Microsoft Excel is a software spreadsheet designed and deployed to manage tabular data, most of which is numbers. Time and again, you might want to add up the numbers to find totals. So, to make things easy, Excel has this inbuilt feature called Autosum in excel.
This article on Autosum in Excel will help you learn the fundamentals of the autosum feature and how to implement it in real-time.
What Is Autosum in Excel?
Autosum in Excel is a built-in summation feature employed to automatically add up the numbers in a few clicks to save time.
Now, in the next section, let us try to practically implement the Autosum feature in excel.
How to implement Autosum in Excel?
Autosum in excel is a simple operation that can be carried out in a few clicks, as shown below.
Consider a sample store data categorized into five different zones and four different quarters, as shown below.
Now let us imagine a use case where we are supposed to calculate the sum of all sales from all the zones in Q1. Also, let us consider another use case, where we will try to calculate the sum of all sales from one zone throughout the year.
We are considering two use cases as we are trying to implement the Autosum feature in excel row-wise and column-wise.
First Use Case.
We will try to calculate the sum of all sales from Q1 from all four zones. Looking at the sample data, we are supposed to have our result in cell "C7".
- Navigate to Cell "C7".
- Select the" Home" tab on the toolbar
- Navigate to the editing group
- Click on the Sigma symbol as shown below
- The Sigma symbol represents summation.
- To avoid any ambiguities, you can always click on the dropdown and ensure the operation selected is "Summation," as shown below.
- Now, after we click on the Sigma symbol, excel will automatically highlight the added cells and implement the summation operation as shown below.
- Now press "Enter," The result is stored in Cell "C7".
- Drag the same cell to all the remaining cells (D7, E7, and F7) to get the results of Q2, Q3, and Q4, respectively.
Second Use Case
Follow the same method as before. Here we needed the sum of all sales throughout the year from individual zones.
- To calculate the yearly sales of East Zone, select cell G2
- Now click on the "Sigma" symbol.
- Excel will automatically highlight the cells from C2 to F2 and the Sum function.
- Press Enter and the result will be saved in G2.
- Drag the same cell through G3, G4, G5, and G6 to get the results of the West, South, North, and Central zones
- The result is shown as follows.
So with that, we have come to an end of this article on autosum in excel.
Kick-start your career growth story with PGP in Business Analysis. Get a chance to master Excel, Tableau, and Python tools. Start learning now!
"Hyperlinks in Excel" can be your next stop. Hyperlinks can ease up the task of navigating in excel. Whether you want to navigate to a webpage, dashboard, existing document in the local system, or write an email to a friend. All the activities mentioned can be done with a single click using Microsoft Excel.
Are you curious to learn more about Microsoft Excel, receive virtual training, and get certified in the domain of Business intelligence and analytics?
Feel free to go through the Business Analytics certification course offered by Simplilearn. The course offered by simplilearn os is career-oriented and helps you learn according to the current IT standards. Simplilearn's training will help you with the fundamental concepts of data analytics and statistics, enabling you to devise insights from data to present your findings using executive-level dashboards and help you develop data-driven decision-making.
Got any queries for us? Please leave your doubts in the comments section of this "Excel Data Cleaning" tutorial, and our team of experts will be happy to resolve all your questions.