The ASP.NET Core framework is becoming increasingly popular among developers and is expected to grow in popularity in the coming years. ASP.NET is a well-known web development framework for creating web applications on the.NET platform. ASP.NET Core is a redesigned version of ASP.NET with architectural enhancements to build a modular framework. ASP.NET Core and Web API are included in.NET 5 to help developers create web and cloud apps. If you want to understand ASP.NET Core, you've come to the right place. This tutorial will provide you with a brief tutorial on ASP.NET Core.
Without further ado, let’s get started with ASP.NET core tutorial.
What Is ASP.NET Core?
- ASP.NET Core is a cross-platform, high-performance framework for developing modern, cloud-enabled, Internet-connected apps.
- ASP.NET Core is an open-source version of ASP.NET that operates on Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- ASP.NET Core was initially launched in 2016 as a revised version of older Windows-only versions of ASP.NET.
Why Use ASP.NET Core?
Millions of developers use ASP.NET to construct web applications. ASP.NET Core is a revised version of ASP.NET that includes architectural improvements to create a modular framework.
With ASP.NET Core, you can do the following:
- Build web apps and services, IoT Apps, and mobile backends.
- Use development tools on Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- Deploy to the cloud or on-premises.
- Run-on .NET Core.
Now that you have seen why to use ASP.NET Core, look at the key features of ASP.NET Core.
Features of ASP.NET Core
- ASP.NET Core is a single framework for developing web UI and web APIs.
- ASP.NET Core is designed for testing.
- Razor Pages makes coding easier and provides a more productive environment to code page-focused situations. Razor Pages are a page-based approach for building server-side rendered apps.
- Capability to design and run applications on Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- Community-driven and open-source.
- Modern client-side frameworks and development methods are integrated.
- ASP.NET provides a configuration system that is cloud-ready and environment-based.
- A high-performance, lightweight, modular HTTP request pipeline and provides built-in dependency injection.
- Capability to host on the platforms like Kestrel, IIS, HTTP.sys, Nginx, and Apache Docker.
- ASP.NET supports side-by-side versioning. It has the ability to run multiple versions of an application on the same device side by side.
Architecture of ASP.NET
The concept of ASP.NET fundamental architecture is similar to that of "N" layer architecture. It defines the layers as the core component of the platform, releasing the developer of the burden of redefining it to make a solution more flexible and reusable.
The main business logic and UI logic in ASP.NET Core are encapsulated in the Web App layer. In contrast, the database access layer, cache services, and web API services are encapsulated in the infrastructure layer. Standard utilities, objects, interfaces, and reusable business services are encapsulated as micro-services in the application core layer.
The data sources could be SQL databases, and third-party services include GitHub API, send grid API, and others. The dotted arrow shows the compile-time dependency, and the regular arrow indicates run time dependency.
The business model, which contains entities, services, and interfaces, is stored in the Application Core. These interfaces contain abstractions for operations done by Infrastructure, such as data access, file system access, network calls, and so on. Application Core types include Entities, Interfaces, Services, and DTOs(Data Transfer Objects).
- The Infrastructure project includes data access implementations such as entity framework, EF core migration objects, and data access implementation classes.
- The Infrastructure project contains implementations of services that must interact with infrastructure concerns. These services implement interfaces defined in the application Core, so infrastructure should reference the Application Core project.
- Infrastructure types include:
- EF Core types
- Data access implementation types
- Infrastructure-specific services
Benefits of .NET Core Over .NET Framework
Benefits of .NET Core over .NET Framework include:
- Cross-platform- ASP.NET Core runs on Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- Improved performance- ASP.NET Core has improved performance because of the substantial usage of asynchronous patterns inside the new MVC and Kestrel frameworks.
- Side-by-side versioning- ASP.NET Core has the ability to run multiple versions of an application on the same computer side by side
- New APIs- ASP.NET Core provides new application programming interfaces.
- Open-source- ASP.NET Core is an open-source version of ASP.NET.
This picture depicts the comparison of ASP.NET and .NET Framework.
ASP.NET Core is the most used framework, and it is growing in popularity as most developers use it regularly. It is expected that ASP.NET will overtake the .NET framework in popularity in the coming years.
Step:1 Install the required software and set up the system for ASP.NET Core development.
First, you need an editor visual studio 2019
Next, you need .NET Core SDK(Software development kit)
Step:2 Open visual studio 2019
In the workloads under toolsets. select .NET Core cross-platform
Click on create a new project
Step:3 There are many templates present
Select asp.net core empty
Step:4 Enter project name
If you want to change the solution name, uncheck the box
But if you want the soln and project in the same directory, then check the box
Click on next and then create
Step:5 Navigate to the startup.cs file and modify the message to be displayed
Step:6 Run the program by clicking on IIS Express and the message will be displayed on the localhost server in the browser.
With that we have come to the end of the article on ‘ASP.NET core tutorial’
Get a firm foundation in Java, the most commonly used programming language in software development with the Java Certification Training Course.
This tutorial on ‘ASP.NET Core Tutorial’ covers its features and architecture. Apart from what is ASP.NET Core, it also includes the why to use it and its benefits. Proceeding further, you will understand the industry trends and. At finally, you saw the demo.
If you want to learn .NET, try taking the Simplilearn .NET Programming course. This comprehensive training will assist you in mastering the fundamentals of.NET programming and creating.NET projects. You will be introduced to the.NET space and coding with C#, including Visual Studio and Webforms, in the.NET programming certification course, which will help you thrive in your job.
If you need more information, please visit our YouTube channel for a detailed explanation of these ASP.NET Core tutorials.
If you have any queries in the article ASP.NET core tutorials, please leave them in the comments section of this "ASP.NET Core” Tutorial. We will have one of our professionals respond to you straight away!