Imagine you have set up your website. You’ve got high-quality content to put up, now all you need is an audience to enjoy it. You post your content and decide to wait for a few days for the website to gain some traction. After a few days, however, you find out your site hasn’t grown at all! So, what went wrong? Why was it that even after posting high-quality content, people didn’t visit your website? If these have been some of your worries, you will find answers to all of it below, where topics like why traffic is important, and how to get traffic to your website will be covered!
Why is Traffic Important?
Web traffic accounts for the number of users on the web, who have traveled to a particular website. Each user is recorded as a session or a visit with a starting and ending time, thanks to interactions between the user's device and the website. Moreover, web traffic is specific to each page on the site; hence, each page's traffic is configured independently of other pages.
Here are some reasons why traffic is important:
- You get higher revenue due to conversions and sales
- Your brand awareness and website exposure increases
- You can also earn through sponsored posts and ads
Well, traffic is useful for your website, and there's no hidden mystery there! The only real problem is to understand how to grow traffic that is coming to your website.
How to Get Traffic to Your Website?
1. Paid Advertising
Search ads, social media advertising, and display advertising will help you build your brand and bring your website to the right audience. You can set up strategies based on your requirements. For instance, do you want more traffic, or are you aiming at higher conversions? Let's have a look at the different kinds of ads you can use:
- Search Ads
- Social Media Advertising
- Display Ads
These are displayed on SERPs (Search Engine Result Pages) when a user’s query matches the keywords the advertiser had bid on
Social Media Advertising
Social Media Marketing helps increase website traffic, engagement, brand awareness, and any other marketing goals by creating different kinds of content for various social media platforms
This method involves creating ads in different areas of a website with the help of text, image, rich media, and video ads.
2. Promoting Your Website
Social media is a marketing tool that can play a significant role in driving traffic to your website and promoting your content. It can help turn your audience into website visitors and then draw traffic from their networks. Some of the most popular social media platforms you can use are Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Twitter.
3. Guest Blogging
Influencers within the industry can help drive traffic through organic search while promoting the content to their audience. This exposes your content to a broader audience, provides variety to your content, and shows your active visitors within the field. Check out the top trends in 2020 article, if you are interested in learning the top trends.
Most of the influencers need to be paid for, but the influencer can also mention your company for free. Here are some advantages:
- It exposes your brand to a highly targeted audience
- It helps expand your network
- Helps you rank your page on Search Engine Result Pages
- It helps grow your social media following
- Improves your online authority
- It improves your backlink score
- Groves brand awareness
- You can get qualified leads
4. Interviewing Industry Thought Leaders
Send out interview requests to industry thought leaders to publish the interviews on the blog. This helps with greater credibility, increases traffic, and provides greater visibility. The interviewee might share the content, too, helping you reach his connections, inturn a broader audience.
5. Making Sure Your Website is Responsive
Considering how just about everyone’s using their smartphones to access websites nowadays, you need to ensure that it’s accessible and easy to view across various devices.
Here are some things that can make sure of this:
- Content is arranged based on its importance
- Your website is tested on different browsers and devices
- All text, images, and content are aligned
- Revise device/ browser combinations
- Fonts are checked across multiple devices and operating systems to ensure that you maintain consistency
- Ensure users can navigate your website with ease
- Make sure website popups are responsive
- Your website shouldn’t take too long to render
6. Build a Brand Community
Creating a brand community helps achieve increased brand recognition. You can discuss topics within the industry, answer questions on forums, and interact with followers on social media to help grow your community. Some advantages of a brand community are:
- It helps promote brand loyalty and evangelism
- It can bring feedback, loyalty, and ideas
- Content obtained from users (User-generated content) can help with future marketing strategies
- It also provides PR opportunities like guerilla marketing campaigns and having your users contribute to a charitable cause
7. Be Active in the Comment Section
Comments can help get your brand out there, with the help of insightful and thought-provoking comments on blogs and sites. This helps improve your reputation and eventually increase traffic to your website.
8. Perform SEO
SEO will help your website rank higher up in SERPs and bring you more traffic. Some of the advantages of SEO are:
- You can gain traffic through organic searches
- Helping build trust and credibility with your audience
- Increased engagement and traffic
- Users have improved UX
- The audience is highly targeted and of high quality
This is possible with the help of tools like Moz, ahrefs, Semrush, etc.
9. Build Backlinks
A backlink is a link from your website to another. They can direct users from other websites and can bring your site to a broader audience. This drives quality traffic to your site. The more the backlinks, the more Google picks up on it. This increases Google’s trust in your brand and gives your website higher rankings in the SERPs. Other advantages include:
- Improved organic rankings
- Your sites are indexed faster by search engines
- You get referral traffic
10. Perform Internal Linking
Internal linking is a way to link to other pages on your site, ensuring that they can read other pages on your website. Internal linking will also help improve traffic to your website. Visitors visiting other pages are more likely to convert and become loyal to the brand. Here are some advantages of internal linking:
- Indexing of your website is improved
- Bounce rates are reduced
- Older posts get more traffic
- PageRank is improved
- Link juice is spread across the websites
11. Target Long-Tail Keywords
Long-tail keywords constitute the majority of the web searches and help you rank higher for queries specific to your products/ services. Some advantages of doing this are:
- You have lesser competition for keywords
- You’re attracting customers who have a higher chance to convert
- Targeted traffic is brought to your audience
- On-page optimization is easier
12. Focus on Email Marketing
Email marketing allows you to connect with your customers and get traffic to your website. It can also provide your users with information regarding links to pages on your website where you can learn more with blogs and pages with offers. Just make sure you don’t bombard your viewers with emails. For more tips on email marketing, you can check this article out.
Let’s have a look at some advantages of email marketing:
- It’s cost-effective
- It’s time-saving
- It provides an opportunity for real-time marketing
- It’s a lot less intrusive
- Builds credibility, provides increased visibility and brand awareness
- ROI can be tracked easily
Some tools that can help with email marketing are MailChimp, HubSpot, Marketo, etc.
13. Host Webinars
Webinars help your brand to communicate with your audience. Webinars can be archived for later viewing and can be promoted on social media platforms. They are effective ways to promote your brand on social media and quickly bring traffic to your website.
Some of the advantages of webinars are:
- Connects you directly with your target audience and engage with them
- They cost less and helps you save money
- It increases the chances of users becoming prospective customers
14. Incorporate Video Content
Video content can help attract new customers and improve your site engagement. It helps increase audience attention and boost traffic to your website. Some of the advantages are:
- Increased conversions and sales
- Improves Return on Investment (ROI) (According to Hubspot, videos in emails increase click-through rates by 200 to 300%. Videos in landing pages have shown to increase conversion rates by 80%)
- Helps build trust with your audience
- They are more appealing to smartphone users
- It encourages social engagement
15. Submit Your Content to Content Aggregators
Content aggregators like Reddit provide your brand with a platform to post your content and obtain a large amount of traffic.
16. Learn From Analytics
Insights you get from Google Analytics can help improve your website. Here are some advantages of analytics:
- It enables you to figure out where your users come from
- It helps you rank in SERPs
- Your audience can be segmented easily
- You can study your competition
- You can determine which content works best for you
- Your website can be fine-tuned
Master many facets of SEO including keyword research, technical SEO, link building, analytics, with the Search Engine Optimization training course.
Gain Traffic and Get Ahead
Today, employers are looking for marketing enthusiasts that can make the best use of all the above-mentioned tips, tricks, techniques, and creativity and drive results and make their brand visible in today's growing digital landscape. While knowing all of this is critical, a certification always proves a potential employer how worthy you are. Our Digital Marketing Specialist Master’s Program will help you do just that! So get the learning going, and make a splash in the field of marketing today, and attract traffic to your website like never before.