With the growing data generation, businesses are required to leverage a platform that helps them make use of their customer data well, and Salesforce is one such CRM platform. Salesforce is used by startups to Fortune 500 companies. In this Salesforce tutorial, you will walk through what is Salesforce and how beneficial it is.
Check out the following video to learn about Salesforce -
Why Use Salesforce?
Before moving to understand what is Salesforce, this tutorial will acquaint you with the term CRM. Back in time, employees managed manually data. They jotted down information and stored them in files. This way, they failed to make use of all the available data.
Gradually, as years passed by with the advent of computers, companies made use of Excel sheets and documents for managing their data. However, this approach proved to be time-consuming and inefficient when handling large volumes of data.
There was a requirement to effectively handle and analyze vast volumes of user data by every employee in the organization. By the term effective, it refers to methods that could be incorporated to improve customer satisfaction. This was when CRM, known as customer relationship management, was introduced, and it addressed the above issues.
Initially, customer relationship management (CRM) solutions were hosted on a company's server. This became time-consuming and highly expensive. Such CRMs were also challenging to use.
The solution was to build an affordable and cost-effective CRM software and provide it entirely online as a service. This was the core idea behind Salesforce.
Related Reading: An Overview of the Customer Relationship Management (CRM) Market
Moving forward, take a look at what exactly is Salesforce.
What Is Salesforce?
Salesforce is a cloud-based software company that provides businesses with tools that help them find more prospects, close more deals, and provide a higher level of service to their customers.
Salesforce, Inc. is a famous American cloud-based software company that provides CRM services. Salesforce is a popular CRM tool for support, sales, and marketing teams worldwide.
Salesforce services allow businesses to use cloud technology to better connect with partners, customers, and potential customers. Using the Salesforce CRM, companies can track customer activity, market to customers, and many more services.
A CRM platform helps you go deeper with all your metrics and data; you could also set up a dashboard that showcases your data visually. In addition to this, you can also have personalized outreach with automation. Another significant benefit is that a CRM platform can also improve customer service's ability to help customers or a sales team's outreach efforts.
What Does Salesforce Do?
Salesforce is a cloud-based Customer Relationship Management (CRM) platform that enables businesses to manage customer data, sales operations, and marketing campaigns. It provides various features, and tools businesses can use to improve customer relationships, including customer segmentation, customer data management, and customer support. Salesforce also offers a variety of integrations with third-party applications and services, making it a powerful and versatile CRM platform.
How Does Salesforce Work?
Salesforce is a CRM platform and also a centralized platform for managing customer accounts, sales leads, activities, customer support cases, and more. Users can access Salesforce through a web browser, mobile app, or desktop application. Salesforce allows users to customize and create custom objects, fields, processes, and reports and integrate them with other software products. Salesforce also provides marketing automation and Artificial Intelligence (AI) capabilities.
Salesforce and CRM Background
Salesforce helps businesses keep track of customer interactions and sales data. It can manage leads, contacts, opportunities, and cases. Salesforce also offers several features to help businesses automate their sales and marketing processes, such as email marketing, lead capture, and lead scoring. CRM systems like Salesforce can help businesses improve their customer service and sales operations.
This tutorial will now briefly walk you through the Salesforce architecture. Here, you will be acquainted with the different layers of the Salesforce architecture individually.
- Multi-tenant: Salesforce stores data in a single database schema. There can be a single instance of a software server with multiple tenants. Speaking about a multi-tenant architecture, there is a single shared application service to several clients. This makes it cost-effective. On the contrary, in a single-tenant, the development and maintenance cost must be entirely owned by one client. Hence the multi-tenant architecture is a boon.
- Metadata: Salesforce uses a metadata-driven development model. This allows developers to only focus on building the application. This metadata-driven platform makes customization and scaling up easy.
- API: Salesforce provides a powerful source of APIs. This helps in developing and customizing the Salesforce1 Mobile App. Every feature of the Salesforce design has been planned and implemented precisely.
Read more: What does a Salesforce Professional Do
What Is Salesforce Infrastructure?
Salesforce Infrastructure is the back-end system that powers Salesforce's cloud computing platform. It includes several components, such as the Salesforce application server, the database server, the application development environment, and the application integration platform.
Salesforce Infrastructure is designed to be highly scalable and fault-tolerant, supporting the heavy demand placed on it by the Salesforce application. It is constantly being updated and improved by Salesforce's team of engineers to keep pace with the ever-changing needs of the Salesforce application.
Moving on, you will explore the Services offered by Salesforce:
- SAAS (Software As A Service): Here, you can directly obtain the built-in software and make use of it.
- PAAS (Platform As A Service): PAAS offers you the framework and platform to build your websites and apps.
- IAAS (Infrastructure As A Service): IAAS plays a vital role in Salesforce development, although not very widely used.
Salesforce Cloud Services
The next topic is Salesforce Cloud Services. Here’s a list of the Salesforce cloud services that are going to be highlighted in this tutorial on what is Salesforce.
Fig: Different Salesforce Cloud Services
- Sales Cloud: It is one of the most essential and popular products of Salesforce. It is a CRM platform that allows you to manage your company's sales, marketing, and customer support aspects. Sales Cloud gives you the status of the lead that will be helpful for sales executives.
- Marketing Cloud: Marketing is crucial when it comes to running a business. Marketing cloud lets you run campaigns, manage emails, messages, social media, content management, data analytics, etc., with the help of a tracking system.
- Analytics Cloud: This enables users to create a highly visually appealing dashboard of the available data. By doing so, you can get an in-depth understanding and analyze the trends, business, and more.
- IoT Cloud: Salesforce IoT cloud is used when your company needs to handle the Internet of Things (IoT) data. This platform can take vast volumes of data generated by various IoT devices; following this, you get real-time responses.
- Salesforce App Cloud: You can use this service to develop custom apps that will run on the Salesforce platform.
- Salesforce Service Cloud: Salesforce also helps you serve your customers. This is a service platform for your organization’s support team. It provides features like case tracking and social networking plug-in.
These were a few of the top cloud services offered by Salesforce. Due to its diverse options, companies use Salesforce to assist with sales, marketing, and analysis.
The next topic in this tutorial on what is Salesforce is about Salesforce applications. Here, you will have a look at a few applications that make Salesforce popular.
- Customer Service: Salesforce provides excellent customer service from anywhere in the world. It helps in resolving customer issues faster and improves support agent response time. Salesforce allows you to unify email, social, phone, and chat support and helps manage every channel from one view.
- Customize Data: Salesforce allows you to handle and customize different types of data. It helps you track real-time analytics and enhance the customer experience.
- Flexible Data Reporting and Analysis: Salesforce allows flexible data reporting and analysis. Here, sales representatives can create their reports to check the accounts they haven’t worked on for a while.
- Understand Customer Data: The Salesforce tool makes you understand customer data, identify their interests and perception. You can locate and re-engage inactive customers and increase sales by tracking customer interaction.
Also Read: Here's Why You Should Learn Salesforce?
The Top 7 Benefits of Salesforce
1. Better Time Management
Time management is a huge benefit of Salesforce and one of the best ways to allow a business to grow and thrive. Thanks to comprehensive customer information and useful planning resources, you have everything you need in one place. No more time wasted searching through logs and files for important info.
With so much pertinent customer data, you can easily prioritize work for (and with) your clients by streamlining the sales funnel so that leads are quickly transformed into customers.
Salesforce also has a calendar feature that makes it easy to plan projects, meetings, phone calls, and more in one place. You’ll know what’s coming up and when.
2. Ultimate Accessibility
Since Salesforce is cloud software, it’s accessible anywhere and everywhere you have access to the Internet. Whether you use your desktop, laptop, or smartphone, Salesforce can be reached thanks to its app. This is important because many business owners and team members travel frequently, be it nationally, internationally, or even between cities.
Being able to reach your CRM tool through the protected cloud no matter where you are makes it easier to access important files and stay updated on clients. Sensitive information is more secure than it would be in a file cabinet or on a local server.
3. Increased Revenue
Without Salesforce, running a business in today’s world can cost you money. On any given day, your team might produce a ton of data that has to be stored. Without Salesforce, you’re most likely sorting through this data manually, and this is more time spent on administrative work as opposed to building customer relationships.
When your time is tied up, it means you have less time to improve business, make connections, and grow profits. Since the tool takes over these administrative duties and more, you’ll have more time to devote to the business, which means more money in the long run.
4. Greater Customer Satisfaction
Similar to increased revenue, it’s safe to assume customers are more satisfied when they interact with a business that knows their needs and the state of their relationship with you (thanks to your CRM tool). Spend less time on administrative duties and you’ll have more time to spend catering to your customers through a common platform.
Thanks to a highly efficient management system, you can serve your customers better by having quicker access to their information, accounts, purchase history, and preferences.
This Salesforce benefit not only improves your relationship with your customers – it sets you up for new customers too. When your current customers are happy with you, they’re more likely to be an ambassador for you and tell their friends.
5. Simple Account Planning
Salesforce makes it simple to create plans for accounts. With all the customer information you need readily accessible, you’ll have an easier time placing that info into the correct accounts, and then making plans for those accounts for optimal results for the customer.
Customers get products or services perfectly tailored to their needs, you stay organized, and you adjust your time effectively for each client. As these accounts are created, stronger connections are made with your clients by best meeting their needs, solving their problems, and keeping track of trends.
6. Trusted Reporting
With so much data pouring into your business, it’s easy to become lost. Salesforce keeps pertinent data organized and it helps you make sense of new data thanks to trustworthy reporting.
Keep track of all the data your business collects from social media, website analytics, app information, business software, and more. Reporting takes this mountain of information and sorts it, analyzes it, and makes it actionable. With the accuracy of Salesforce tech, you know the numbers are right and the readings can be trusted.
7. Improved Team Collaboration
Lastly, team collaboration is a major benefit of Salesforce. The software allows you to connect and communicate with team members from anywhere thanks to the “Chatter” feature. This lets you connect with individual team members or full groups and chat about everything from your clients and their information to other work-related topics such as territory and product/service details.
When the team is on the same page, your business is more cohesive and operates more efficiently so that deadlines are met and sales are finalized.
|Evaluate your skills in Salesforce with the Salesforce Admin & App Builder Practice Test. Try it now!|
You will now look at the final section of this tutorial on what is Salesforce.
What Is Salesforce App-Exchange?
Salesforce App-Exchange is a marketplace that offers a wide variety of apps that can be used to extend the functionality of Salesforce. It was created for the Salesforce platform and provides customers with access to a wide range of applications that extend the capabilities of their Salesforce instances.
What Is the Salesforce App Exchange Program?
The Salesforce App Exchange program is a marketplace that allows customers to find, try, and buy trusted business applications that extend the power of the Salesforce Customer Success Platform. App exchange is the first and only business app store designed for the enterprise, and it’s an online marketplace that lets you quickly and easily find, try, and buy apps that work with Salesforce.
Salesforce App Exchange is the world’s largest business app store. With over 4,000 apps, it’s designed to help you find the right app for your business. Whether you’re looking for an app to help you close more deals, manage your projects, or get more out of your CRM, App exchange has the solution for you.
What Made Salesforce an Instant Hit?
- Salesforce was an instant hit when it launched in 1999 because it was the first customer relationship management (CRM) software application delivered over the internet. It allowed businesses of all sizes to access and use the software without installing it on their servers.
- And Salesforce revolutionized traditional CRM software by making it cloud-based and browser-agnostic. It was the first to introduce an entirely new pricing model based on usage, which was much more attractive to small business owners with limited IT budgets.
- Additionally, it was one of the first to offer a wide range of features and services, including customer service, marketing automation, and analytics. Finally, its customer service was top-notch and responsive, making it easy for customers to get the help they needed.
Now Salesforce quickly became the leading CRM application and is one of the most popular business applications today.
Marketing Cloud Account Engagement (AKA. Pardot)
Marketing cloud account engagement, or Pardot, is a powerful marketing tool that allows businesses to connect with their customers and prospects more meaningfully. By tracking customer engagement data and using it to create targeted marketing campaigns, businesses can more effectively reach their target audience and improve customer retention. Additionally, Pardot can automate marketing tasks, making the marketing process more efficient and effective.
Marketing Cloud Customer Data Platform (AKA. Customer 360 Audiences)
The Marketing Cloud Customer Data Platform (AKA. Customer 360 Audiences) is a powerful tool that allows marketers to collect and manage customer data from multiple sources in a single platform. This data can be used to create targeted marketing campaigns that are more likely to convert customers into sales.
The Customer Data Platform is a valuable tool for any business that wants to improve customer engagement and conversion rates. By consolidating customer data into a single platform, companies can get a more holistic view of their customers and create targeted marketing campaigns that are more likely to succeed.
Marketing Cloud Advertising (AKA. Advertising Studio)
The Marketing Cloud Advertising solution from Salesforce provides businesses with a powerful tool for managing their online advertising campaigns. This solution allows businesses to create and manage ad campaigns across multiple channels, including search, display, social, and video. The Marketing Cloud Advertising solution also provides companies with detailed insights into the performance of their campaigns so that they can optimize their campaigns for better results.
Marketing Cloud Personalization (AKA. Interaction Studio)
Interaction Studio is a powerful marketing tool that allows you to personalize your marketing messages and content for each customer. This tool ensures that your customers receive the most relevant and targeted messages, which can significantly improve your conversion rates and overall customer satisfaction.
Using data from past interactions, the marketing cloud can provide personalized content relevant to each user, which enhances marketing campaigns' effectiveness and increase brand engagement.
Marketing Cloud Intelligence (AKA. Datorama)
Datorama is a marketing cloud intelligence solution that helps organizations make better decisions and optimize their marketing efforts. It provides a unified view of all data across all channels and platforms, and Datorama also includes powerful tools for data analysis, visualization, and reporting. With Datorama, organizations can get a complete picture of their marketing performance and make data-driven decisions to improve their results.
Marketing Cloud Advanced Cross Channel (AKA. Advanced Cross Channel)
Marketing Cloud Advanced Cross Channel is a powerful marketing tool that helps businesses reach customers across multiple channels. It provides a unified view of the customer journey, allowing businesses to coordinate their marketing efforts for maximum impact. With Advanced Cross Channel, businesses can create targeted campaigns that reach customers on their preferred channel, whether email, social media, or mobile.
Additionally, Advanced Cross Channel provides detailed reporting and analytics, so businesses can measure the success of their campaigns and make necessary adjustments. So, advanced Cross Channel is an essential tool for businesses that want to take their marketing to the next level.
Salesforce Community (Experience) Cloud
Salesforce Community Cloud is a powerful online community platform that enables organizations to connect with their customers, partners, and employees in a whole new way. With Community Cloud, organizations can easily create and manage online communities tailored to their specific needs and goals. Community Cloud provides a variety of features and tools that make it easy to build and manage an online community, including:
- Community templates and themes: With Community Cloud, organizations can choose from various templates and themes to create an online community that matches their brand and style.
- Community builder: The Community builder tool makes it easy to create and customize an online community without needing any coding or design experience.
- Community moderation: Community Cloud includes various tools that make it easy to keep your community safe and clean.
- Community analytics: With Community Cloud, organizations can track and analyze the activity in their online community to ensure they are meeting their goals.
CRM Analytics (AKA. Tableau CRM)
Tableau CRM is a powerful analytic tool allowing businesses to gain insights into customer data. With Tableau CRM, businesses can track customer behavior, identify trends, and predict future behavior. It also allows businesses to segment their customers and target them with specific marketing campaigns.
Salesforce technologies are some of the most popular and in-demand tools in the business world today. Companies of all sizes and industries use Salesforce to manage customer relationships, sales operations, and marketing campaigns.
Some of the Salesforce technologies are Sales Cloud, Service Cloud, Marketing Cloud, and Commerce Cloud. In addition to these products, they also offer several other services, such as SalesforceIQ, Salesforce Einstein, and App Cloud.
Salesforce technologies are cloud-based, making them accessible from anywhere with an internet connection. They are also highly customizable so that businesses can tailor them to their needs. Salesforce technologies constantly evolve, so companies can always take advantage of the latest features and capabilities.
How Does Salesforce Pervade Itself in Various Areas?
Salesforce pervades itself in various areas, such as customer relationship management (CRM), cloud computing, analytics, e-commerce, artificial intelligence (AI), and the Internet of Things (IoT). There are plenty of reasons behind it.
- Salesforce provides users comprehensive tools to manage customer data, automate processes, analyze data and insights, and create personalized customer experiences.
- Salesforce also offers a variety of solutions for customer service, marketing automation, commerce, app development, and more.
- It helps companies to keep track of their sales data, customers, and other important information.
- Additionally, it provides a user-friendly platform for managing business processes and automating repetitive tasks.
Because of this, Salesforce has integrated with many other popular third-party services, such as Google, Amazon, and Microsoft, to provide even more solutions for businesses of all sizes.
Salesforce Use Cases
- Automating Sales Processes: Salesforce allows sales teams to automate tasks such as lead qualification, customer segmentation, and contact management. Automation helps sales teams to save time and effort, increase customer engagement, and close more deals.
- Lead Tracking and Scoring: Salesforce enables organizations to track customer journeys and log customer interactions. It also helps sales teams score leads based on customer profiles and behavior.
- Customer Relationship Management: Salesforce helps organizations manage customer relationships by providing insights into customer behavior and needs. It allows sales teams to understand customer trends and better engage customers at every stage in their sales pipeline.
- Reporting and Analytics: Salesforce provides sales teams with real-time insights and reports on customer behavior, sales performance, and customer trends. This helps teams to understand customer trends and make informed decisions about their sales process.
Canon Case Study
Here, you will see the business challenges faced by Canon and how Salesforce helped the company resolve it.
Canon, the Japanese multinational company, had a significant challenge in tracking the activities of their vast sales staff regularly. It could not capture what its employees and customers thought about its products, services, and business operations. The company could not collect and analyze customer information to improve its business.
To solve these issues, Canon used Salesforce to connect with its employees and customers. It was now able to understand better the customer's needs and how customers receive new products. With Salesforce, sales representatives could now provide updates on customer engagements to supervisors in real-time. Canon was also able to generate insights by capturing customer activity.
This shows how Salesforce has been key to helping Canon share information effectively to help their customers.
Also Read: What Does the Future Hold For Salesforce?
Salesforce is a popular CRM platform today. After reading this tutorial, you would know what CRM is, why Salesforce, what is Salesforce, Salesforce services, and its applications.
If you are interested to learn more about Salesforce check out Simplilearn’s Salesforce Admin Certification Training where you will learn how to manage and develop apps for one of the most popular CRM platforms worldwide. If you are looking to enhance your software development skills further, we would highly recommend you to check Simplilearn's Professional Certificate Program in Full Stack Development - MERN. This program can help you hone the right skill and make you job ready in no time.
Do you have any questions with respect to this article on what is Salesforce? If you do, then please put it in the comments section of this tutorial. Our team will solve your queries at the earliest. Click on the following video to know more: What is Salesforce?
1. What is Salesforce?
Salesforce is a cloud-based customer relationship management (CRM) platform. It enables businesses to manage their customer relationships more efficiently and organizationally.
2. What are the benefits of using Salesforce?
Salesforce can help businesses to improve their customer relationships by providing them with a more efficient and organized way to manage their data. It can also help businesses to save time and money by automating various processes.
3. How can businesses use Salesforce?
Salesforce can be used to manage customer data, automate processes, and improve customer relationships. Businesses can use Salesforce to save time and money while improving customer relationships.