Top Job Trends in Cloud Computing
There are various streams in Cloud Computing itself and when making a career decision one will have to identify with one of these streams and make decision.
1. Cloud ArchitectThe job of the cloud architect is similar to that of a network architect. A network architect works on a physical platform and a cloud architect will work on a virtual platform. Here, the need to know various platforms and how to integrate them becomes necessary. One should know various platforms in the private cloud (VMWare, MS Hyper-v etc) and platforms in the public cloud (AWS, Azure etc). However, these are platforms on which your virtual infrastructure will stand. Deploying services in this infrastructure (PaaS, SaaS, IaaS) is another thing one needs to know as well. Deploying a Proxmox server for IaaS services, Deploying Stackato for PaaS etc. Knowledge of load balancers, firewalls, IDS, IPS etc is a must.
The required credentials for this job would be a degree in computer science or engineering, over 10 years of experience in a large-scale, multi-platform networks, expert on scripting, Shell, Perl or Python , advanced knowledge of operating systems and experience in designing, installing and administering virtual environments.
2. Cloud Software EngineerThis is development job where the person will develop applications that will be cloud ready. Cloud ready means that the application has been optimized to run on a virtual environment. The applications understand virtual machines, NIC’s, switches etc.
The required credentials would be graduate degree in computer science or engineering, over two years of experience in application development, experience in system configuration and deployment automation technologies, hands on programming experience on Linux/Unix operating system. Experience in deploying software to cloud computing infrastructure, experience in SOA.
3. Cloud Sales JobThis is a sales job so it will depend on the company’s product portfolio on what the job profile will be. Here, you can end up with application sales or if the company offers a service such as IaaS, PaaS and SaaS. So knowledge of deployment and integration of infrastructure and applications is a must. Sound knowledge of the IT is required.
The requirements would be a graduate degree in business administration and 5-10 years business experience in client-facing roles, with some of that spent in outsourcing or systems integration; highly effective communication skills; strong understanding and successful experience in building strategic and/or developmental partnerships within midsize and large corporations; demonstrated consistent quota attainment in selling infrastructure, IT, cloud and security services.
4. Cloud EngineerThis is an equivalent job to a system administrator. Job description would include service deployment and maintenance, troubleshooting at the vendor’s and the clients end, scaling, load balancing etc.
Requirements would be a graduate degree in computer science; over five years of implementation experience with highly virtualized shared infrastructure, platforms or applications architecture at a large enterprise or service provider. Here, certification would be vendor-specific such as VMware Certified Professional (VCP) or MS Hyper-V. Most of the service provider’s now use multiple platforms; in this scenario you might have to learn all relevant platforms.
5. Cloud Services DeveloperCompanies offer various services over the cloud. (SaaS, PaaS, IaaS, CaaS etc). So when a company wants to offer a service they have to develop it first, test it and then deploy it. The service developer’s job is to create that service with the company’s ideology in mind and successfully. For example Dropbox is a service under IaaS. The developer in this scenario needs to create an application which the company can deploy in their datacenter and offer storage as a service.
Required credentials would be graduate in computer science or computer engineering; approximately five years of experience in cloud architecture and design; approximately five years of experience in architecting and deploying web services on SOA platforms (for example, Amazon EC2, Heroku, Azure and Rackspace); around five years of experience in PHP Python, Java or C++ with software development methodologies such as Agile.
6. Cloud Systems AdministratorThis job profile would be about handling the organizations own virtual infrastructure. This would include maintaining the virtual servers or desktops, creating snapshots, managing the load balancers, identity management, trouble shooting errors, capacity management, expansion etc.
The platform knowledge again would depend on vendor whether he is on a private cloud (VMware, Hyper-V etc) or a public cloud (AWS, AZURE etc).
Required credentials would be graduate in computer science or computer engineering; three years of experience in operating system administration; three years of experience in supporting enterprise-level platform installations; strong Linux command-line skills; experience in performance monitoring and capacity planning for enterprise platforms.
7. Cloud ConsultantThis is where the one would conduct technical studies and evaluations of business requirements and recommend the best possible solution. So the person here will need to analyze the business requirements and find the appropriate solution and recommend the implementation. For this a thorough understanding of cloud technologies and everything in IT are a must.
The person should have around eight years of IT consulting experience and a thorough understanding of all the platforms, operating systems and services, apart from a slew of certifications.
8. Cloud systems engineerThis job profile is where one will build virtual systems that will support the cloud implementation.
Required credentials would be a graduate degree in computer science, information technology or related technical degree; 5-10 years of systems engineering experience, holistic understanding of the internet and hosting from the network layer up through the application layer; experience in a 24x7 hosting environment. Added advantage would be if one has experience with monitoring tools, scripting, configuration management, clustering, Drupal and internet security.
9. Cloud network engineerThis job requires you to perform the implementation, operational support, maintenance and optimization of network hardware, software and communication links of the cloud infrastructure.
The required credentials would be related degree in computer science; four years in-depth network engineering experience; proven deep understanding of TCP/IP, Subnetting, DNS, DHCP, NAT and routing; strong knowledge of Layer 2 network protocols; strong knowledge of Layer 3 IP routing; proven scripting abilities in one or more language - Perl, Shell or Python.
10. Cloud Product ManagerPerform product planning for cloud-based offerings including creating product concept and strategy documents, creating requirements specifications, identifying product positioning and enabling the sales processes (licensing, pricing, packaging, benefits etc).
The required credentials would be bachelor's degree in business or computer sciences or equivalent work experience; minimum of three years of experience of working with a software development company that deploys its offerings using a SaaS or cloud-based model; very strong communication skills.
ConclusionIT industry is continuously evolving thereby ensuring survival of the fittest in which only the most competent candidates can carve their way to success. It professionals should continuously update themselves with the new trends and skills that hit the market every now and then in order to stay on top. Furthermore, like any other industry sector, IT industry also keeps a tab on the cost reduction and focusses on exponentially increasing the productivity.
About the On-Demand Webinar
About the Webinar