- Create an enduring relationship with your MENTOR.
- Have fun while discovering all about YOU.
- Set realistic GOALS and pursue them.
Have you ever thought about the number of times you will be able to change your career in a lifetime. It is just not possible to change your career again and again to be successful. Successful career transitions require proper planning. Job-seekers should take time out from their day-to-day grind to make appropriate short-term and long-term career planning. Whether you are frustrated with your current job or you are in love with your job, planning your career is a must. This is because the job market is continuously evolving and it requires you to be aware of the new industry updates.
Career planning is the process of building a bridge from your current job to your dream job. So, do not compromise on planning. Make the best planning to achieve unsurpassed results. The chances of you stumbling while making a career transition are high. However, a proper planning makes this risky task safe and prevents you from losing your direction.
Divergent thinking always helps you in developing better career planning strategies. Career planning can be beneficial particularly when you have a fair idea about the direction in which you want to head. Generally, there are two types of career planning strategies – short-term and long-term.
Short-Term Career Planning
Depending on your requirements, a short-term career plan might focus on a time-frame of the next one to three years of your career. Short-term career planning chiefly helps in the development of realistic objectives that can be accomplished in the near future.
Identify and free yourself from the career barriers. Do not pressurize yourself to an extent to which it paralyzes you and prevents you from making the right choice.
Long-Term Career Planning
In this dynamic job market, the skill sets that you have today might not be useful few years down the line. Long-term career planning always entails a five-year planning window or sometimes even longer. This includes broader set of strategies and involves the identification and development of core proficiencies that are valued by the employers.
Here, you have a scope for being prepared for the future career changes. The work environment should be regularly scanned and a thorough research should be conducted on the career options that are of your interest.
Top Strategies for Successful Career Planning
- SWOT Analysis – Carry out a SWOT analysis to successfully market yourself and advance in your career.
- Create a Professional Development Plan – Although most of us have a fair idea about our career goal, we would not have designed a path to get there. Creating a professional development plan is the first step in preparing yourself for your dream job. Develop a clearly structured plan well in advance. This is because organizations who look out for senior executives usually expect a decade of relevant experience.
- Identifying Professional Growth Areas – It is essential to evaluate your current position in order to explore the direction in which you are heading. Two important aspects of career advancement are discipline and self-reflection. Identifying your strengths and areas for improvement helps you in making informed decisions.
- Identify the Key Factors of Career Advancement – Organizations consider several important factors while looking out for ideal candidates. Although work experience is all about variety and scope, candidates with job tenures from five to ten years are mostly sought after by the hiring executives.
- Professional Certifications are Vital – The current job market is extremely challenging and dynamic. Relevant certifications serve as a mark of excellence and differentiate you from the rest.
- Consult Mentors and Build Your Network – Who you know is as essential as what you know. Building a network of professionals in the field of your choice can provide you with all the recent developments in that sector and can keep you updated with the contemporary requirements.
- Alignment of Your Career Path with Your Goal – C-Suite positions require breadth and depth of experience. Design a career map proactively by working in glitches and gain deeper knowledge and insight on several areas. Track measurable outcomes across your career to demonstrate your leadership qualities.
- Determine the Corporate Sector of Your Interest – Do a thorough homework before you apply for your dream job. This is because hiring executives try to gage your motivation.
- Master the Interview Skills – All your planning and hard work end with the job interview. Handling the interview is the chief skill that most people fail to focus on. Do a research on the interview style. Rehearse and practice before an interview to comfortably answer the questions.
Career planning is a route by which your aspirations, goals, abilities, values, personality, lifestyle, likes and dislikes are acknowledged and prioritized to help you in determining your long-term career goals and destinations. It is particularly useful when there are several uncertainties about achieving your goals.
About the On-Demand Webinar
About the Webinar