The essence of DevOps is to offer continuous delivery of software functionality. In reality, this means that you have the confidence that you can make 10, 20, or a hundred software releases to your customer every day. To accomplish this level of release requires that you take advantage of three key technologies: automation, scripting, and testing. In this AWS and DevOps article, you will learn how to use the tools you are using with your current DevOps teams and turn the dial up to eleven when you partner with AWS.
DevOps brings together cultural philosophies, practices, and tools that increase your company's ability to deliver applications and services faster. The velocity that DevOps enables companies to serve their customers better and compete more effectively in the market.
There are six essential best practices you should apply to your DevOps team. They include:
- Continuous Integration: The software for Continuous Integration offers your development team the option to merge their code changes into a central repository regularly. Each code check-in can then be tested and built.
- Continuous Delivery: The software for Continuous Delivery ensures that code changes are automatically built, tested, and set up for release to production.
- Microservices: Application programming interface (API) is a microservices architecture where the design approach is to build a single application as a set of small services.
- Infrastructure as Code: Infrastructure is orchestrated using code and software development techniques, such as version control and Continuous Integration.
- Monitoring and Logging: Monitor applications and infrastructure performance to provide metrics and logs that determine the health of the infrastructure.
- Communication and Collaboration: Keep teams and systems connected through open and consistent communication.
The six principles form the focus for DevOps. For each of these areas, there are tools.
The AWS Tools Needed for DevOps
Software tools are central to DevOps teams. To meet the demands of a DevOps team, AWS offers the following solutions:
- Software Release Workflows with AWS CodePipeline
- Build and Test Code with AWS CodeBuild
- Deployment Automation with AWS CodeDeploy
- Unified Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) Projects with AWS CodeStar
AWS CodePipeline builds, tests, and deploys code every time there is a code change. This automation enables you to deliver features and updates quickly. The result is that AWS CodePipeline becomes your CI/CD service for fast and reliable solution updates.
AWS CodeBuild is a full build service that compiles source code, runs tests, and produces software packages that are ready to deploy. With AWS CodeBuild, you don't need to manage, provision, and scale your build servers. AWS CodeBuild scales continuously and processes multiple builds concurrently, so your builds are not left waiting in a queue.
AWS CodeDeploy makes it simpler to release new features quickly, reduces downtime during application deployment, and handles the complexity of updating your applications.
AWS CodeStar provides a centralized user interface to develop, build, and deploy applications on AWS quickly.
How AWS is Helping DevOps?
Not content with just having industry class solutions, AWS wants to help grow the DevOps community. They are doing this through the following:
- Marketplace https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/b/2649279011?nc2=h_ql_mp_dops - a massive collection of Open Source and 3rd party DevOps tools you can plug into your AWS experience
- Partner Solutions https://aws.amazon.com/devops/partner-solutions/ - find companies who can help accelerate your DevOps adoption
- Resources https://aws.amazon.com/devops/resources/ - a central location for training, certification, guides, presentations, tutorials, and whitepapers
- DevOps Blog https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/devops/ - the latest DevOps content and information from AWS specifically for the DevOps community
- The Amazon Builders Library https://aws.amazon.com/builders-library/?cards-body.sort-by=item.additionalFields.customSort&cards-body.sort-order=asc - a central source where Amazon shares how they build solutions
The goal for all of the services above is to provide all levels of education and support needed from executives looking to invest in AWS through to advanced Kubernetes managers.
Learn about the AWS architectural principles and services like IAM, VPC, and more with the AWS Solutions Architect Course. Register today.
Future Solution Delivery
Future software delivery with DevOps and automation isn't just about IT automating its physical operations. Still, it is a significant advance in their ability to keep their systems running effectively and reliably. Maybe you'll have a next step that will allow you to achieve a greater level of automation, quality, and efficiency. Or, perhaps you want to deploy automation for the security of your business. AWS is now offering the tools you need to implement DevOps successfully. It is an incredibly exciting time to be in the software delivery world from fixing bugs in development to troubleshooting product defects to notifying customers of service disruptions and maintaining the inventory of their software delivery pipelines.
Simplilearn can empower your DevOps team to take full advantage of AWS DevOps services through our Blended Learning programs in DevOps and Cloud computing with the DevOps Certification Training Course and the AWS Cloud Architect Master's Program. If you are a DevOps engineer or aspire to become one you can check out the DevOps Engineer Master's Program and prepare yourself for an AWS-powered future with Simplilearn courses and programs.