With the technological advancement in society, everybody can utilize Google, which is one of the most popular search engines used worldwide. You use Google to search for information, data, and other online resources. But Google isn’t just limited to this. In this tutorial on what is Google Dorking, you will see how to apply Google search techniques for hacking practices.
What Is Google Dorking?
Google Dorking or Google hacking refers to using Google search techniques to hack into vulnerable sites or search for information that is not available in public search results.
The Google search engine works similarly to an interpreter using search strings and operators. For example, you can say that Google reacts sensitively to certain search strings when applied with specific operators. However, you will learn more about it later in the tutorial on ‘what is Google Dorking’.
Search Operators and Commands
This section will look at some details about various operators and commands you can apply to hack into sensitive data available on the internet using the Google search engine.
Operators and commands:
- Specific Site: This operator is used to search for a specific site.
Example: site: name of the website
- Specific URL: This operator is used to search for a specific keyword in the URL of the website.
Example: inurl: specified keyword
- Specific text in the title: This operator is used to search for data in reference to its title keyword.
Example: intitle: required keyword
- Specific text: This operator searches for specific content on the internet.
Example: intext: required keyword
- Specific filetype: This operator searches for a specific file type available on the internet.
Example: filetype: pdf,doc, log, etc.
- Specific keyword: This operator is used to search for specific data on the internet.
Example: “search keyword”
- Excluding Specific keyword: This operator is used to search for data, excluding the specified content mentioned with the operator.
Example: cyber security -site: wikipedia.org
- OR & AND operator: These operators are combined with other search strings to give out more efficient search results.
Example: “river” AND “cap”
Example: “river” OR “town”
Advanced Operators and Combinations
In this section of the tutorial on what is Google Dorking, you will not only see the working of advanced search operators but also see the combination of various operators.
To filter our search results to maximum efficiency, you require advanced operators and a combination of multiple operators.
But to avoid typing the operators and combinations each time to search for information, you can refer to the Google Hacking Database. The Google Hacking Database is a database with hundreds of combinations of multiple operators and advanced operators.
Some of the examples are:
- Webcam/Camera Feeds: By applying this search string, you can access open/public webcams or CCTVs available on the internet.
Search String: intitle:”webcamXP 5”
- [Specific keyword] filetype of file: By combining two operators, you can filter the search results further.
Search String: amazon.com filetype:pdf
- Searching for Log files: You can access log-type files available on the internet using the following search string. This String can be used to access public passwords.
Search String: filetype: log
Safety Measures Against Google Dorking
With the information mentioned in this tutorial on what is Google Dorking, you have understood that your data is not entirely safe on the internet.
To safeguard our information from Google Dorking/Google Hacking to a certain extent, you can refer to some of the below-mentioned measures:
- Use passwords to protect data and information directories.
- Apply tools to search for loopholes in the information available on the internet.
- Store sensitive data and passwords in complex patterns rather than plaintext.
In this tutorial on what is Google Dorking, you understood how to apply Google search techniques to access sensitive information that was knowingly or unknowingly released on the internet.
As learned earlier in the tutorial, you can also apply advanced search strings to search for important data. For example, Google Dorking is just a way for you to gain experience with the hacking techniques and not perform illegal hacking attempts.
To learn more about the topic and become an expert in various aspects of cyber skills, you can check out to Simplilearn’s Professional Certificate Program In Ethical Hacking And Penetration Testing or Cyber Security Expert course. By the end of this professional course, you will not only become proficient in cyber security skills but also gain some knowledge from the perspective of a hacker and will be able to protect your system from attacks similar to Google Dorking.
Do you have any questions related to this tutorial on what is Google Dorking? If yes, feel free to mention them in the comment section at the bottom of this page. Our team will help you solve your queries ASAP.