualStudio, VS Code, JetBrains and Neovim.
- The GitHub Copilot X performs auto-completion of codes and suggests them in real-time.
- The AI allows text and voice-based prompts for generating and improving codes, in-depth analysis, explanation of code blocks, and answering questions on docs.
- Assists programmer
- In-depth analysis and improvement
- Inability to generate accurate responses
Pricing: Available at $10 per month for individuals and $19 per month for organizations.
8. Amazon Codewhisperer
Alternative to both ChatGPT and GitHub Copilot X, the Amazon Codewhisperer is available from Amazon. It serves the same function and suggests codes in the integrated development environment (IDE).
- It allows codes in multiple programming languages.
- Built-in security scans
- Enterprise administration
- Intelligent suggestions
- Free for use
- It can be integrated across the Amazon ecosystem
- Supports lesser languages than the GitHub Copilot X
Pricing: Free to use
Offered by Microsoft, DialoGPT has been replaced by GODEL AI, yet remains open for use. It has a modest dataset that supports previous chat responses.
- The interface is, however, not user-friendly and requires HuggingFace’s interface API for easy access.
- It also provides examples to begin using, but the responses may seem confusing.
- It can be used as simple AI for interaction.
- Lighthearted chatbot
- Lacks context-based awareness
- Less trained
- Forgets responses sometimes
Pricing: Free to use
10. OpenAI Playground
It is a web-based tool similar to ChatGPT. It provides multiple customisation options for technical experts.
- It has advanced options for choosing the specific language model
- Allows to opt among the model's randomness, frequency penalty, number of tokens, stop sequences and others.
- The accuracy varies with language models, and the responses are good.
- Option to upload audio recordings
- Multiple language learning models
- Good accuracy and response speed
- Can not handle high demand
- Not for layman
Pricing: Free to use if you sign-up.
11. Character AI
Trained by neural language models, it is a conversation-based AI that allows choosing from different personalities. These include Socrates, Tony Stark, Joe Biden and many others.
- The Character AI accurately copies the talking style of chosen personalities.
- Takes voice-based input.
- It is also designed for built-in image generators for avatar creation but at the cost of speed.
- Multiple characters to choose from
- Ability to create an avatar
- Helps carry out interesting conversations with different personalities
- Slow responses
Pricing: Free to use when you sign up
It is a primitive AI chatbot focussing on relationships and companions. It allows for building deep relationships with itself. It is also based upon the GPT-3 language model that learns from the prompts to provide customized responses.
- It allows creating a Replika avatar and customizing it based on the user’s taste.
- It provides real-time updates, makes notes from conversations, allows playing games, talking about sun signs and carrying out video calls.
- Suitable for different devices
- Good communication with accuracy
- Learns about you
- Allows video calling
- Fewer features available in free usage
Pricing: Multiple intriguing features are available on membership. The pro membership is available at different prices, with the lowest at $19.99 monthly.
13. Chai AI
Going a step ahead to Replika, Chai AI or Chat+AI provides different personalities worldwide. The better-developed AI is available on different devices and is plug-and-play in nature.
- Different available bots are similar to human dating apps, with different personalities to suit your mood.
- The response time and multi-turn ability mix with user-created bots to provide a more enhanced experience.
- Ability to make one AI character
- Options to create custom AI bots
- Allows a specific number of messages
- Ads cause disturbance in mobile apps
Pricing: The initial limit of free usage is set to 70 messages that get refreshed every hour. The paid Premium and Ultra membership removes stated limits.
It is an AI-powered search tool that is integrated with a search engine and trained to conduct real-time conversations. The accuracy of search results is commendable.
- It has a user-friendly interface.
- YouChat can also write codes, advise, and summarise books and concepts.
- The stated AI is operated through a chat interface, allowing voice, video calls, group chats, file sharing and notification settings.
- Easy integration with third-party apps
- User-friendly interface
- Customization options
- Lacks additional features
- Hangs randomly while generating the response
- Inconsistent call quality
Pricing: The YouChat search engine and chatbot are free to use.
Launched by Google-backed company Anthropic, it is based on the constitutional AI technique. The accessibility is, however, limited through NTDev or Slack.
- Claude can perform different actions like content writing, chatting, doubt solving, generating bullet reports and summarizing.
- It is currently in beta mode, and the most intriguing features are controlled generation to avoid getting inappropriate results.
- Lesser response time
- Performs basic coding
- Creative and collaborative writing
- Multitasking ability
- Makes up the information
- Incorrect access to memory
- Unable to perform complicated calculations
Pricing: Free to use
16. Quora Poe
Poe, the abbreviated form of ‘Platform for Open Exploration’, is a platform launched by Quora allowing interaction with AI bots.
- It allows instant answers, back and forth conversations with different AI bots simultaneously.
- It can handle a wide range of inquiries and increase AI developers' efficiency.
- Allows profile creating and following other users
- Allows publishing model outputs
- One-stop destination for all AI chatbot interaction
- Can not handle complex queries
- Lacks Android app
- Limited access to two AIs
Pricing: The free form of Quora Poe has limited access to Claude and GPT4. It does require creating an account.
It is also a search engine that provides results by mixing together ChatGPT and different language models.
- NeevaAI can provide specific and accurate responses with real-time updates and multi-source searches.
- It does not contain trackers and ads.
- It has customization options, and its search results are coupled with summaries and references.
- Provides ad-free and privacy-focused experience
- Personalized results
- Comprehensive search coverage
- Limited search index
Pricing: Free to use
It is an AI research assistant platform that allows Literature Review. It intakes text-based input and summarizes the relevant information from research papers and documents concerning the questions.
- It also defines terms and answers research questions owing to its access to a large database of relevant research.
- Quick analysis and finding of papers according to topic.
- Saves time, thus increasing productivity
- Ability to customize workflow
- Confusing initial setup
- Not suited for unique or specialized topics
Pricing: Available for free on creating an account.
The AI tool is designed for educated professionals. It uses a GPT language generation model that generates human-mimicking text-based outputs.
- It allows learning objectives, assessment questions, icebreakers and others.
- Aids in easing writing based tasks
- Comprises domain-specific knowledge
- Aids learning the lesson plans
- Saves time and enhances creativity
- Does not provide API
Pricing: Learnt.ai is free of cost. The other packs, like starter and professional, are available at cost.
20. Elsa Speak
It is an AI coach that allows learning English pronunciation. It is suited to upskill English speaking skills, increase productivity and discover new business opportunities.
- Comprises of fun-based learning practices
- Provides real-life content for practice
- Increases productivity
- Excellent speech recognition
- Often freezes
- Few wrong pronunciations
Pricing: It is available at the price of $6.99 per year.
Drawbacks of ChatGPT
Some of the drawbacks evident in ChatGPT are:
- Lack of factual accuracy
- Sensitivity to prompts phrasing
- Generates long responses with irrelevant details
- Logically unreliable
- Limited contextual understanding
- Keeps on repeating the same (older) things after teaching
- Provides biased and offensive output
Why Should You Use a ChatGPT Alternative?
Numerous reasons encourage the usage of alternative to ChatGPT:
- To gain accurate and precise responses on technological or specific fields
- To get reliable and factually correct responses with real-time updates
- For customization according to needs
- To enhance the performance and efficiency
- To opt for AI, more concerned with avoiding bias and maintaining privacy
The Future of ChatGPT and the AI Marketplace
The constant developments are expected to improve the future of ChatGPT and subsequently grow its market value by providing a firm stand in the marketplace. The possibilities are due to the following reasons:
- Constant striving to improve capabilities, gain factual accuracy and obtain a reduction in biases.
- The interest is seen in customization for better suitability to meet the needs and demands of specific users by incorporating domain-based knowledge.
- Diverse integration options with applications and platforms, thus contributing to AI-powered chatbots and virtual assistants.
- Collaboration with human experts is also under the expectations list
- Considering the ethical considerations, actions are being taken to address the same as well
- Further new innovations and models are also expected
The alternative to ChatGPT, both in open source and closed source, is either in beta mode and requires constant development, or the well-established ones continue to improve. It necessitates human involvement, skills, and fundamental knowledge. This field offers abundant opportunities for career growth and has vast potential. Simplilearn's Post Graduate Program in AI and Machine Learning offers comprehensive training, expert guidance, and a prestigious certificate from Caltech. Whether you're a beginner or an experienced professional, this program equips you with the skills and knowledge needed to excel in AI and machine learning.
1. What are AI chatbots?
AI chatbots are software applications merged with Artificial Intelligence that can interact with humans. They are designed to recognize text and speech.
2. Is there any alternative to ChatGPT?
There are multiple alternatives to ChatGPT, both in specific domains and in general. Common examples are Bard, Bing, Neeva, Claude and others.
3. What is the best alternative to ChatGPT?
The best alternative to ChatGPT completely depends on one's specific needs. However, GPT-4, IBM Watson Assistant and DialoGPT are the ones at the top of the list.
4. Are there any free alternatives to ChatGPT?
Yes, there are multiple free alternatives to ChatGPT, such as Bard, Bing, Claude, Character AI and many others.